It Takes Two (DVD, 2009, Eco Amaray) Reviews

It Takes Two (DVD, 2009, Eco Amaray)

A Fun Family Movie

Nov 20, 2005

Pros:Great writing and funny jokes

Cons:The Olsen twins' poor acting

The Bottom Line: This movie was made to make you laugh. Don't expect Shakespeare and you'll enjoy it.

Amanda (Mary-Kate Olsen) lives in an orphanage where her only real friend is her social worker, Diane (Kirstie Alley). Alyssa (Ashley Olsen) is the only child of a multi-millionaire widower named Roger Callaway (Steve Guttenberg). But one summer, they meet by accident and hatch a daring plan. They switch places and try to get Amanda's social worker and Alyssa's dad to fall in love before he marries his awful fiancee (Jane Sibbett). But when the fiancee figures out what's going on, can the girls pull it off?

Granted, this movie is a variation of The Parent Trap. And while there were a few unexpected twists, there really isn't anything new to the plot.

But the movie is incredibly fun. The first time I saw it I laughed so hard it hurt, and I was in college at the time. The movie creates humor from the premise, such as Alyssa trying to use bad grammar or Amanda being expected to play a piano concerto. Sometimes, the jokes are set up well ahead of the punch line, like when Amanda first goes to the Callaway house or Alyssa has to win charades.

The Olsen twins are ok as the leads. They aren't the best actors but are still fun to watch. It's fun watching them basically play each other. The adults, on the other hand, do a fabulous job with their rolls, making it easy to get lost in this world. The chemistry between Steve Guttenberg and Kirstie Alley is so wonderful the romance is easy to believe. Jane Sibbett is outstanding in the thankless roll of the fiancee we can't wait to see leave for good. No, the rolls aren't Oscar worthy, and the adults know who the real stars are. But they are having fun and it makes the movie that much more charming.

The DVD was an early one, so it's pretty bare bones. The picture is cropped full frame and there are no extras. While wide screen would be nice, this DVD serves the needs of the film.

I have shared this movie with many friends since I first saw it, and they all enjoyed it. I highly recommend this entertaining film.

Available on DVD, It Takes Two is a family comedy based on the classic tale of two people switching places. Young Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson play two ...