Kodak ESP Office 2170 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Kodak ESP Office 2170 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

I'm skeptical

Sep 2, 2011 (Updated Sep 8, 2011)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Relatively (to other manufacturers) low pigmented ink cost.

Cons: slow print speed (providing quality) if using marked photo papers

The Bottom Line: Too early to tell  but so far so good.  Seems ok for the price.

I purchased the Kodak 2170 on sale for under $100 new.  It was easy to install following the directions.  I connected it to a computer running Vista via a USB cable (not provided). I was replacing an 8 year old Canon All in One printer.  My highest priority in a printer is low ink cost (and acceptable print quality and operation).  We print lots of photos and flyers for organizations.  Some things to note:

1)I felt the software installation took a longer time than needed, about 16 minutes including a firmware upgrade.  Overall setup took about 1 hour.
Since the original installation we were asked to take an update.  To do the update they stopped all other computer activity by blanking the screen and then downloaded software and installed it for 9 minutes.  At this point we got control back but they required a restart which took 6 more minutes.  It looked like this was a complete reinstallation of the software.

2)  8.5x11 photographs take about 1 min. 30 sec. to print and if it recognizes photo paper (marking on back) there is no work around to print faster.

3) On 8.5x11 paper the Kodak software leaves extra white space and makes pictures unnecessarily small if you have 4/page so we are using Canon's Zoom Browser software, but the Kodak software is quite capable for making color corrections, cropping, etc..  Note: the slider bars in the Kodak software are unusually narrow and some people may find it hard to slide things up and down without enlarging the page.

4) for color flyers on non photo paper, the print speed is about 3.5 ppm.

5) It says not to load heavier than 24 lb paper into the auto document feeder, so you can't scan in photographs that way.  We tried 48 lb Kodak picture paper and it smears the last inch of the scanned picture. You can scan heavier paper using the flatbed feature of the scanner however.

6) It does duplex printing if you turn the paper over manually.  If it senses one sided photo paper in the feeder (because of the marking on the back) it will not do two sided printing and warns you of the condition.  A nice touch.

7) It handles 67 lb card stock for printing ok.

8) We used up the first color cartridge in one day after running 31 pictures 8.5 X11 and 10 8.5x11 color flyers.  This is about what they advertise.  I have now put in a 30XL color cartridge to see what that yields.

9) The ink level goes down gradually on the display as you use ink.  There is no sensor within the cartridge or viewing port so ink use must be calculated by counting cartridge use.  When you are almost out of ink  the print function stops so you don't get pictures where some inks are missing.

10) Scanner works with my 3rd party software  PDF Converter by Nuance and Vuscan.  Their scanning software works well and allows corrections for each object scanned.

11) I printed several 4x6 borderless pictures (other sizes available) from an SD card. You can do this if you don't want to crop or otherwise enhance the picture. Printer recognizes size of paper and automatically puts as many pictures of the size you selected on the paper.

12) The printer uses pigmented rather than dye ink.  I have run finished prints under water, both photos and regular paper, and there is no smearing. I have not found aftermarket cartridges for this printer yet.

I have not tried the fax or wifi features or their OCR software.  So far no paper jams and too early to tell if print head dries up or has other problems.

Update 9/8/11 - We have used up the second color cartridge which was a 30XL cartridge.  We got 54 full 8.5x11 color pages and 26 color text flyers.  This seems to be a little less than double what we had for the first non XL cartridge.  We have also used up the first black non XL cartridge.  It produced 114 black and white pages.  If you add the color pages you get 267 pages which is well below the 335 text pages Kodak claims on their web site.  Apparently full color pages use more black ink than just black and white text pages.

Operating System: Windows

Brand Kodak Esp 5 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Esp5

Brand Kodak Esp 5 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Esp5

The Kodak ESP 5 InkJet Photo Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 2.0, Bluetooth.

Brand Kodak Esp 3250 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Esp3250

Brand Kodak Esp 3250 All-in-one Inkjet Printer Esp3250

Now complete all your printing, copying and scanning work in seconds with the ESP 3250 printer. Print your documents in bright colors and sharp text w...