Insignia NS-CLWL01 Clock Radio Reviews

Insignia NS-CLWL01 Clock Radio

Buzzy radio at low volume

Nov 6, 2011
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Sound:

Pros:Digital tuning and a LED screen!

Cons:Buzzy radio at lower volumes.

The Bottom Line:

Could have been a great radio but lousy radio sound.

This radio has been discontinued, but I bought one off E-bay for $14.99.  It had what I was looking for, and haven't found in new radios: digital tuning and a LED screen.  The backlit LCD screens that are popular these days are too bright and disturb my wife, even when you can adjust the brightness.  The indoor/outdoor temperature on this clock radio was a nice bonus.  But right away I was very disappointed in the radio.  The volume is set with VOL+ and VOL- buttons.  At volume levels 1 to 3 the sound is very buzzy.  At level 1 the radio is still too loud, and you can't make out your station.  All you here is the static-buzzing.  Volume 4 and above is fine for listening to in a room, but way too loud for right by your bed while you lie there.
I set up the outdoor transmitter.  It was a little difficult to find a place that would transmit the signal to our second-floor bedroom.  Three places I tried didn't consistently get the signal to the radio.  But I eventually found a place that worked.
Another con would be the small speaker and being a little too complicated.  It has 15 buttons.  They are all labeled and intuitive but when you look at the radio you may think, "That's a lot of buttons."
Here is the product website:

INSIGNIA CLOCK RADIO w/ WAKE UP LIGHT DOCK FOR iPOD Brand Name: Insignia Model Number: NS-CLWLO1 Manufacturer Part Number: 10G07B Technical Details Co...