Intuit Quicken Home and Business 2013

Quicken 2013 & what happens when upgraded to 2014

Oct 10, 2012 (Updated Jan 5, 2014)

Pros:Pretty packaging.

Cons:Quicken2013: Worst I've had in 22years. 2014 is better, still has some bugs.

The Bottom Line: I gave up on Quicken 2013 until 2014 was released. Now running 2014 which has some bugs but seems considerably better (much faster install, almost accurate sync).

Quicken is a software I've been using for over 23 years and I've even been a beta tester for Intuit (the publisher).

On January 5, 2014 I upgraded to Quicken Home & Business 2014 and I am including it in this review ONLY because Epinions has not created a listing for the 2014 edition as of this date, where I can post that review. Scroll down to 2014 EDITION if you're only interested in what I've discovered after using the 2014 edition.

Sorry to report but Quicken Home and Business 2013 has so many bugs, I suggest waiting until you see something on their website stating that they have resolved ALL the major install and syncing issues. Here's why I say this:

Installation. Installed on a desktop system running Windows XP SP2 in a custom system with Intel i5-2500K quad core and 4GB of DDR3 RAM that normally runs flawlessly at warp speed (because I built it).

First time I tried to install the software, it froze halfway through the installation. I rebooted cleared all cache and tried again.

Second time it didn't freeze but took more than 15 minutes to download all the updates, which it forces you to do before the app will open and run. I have a 3Mbps DSL internet connection.

Application Bugs. Upon converting and opening my 2012 files, Quciken 2013 refused to open or run ANY of my saved reports.  In addition, Intuit has changed the way you create reports and after 2 or 3 minutes of trying to figure out the new method, I gave up.

Before you can sync data with their mobile app, you create a cloud account with User ID and password. Quicken 2013 then uploads your accounts data and is also supposed to download something. I say "something" because this is where another error pop-up appeared.

Syncing with Android app. I installed the free app on my Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and Nexus 7 tablet. The app installed without a problem and I logged in using same User ID and password that was created in the desktop app. The Android app failed to show all my accounts and had the wrong current balance for my main checking account.

On October 9, 2012 I received an email from Quicken that acknowledges "some issues" with Quicken 2013, says they have an update available now that "should resolve many of the issues" but does not state that they have resolved ALL the issues customers are experiencing.

I uninstalled Quicken 2013 and went back to my smooth-running Quicken 2012. Good thing I remembered to save a copy of my .qdf file BEFORE I was forced to uninstall 2012 during the Quicken 2013 installation process. If you have a normal install of an older Quicken, you can find your qdf file inside the folder at c:\program files\quicken.

Bottom Line. In it's present condition, I suggest that my worst enemies purchase and install Quicken 2013 now.  Everyone else would be wise to wait until The Quicken 2013 team announces that they have resolved ALL the aforementioned issues customers are experiencing.

OCTOBER 20, 2012 UPDATE: Having waited 11 days since the email which said the major bugs had been fixed, I decided to give Quicken 2013 another try. Here's what I found this time:
1. Took 14 minutes to install, including 9 minutes to download updates.
2. Now shows all the Reports I had created in Quicken 2012
3. Now showing a category under Accounts list called "Separate" with a huge minus balance and I'm not sure how to get rid of or hide it. In Quicken 2012 my "Other Accounts" balance shows $0.
4. Did not crash or cause error when uploading data to cloud account.
5. Syncing with mobile app is still showing WRONG current balances.
Out of 5 accounts listed, the mobile app is showing the correct balance for only 1 account. IMHO, it's kind of pointless to have a mobile app that shows incorrect balances so I'm sticking to my suggestion to WAIT UNTIL QUICKEN FIXES THIS MAJOR BUG if you're planning to buy Quicken 2013 to get accurate data on your mobile device(s).

NOVEMBER 18, 2012 UPDATE: Thinking that a month and installing it in Windows 8 (vs. my prior installs in Xp) might makes some differences, I tried Quicen 2013 one more time. other than a slightly faster install thanks to Windows 8, no noticeable bug fixes so I uninstalled and went back to Quicken 2012. I also looked at some more current Q2013 reviews on Amazon and those reviewers seem to concur. One thing I find amusing is that Amazon is now charging MORE for Quicken 2012 than they are for Quicken 2013! Need I say any more.

JANUARY 23, 2013 UPDATE: Received an email today from Barry Saik, Vice President & General Manager, Intuit Personal Finance Group which said "Good news—there are significant updates available that specifically address the issues some of you may have experienced with your Quicken 2013 software. Please know that our team has heard the feedback and delivered an updated experience for 2013."

Despite routinely seeing more complaints from other Quicken 2013 users over the past 2 months, I decided to give it another try. If the Quicken 2013 Team were in the NFL, I think the coach players should be fired:
1. Still showing a huge erroneous negative balance for accounts that have been dormant for years (and that show zero balances in Quicken 2012).
2. Quicken Mobile is getting closer but still not showing 100% accurate current balances on my accounts.
Bottom Line: Back to Quicken 2012 I go, AGAIN ! Since I also ran into problems with the latest TurboTax (you'll find my separate review of it in epinions), I bought the H&R Block tax software to do my 2012 return and MAYBE the people at H&R will consider getting into the accounting software biz after they realize how Intuit is shooting itself in the foot with their latest software.

UPDATE MAY 28, 2013: Problem reports from other Quicken 2013 users continue to flow into my email box almost weekly. However, I'm curious to see if Intuit has fixed any of the bugs I encountered last Fall so I plan to give Quicken 2013 another chance next week. Maybe the Summer heat will help it.

P.S. If you think my review is negative, read reviews for Quicken Home and Business 2013 on the amazon product page. One guy was so upset at the bugs, he suggested a class action suit.  It appears that Amazon has become acutely aware of the Q2013 fisaco because in the past 2 weeks they've lowered the price twice but it's still $75 too much until Intuit fixes the bugs.

2014 EDITION

It seems that the people at Intuit may have gotten the message about their 2013 fiasco based on feedback from my review and many others posted all over the web.

Before installiung Quicken 2014 I created a System Restore Point on my Windows 8.1 desktop system, just in case Q2014 causes any damage. In case anyone is curious, my desktop has an i5-2500k overclocked to 4.4Ghz, 4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM and Samsung 840 EVO SSD main drive. Ij other words, it is fast (boots to Win 8.1 desktop in 8 seconds).

Installing Quicken Home & Business 2014 took about 30 seconds, including checking for updates. That in itself is a HUGE improvement from Q2013, Q2012 and even a few more years back so Intuit gets a kudo for this achievement.

Converting my Q2013 data to Q2014 took about 12 seconds. Looked like I have about 150,000 records.

Opened Quicken 2014 and main screen appeared same as last year. Then a pop-up appeared asking if I want to set-up or store data in "the cloud" or use Sync  so my smartphone and tablet could access data. Be advised that Q2014 can NOT sync data from ANY investment accounts (such as Ameritrade or eTrade). I set it up to sync 2 checking accounts and 2 savings accounts. Downloaded the free Quicken 2014 Android app from Google's PlayStore to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Sorry Intuit but you still have bugs in your sync system because total was still not 100% accurate. I also discovered that to log out of the app you must click setting icon in upper right, then scroll down until you see the LOG OUT section. Come on Intuit, haven't you ever heard of including an X in upper right corner of main screen like you have in your desktop app?

Not sure if it's a bug or there's a workaround but I have already one complaint that is starting to bug me. When i open the desktop and enter my password, prior versions of Quicken would automatically place and size the main window to where I had it when the app was used previously. Quicken 2014 is refusing to do that. It insists on opening full screen on my left minotor (I have a pair of 22") even though I want a reduced size window on my right monitor. This means 2 extra steps for me every time I run it.

Tablet use. My latest "toy" is the Dell Venue 8 Pro which I'm very happy with except for the tiny text in default mode. I installed Quien 2014 on the tablet. It installed and converted data but took a few more seconds than on my desktop (but still VERY fast). In this case, opening Q2014 to full screen was especially annoying because I couldn't access my pop-up keyboard to enter the password that opens Quicken! I had to close Quicken, open keyboard, restart Quicken, manually move the log in window ... all this extra work because Intuit insists on opening in full screen. Wake up Intuit!  I will try to find a workaround for this and if I do, I'll update this review along with anything else I discover as I use Quicken 2014.

Quicken(R) Home Business 2010, Traditional Disc

Quicken(R) Home Business 2010, Traditional Disc

Manage your personal and home-based business finances Helps you organize and manage your finances, all in one place. Lets you take charge of your pers...

Intuit Quicken 2008 Starter Edition

Intuit Quicken 2008 Starter Edition

Product Features Designed for first-time users only, Quicken Starter Edition will get you up-and-running quickly Make online banking even better. Brin...

Intuit Quicken Home And Business 2014 - Retail Sealed Box , 421189

Intuit Quicken Home And Business 2014 - Retail Sealed Box , 421189

INTUIT QUICKEN HOME BUSINESS 2014 SIMPLIFY ORGANIZE YOUR MONEY Shows your bank credit card together Securely imports your bank transactions until 2017...

Brand Intuit Quicken 2008 Starter Edition Track Your Spending Expenses

Brand Intuit Quicken 2008 Starter Edition Track Your Spending Expenses

Quicken 2008 Starter Edition provides basic tools for managing your financial accounts all in one place.Quicken 2008 Starter Edition was developed for...

Intuit Quicken Starter Edition 2011, Brand New, No Box, Sealed

Intuit Quicken Starter Edition 2011, Brand New, No Box, Sealed

Quicken Starter Edition 2011,Brand New, No Box By Bidding on this auction you agree to be bound by the terms of the auction and eBay's Policies. Pleas...
Quicken(R) Home Business 2015, For Windows, Traditional Disc

Quicken(R) Home Business 2015, For Windows, Traditional Disc

Manage your home and finances the easy way Organize your personal and business finances in 1 place. At a glance view of business profit or loss as wel...

Intuit Quicken 2008 Premier For Windows-brand Authentic

Intuit Quicken 2008 Premier For Windows-brand Authentic

Product Features Includes all the features of Quicken Deluxe, plus powerful investing tools to help you plan for your financial future and grow your i...

Intuit Quicken Premier 2013 Full Retail Version In Retail Box

Intuit Quicken Premier 2013 Full Retail Version In Retail Box

NEW Intuit Quicken Premier 2013 Full Retail Version in Retail Box Brand New Factory Sealed Product Description Platform: PC From the Manufacturer Quic...

Sealed Intuit Quicken Deluxe Version 4 For Windows 3.1 / 3.5 Hd Disks /3605

Sealed Intuit Quicken Deluxe Version 4 For Windows 3.1 / 3.5 Hd Disks /3605

new old stock - still shrink wrap sealed Intuit Quicken Deluxe for Windows includes Quicken Plus for Windows 3.1 - 3.5 HD disks enclosed - some small ...

Quicken(R) Essentials, For Mac, Traditional Disc

Quicken(R) Essentials, For Mac, Traditional Disc

Helps you save more and spend less Lets you organize your financial life. Lets you see your checking, savings, credit card, and investment account bal...