John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (VHS, 2001) Reviews

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (VHS, 2001)

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

At least there was blood

May 5, 2002

Pros:Some good action scenes, blood, etc.

Cons:Uninspired dialogue, cheap look.

The Bottom Line: This movie is worth seeing, but only once. The plot is good, but the acting, dialogue, and special effects are weak, with some exceptions.

Ghosts of Mars is unlike any movie that I have seen. That could be a good thing, but in this case, I'm thinking that it's not. The first thing that I noticed was the camera work. The way that one scene fades into the next is odd, almost like something done on the local access cable channels. Camera angles are also very generic. It's almost like they borrowed camera crews from CNN or something. Almost no creativity.

In my opinion, the soundtrack can make or break a movie, and in this case, I think it broke it. While a good soundtrack could have worked up some suspense, this soundtrack almost makes it predictable.

The acting was decent. Ice Cube didn't take well to his role as a violent murder suspect. It seemed as though he needed to remain "Ice Cube", and refused to get into character. Whoever played the guy with the Aussie accent was pretty bad too. Everything he did or said seemed forced or faked. Natasha Henstridge was good in her role as the lead space cop (at least once her superior was beheaded). Unlike the other characters, she showed emotion and even a bit of panic in one scene.

The highlight of this movie comes when one of the surviving humans is trying to open a metal can while he is high on some kind of drug, and he slices his entire thumb off. The guy is too high to care though, and he holds the now-opened can up, and blood is gushing, and he's not even upset. That's just great! If only the rest of the movie was so creative. This movie does have a good plot though, and the story could have actually worked well, if only the other pieces had come together.

I'm not saying that the movie is terrible. I personally think that it's worth seeing. Just remember: RENT IT, don't buy it.

In the year 2176, Earth has colonized Mars, and all positions of power are held by women. Police Lieutenant Ballard (Natasha Henstridge) is assigned t...