Zio Event Card

I Forget I am Wearing the iRhythm Zio Event Card!

Nov 21, 2011 (Updated Nov 21, 2011)

Pros:Easy to use
Easy to wear
Lightweight

Cons: Should have a cover over the "Record" button so it is not pressed accidentally.

The Bottom Line: The iRhythm Zio Event Card is lightweight and very simple to use.  It records only the events you wish to record.

When my electrophysiologist told me I had to wear another heart monitor, I nearly flipped!

I had just completed three weeks of heart monitoring through CardioNet.

The monitor I was prescribed this time, is a 30 day event monitor called the  iRhythm Zio Event Card.  This device only records events you choose to record, unlike the CardioNet which monitored my heart rhythm 24/7.

Description:

The iRhythm Zio Event Card monitors the electrical activity of the heart only when you feel symptoms and the “Record” button is pressed.

The device is about the same size as a credit card, measuring only 3 ¼” x 1 7/8”.  It measures ¼” in thickness.  The device and wires are white in color.  The wires are about the same thickness as the wires to an ipod.  The end snap of one wire is white and the other is black.

On the device itself, there is a green “Send” button on the top left side and a black “Record” button in the middle.  On the end where the wires are attached, there is a black phone icon next to a small hole where the event is transmitted.
A grey cord is included in the kit if you would like to wear the device around the neck.  There is also a plastic belt clip which I prefer.

The IRhythm Zio Event Card only stores up to two events and the data has to be transmitted.  An orange light will flash if the memory is full.

Connecting the Zio:

The included electrodes are to be placed on the chest – one is placed on the upper,  right chest and the other on the bottom, left side of the rib cage.  The white wire is snapped to the right electrode and the black wire is snapped to the left side.

To Record an Event:

When you feel an arrhythmia, you are to press the “Record” button.  A green light will flash for about twenty seconds.  During this time, you should remain still.  The device will beep and the green light will stop flashing when the recording is completed.

To Transmit an Event:

A toll free number is provided to call from your land line phone only.  You must unsnap one or both of the wires from the electrodes.

Remove the Zio card from the belt clip and place on a flat surface.

Place the mouthpiece of your land line phone directly over the phone icon on the device.

Press the green “Send” button on the device.  You will hear beeping and the device will flash green.

When the tone ends, the technician will let you know if you have successfully transmitted your heart rhythm data.

My Experience:

The iRhythm Zio Event Card is so small and light in weight that I sometimes forget that I am wearing the device.  I have only had to record one event this past week and it was something minor like a few PVC’s.  I have to wait at least a minute before I press “Record” again.  If I have recorded two of the same type of events within five minutes, I will not record another event unless it is a different rhythm.  I am very aware of the different rhythms, so I have no problem knowing when they occur.

The only problem I have encountered with the iRhythm Zio Event Card is that there is no cover over the “Record” button and I have accidentally pressed it a couple of times.  The clasp of the belt clip should be devised to cover the front of the device instead of the back.  Then, there would be no chance of hitting the “Record” button by accident.

I wear the IRhythm Zio Event Card by placing it inside the belt clip, putting it in my pants pocket, and securing it to the outside of my pocket with the clasp of the belt clip.

I can remove the IRhythm Zio Event Card any time I wish and hope an event doesn’t occur.  I don’t worry about this too much, for my acute events are sustained for at least two hours and I have plenty of time to attach the device quickly to begin recording upon pressing “Record.”

So far, I have one week down and three more to go.  Hopefully, I won’t have to press the “Record” button too many times!

Cost:

I do not know the cost of the 30 day monitoring with the iRhythm Zio Event Card, for it will be billed to my insurance company.  The cost is usually paid by one’s insurance company minus the deductible and co-payment.

The iRhythm Zio Event Card is marketed by iRhythm Technogy, Inc. in collaboration with St. Jude Medical, Inc.

Thank you for reading my review.

Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 28.5 Intermediate Basketball

Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 28.5 Intermediate Basketball

The Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 28.5 Intermediate Basketball features a foam-backed design and full ball pebbling for superior per...
Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball

Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball

The Spalding NBA Zio Excel Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball features a composite cover, foam-backed design and full ball pebbling for su...
Spalding NBA Zio Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball

Spalding NBA Zio Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball

The Spalding NBA Zio Indoor/Outdoor Composite 29.5 Men's Basketball is designed with a durable composite cover for indoor and outdoor use.