Intolerable Cruelty (DVD, 2004, Full Frame Edition) Reviews

Intolerable Cruelty (DVD, 2004, Full Frame Edition)

Intolerable Cruelty ~ Clooney in a Kilt!

Oct 13, 2003

Pros:Clooney in a kilt!

Cons:Hmm just a bit slow in a few parts.. not bad

The Bottom Line: Can I sue the bottom line for divorce?

Ooooh oooh ooooooooh! Those of you who read my reviews know I'm a sucker for a man in a kilt... I also have a crush on George Clooney (Solaris, Welcome to Collinwood, Three Kings). Who knew the two would come together? I can now die a happy woman.

Intolerable Cruelty is a very fun romp. You have this divorce lawyer, see, and then you have this gold digger. They both play the game to the hilt. No matter what the circumstances, if Miles Massey is your divorce lawyer, you're gonna win. He doesn't believe in looove. Oh no. It's all about assets. Then you have Marylin Rexroth, who is divorcing the wealthy Rex Rexroth.. and he has Massey on his side. Poor Marylin gets the shaft and targets dear ol' Miles, the master of the game.

Along the way, Clooney gets into a kilt! Woohoo!

I said he's in a kilt. Why are you still here? Man, you guys are demanding. Fine. He acts well too. Ok ok.. you got your trademark Clooney ornery grin happenin throughout this flick, and those eyes! So expressive are those eyes. Even if you couldn't see the rest of his body (or that one brief belly shot) you would know you're in trouble when you see that twinkle in those eyes of his. The kilt was just icing on the hunk. Oh yeah, he plays Miles Massey. heh.

Catherine Zeta-Jones (Chicago, Mask of Zorro, Traffic) is the most gorgeous Marylin Rexroth. I've heard it said there was a lack of chemistry between her and Clooney... I disagree. I wouldn't say they heated up the screen totally. I mean I didn't feel the need for a cold shower after watching this, but they did play well off each other. Very well.

The rest of the cast was no slouches either. Geoffrey Rush was dashing yet comical as the first client of the movie who gets screwed royally by Massey. That poney tail was just perfect! Cedric the Entertainer was comical as Gus Petch, a PI who nails their ass when a spouse is cheating. Then ya have Billy Bob Thornton and Julia Duffy in bit parts, and they both just further the plot in the most delightful ways.

This fine movie was brought to you by the Coen brothers, the men who also brought us the likes of Raising Arizona, Fargo, O Brother, Where Art Thou? and The Big Lebowski. All of which were immensely enjoyable. These boys just have a habit of churning out some of the best movies ever. Want a good time? Look for a Coen movie. Hey, I even liked the much maligned Hudsucker Proxy.

Even the opening credit sequence was a delight! It's done in sort of a shadowbox effect, only moving.. think the God scene from Holy Grail. Very entertaining.

Also, watch for the scene with Irwin Keyes as Wheezy Joe. I am not going to give it away.. but the whole theater just lost it. We were crying we laughed so hard.

Intolerable Cruelty is Rated PG-13 for sexual content, language and brief violence. Bah I say. There is nothing in this movie that is going to have your kids joining Future Serial Killers of America. Let them have fun if they have an interest in watching this.

Final verdict: 4 stars. Overall I enjoyed this one a great deal, but there were just a few spots that maybe could have been better somehow. I was actually thinking 3.5 stars but the kilt thang pushes it up to a solid 4. heh.

George Clooney establishes himself as a true Hollywood movie star and heir to the Cary Grant throne in this hysterical dark romantic comedy from the C...