Kate Somerville Exfoli R Intensive Exfoliating Treatment 2 oz (1201748) Reviews

Kate Somerville Exfoli R Intensive Exfoliating Treatment 2 oz (1201748)

Free Shipping Nordstrom

$85...But Worth Every Penny: Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment

Jul 3, 2012

Pros:Exfoliates very well; cleaner skin; quick and easy to use; nice scent

Cons:Uncomfortable burning sensation; expensive

The Bottom Line: This is a fabulous exfoliating product that does several things very well. Worth the price.

To be honest, seeing Kate Somerville present her skincare products on QVC was not a pleasant experience for me. She seemed too young to know her stuff, and her voice grated on my nerves. But after quite a long time (over a year) of watching her products presented on QVC, she grew on me a bit and I decided to try the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment in the 2 oz. size. I'm glad I did, as this is good stuff and is so quick and easy to use!

Product Details:

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment is a multi-tasking product that does several things – smoothes and polishes skin, cleans pores, fade discoloration and help reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. It’s olive green in color and looks like a facial scrub even though it really isn’t used like a scrub. It comes in a 2 oz. white plastic tube with a white plastic flip-bottom cap. The tube is packaged in an orange and silver box.
The directions for this product state that it should be used one or two times per week in the morning or evening.

From KateSomerville.com: What’s the next-best thing to an appointment with Kate? Getting her signature facial at home! Clarify and polish skin to reveal a glowing, fresh-from-the-Clinic complexion. Microbeads and Fruit Enzymes are intended to clean pores, while Salicylic Acid is formulated to balance hydration, without over-drying. See dramatically smoother, brighter, healthier-looking skin after just one treatment.

This product also comes in a .5 oz ($19) size and a 5 oz. ($175) size.

Ingredients (taken from packaging):

Water, lactic acid, polyethylene, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, soybean oil, pectin, carica papaya fruit, lactobacillus/cucurbita pepo fruit, ferment extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, papain, bromelain, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, mel, acetic acid, bergamot fruit oil, lavender oil, geranium maculatum oil, pogostemon cablin oil, rosewood oil, orange oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, salicylic acid, dehydroxantham gum, cetyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, cinnamal, potassium sorbate, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, citral, limonene, linalool, geraniol, citronellol, cinnamal, eugenol, benzyl benzoate, beta-carotene, chlorophyllin copper complex.

My Experience:

I was afraid to use this product at first, because while I do love facial scrubs and my Clarisonic Mia, I haven’t really used a lot of intensive exfoliating products or peel types of products. So this stuff sat in my bathroom closet for a couple of weeks before I got around to using it.

I was impressed by the simple instructions for using the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. “Once or twice weekly, gently apply an even layer ot a clean, wet face using circular motions. Leave on 20-30 seconds. Let the enzymes do the work. Gently wash off and pat dry.” How much easier could it possibly get? I was happy that this wasn’t a multi-step or multi-product type of exfoliating treatment.

So the first time I used this at night and followed the instructions exactly. I washed my face and left it wet. I then applied a thin (because it’s $85 a tube!), even layer in a circular motion and left it on for 30 seconds. The 30 second timeframe seemed fast to me – but I was glad it was only 30 seconds because this stuff is intense! It burns and is really uncomfortable. For the entire 30 seconds, all I could think was “I’m going to rinse this off and my face is going to be red for three days.” So I rinsed it off and patted my skin dry. My skin was a bit red, but nothing like I thought it would be. And the redness/pink lasted for just a few minutes - maybe five minutes. The packaging states that skin may stay red for up to 20 minutes after use due to the increase in circulation.

My skin felt smoother and softer right away and I felt like my skin was cleaner. Taking a closer look at my pores (especially the ones in my nose area), they looked cleaner as well. The next morning, my skin was definitely smoother and my moisturizer seemed to absorb into my skin faster and my makeup went on more smoothly. The results weren’t super dramatic but they were noticeable.

The second time I used Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment, I left it on for closer to two minutes. I probably wasn’t supposed to do this, but once again I felt like 20-30 seconds wasn’t long enough. And let me tell you – by the time two minutes is up, I couldn’t get this stuff off my face fast enough. The intensity of the burning sensation really wasn’t better the second time around, but at least I knew what to expect. As many times as I’ve used this product since purchasing it, I still dread the burning. But I do think that leaving it on more than the 20-30 seconds is better for me. It seems to exfoliate a bit more and my skin and pores in general seem to be cleaner. If you have sensitive skin, I would not leave this on for longer than 30 seconds – and if you feel like you need a bit more exfoliation from this product, then I would use it two or three times a week instead of leaving it on your face longer.

Despite its ugly, dark olive green color, this product smells great. It has a high-end, spa-type of scent. It smells like fruit (papaya maybe) and really is a pleasant product to use. It has the texture of a thick gel with scrubby particles. But despite the texture, you shouldn’t scrub your face with it because this product has enzymes that do the work for you by eating up the dead skin cells and the dirt and junk in your pores.

Using this product one or two times a week is good for me. I don’t use it with my Clarisonic Mia and I don’t use it with any sort of face cloth. I just apply it with my fingers and let it work by itself, then I rinse it off just using my hands. Anything else isn’t necessary. The long-term effects have been good for my face. It has definitely made my skin smoother and softer and has evened out the texture as well. It took several weeks for the texture to smooth out, but it was definitely worth the wait. My pores are cleaner as well and seem to stay cleaner longer.

Despite containing several oil ingredients (soybean, bergamot, lavender, orange, etc.), this product is not oily at all and does not leave a greasy residue on the face. And on the other side of that, it’s also not drying despite being a product that really heats up. I have normal to dry skin in the winter and normal skin in the summer that can go to oily pretty quickly depending on what foundation I’m using. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment hasn’t had an effect on the dryness or oiliness of my skin at all.

The 2 oz. tube will give you approximately 20 treatments, and probably more. It depends on how much you use and how often you use it. So far, I have used this probably 20 times and still have probably five uses left in the tube. I tend to use it a bit sparingly. I will definitely repurchase this product, as I love the results and definitely think it’s worth the price. It’s especially convenient for those who don’t have a lot of time to put into a skincare regimen and it is also travel-friendly. I would recommend trying the .5 oz. size first to see if you like the product, or at least purchasing it from Sephora since you can return it if you don’t like it after using it.

Price and Purchasing Information:

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment in the 2 oz. size is $85 and can be purchased online at Sephora.com, QVC.com and KateSomerville.com. It can be purchased at Sephora brick and mortar stores but this is the only brick and mortar store I know of that carries this product.

Store Payments Shipping Returns Terms Guarantee SKYLINEINFO Beauty Forever Lot of 2 Kate Somerville Exfoli Kate Intensive Exfoliating Trea tment 0.1 o...

This auction is for a Lot 2 Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment TRAVEL .25 oz ***Products available*** If this is listed as a d...
Free Shipping + 3 Free Beauty Samples! The next best thing to seeing Kate in the clinic! Treat yourself to a Kate Somerville Signature Facial at home ...
Nordstrom