Koss R80 Headband Headphones - Black Reviews

Koss R80 Headband Headphones - Black

excellent value

Jun 12, 2002 (Updated Jun 12, 2002)

Pros:Comfortable all day. Good fidelity. Strong bass.

Cons:I hoped for even better isolation.

The Bottom Line: These are an excellent value for their balance of isolation, comfort, and fidelity.

These headphones are comfortable to wear all day. I'm no audiophile, just an amateur musician who expects fidelity. To my ear the sound is outstanding. I listen to jazz, classical, and vocals. I like the deep bass that comes through.

As for isolation, let me set the stage. I work in a cube around noisy equipment. I had been using a pair of company-issued ear muffs -- the kind that clamp to your head and don't even enable you to hear your phone ring. But I couldn't hear my PC audio cues.

I also used other headphones that drowned out sound when I played music, but I wanted a pair that would muffle sound but would still enable me to hear my PC.

The R/80s aren't as insular as the ear muffs, but they're much more comfortable, so I like the tradeoff. When I need to concentrate, I turn off my music but leave the headphones on. It's good enough.

When I went shopping for headphones, I found no reviews at epinions.com, but there are some in the newsgroups (rec.audio.*). A search at groups.google.com brings up several recommendations of the R/80 headphones. Audiophiles qualified their praise by the fact that there are better headphones at much higher prices. I don't know about that. I'm simply delighted with my pair. They said I'd have to pay $50, and I nearly did. When I found them for $31.95 I felt like I couldn't go wrong. I was right!

Koss 154336, 154336 R/80 Full-size Home Stereophones, Upc: 0021299131978