Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath Reviews

Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath

What Does Lemon Custard Have To Do With Muffins? Philosophy The Muffin Man

Jan 13, 2013 (Updated Jan 13, 2013)

Pros:Great scent; concentrated; rinses clean; not drying; nice packaging

Cons:Lousy as a shampoo; not particularly moisturizing

The Bottom Line: This is a great, creamy lemon custard scented shower gel. I just don't get the "muffin man" reference!

I received Philosophy The Muffin Man Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath for Christmas, and as soon as I saw it, assumed that it would smell like muffins. However, this is a lemon custard scented product, which leaves me totally confused - I have no idea what lemon custard and muffins have to do with each other! This is still a great shower gel, though, and I love the creamy lemon scent.

Product Details:

Philosophy The Muffin Man Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath
is a seasonal (Christmastime) three-in-one product that does triple duty. It comes in a clear, rounded, plastic bottle (just like other, similar Philosophy products) with a black plastic flip-top cap that also screws off and on. The shower gel itself is a light, pearly yellow color. New for the holiday season 2012 was a box that the bottle was packaged in, which is mostly red with a yellow lattice design on the front. The box makes this product much more "giftable".

There is 16 oz. of gel in each bottle. This product currently comes in just one size.

Ingredients (taken from packaging):

Water, sodium laureth sulfate, PPG-2 hydroxyethyl cocamide, lauryl betaine, glycerin, glycol distearate, fragrance, allantoin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sunflower seed oil, panthenol, camellia sinensis leaf extract, tocopherol, tocotrienols, trilinolein, triolein, polyquaternium-7, polyquaternium-10, maltodextrin, methyl gluceth-20, sodium sulfite, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, polysorbate 20, sodium benzotriazolyl butylphenol sulfonate, buteth-3, tributyl citrate, sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, magnesium nitrate, sodium benzoate, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, disodium EDTA, potassium sorbate, maleic anhydride, methylene di-t-butylcresol, citral, limonene, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, BHT, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, FD&C red no. 40, FD&C yellow no. 5.

My Experience:

There are very few Philosophy Shampoo, Shower Gel and Bubble Bath scents I haven't tried over the years. The scents have come and gone, and some have been mainstays of this line of Philosophy products for several years. I like The Muffin Man for its creamy lemon scent and look forward to possibly buying it for myself when it comes out next Christmas. I would say it's one of the better holiday scents (even though it isn't actually a holiday scent) that they've had in recent years.

This three-in-one is very thick and rich, just like all of the other Philosophy three-in-one products. The consistency is a thick, creamy gel and a little really does go a long way. An amount about the size of a quarter is enough to make quite a bit of lather, and I usually am able to clean my entire body with just that much. I use a net pouf shower sponge, which are also sometimes called "lather builders", so I probably get more lather using one of those than I would get if I were to use just a wash cloth.

The creamy lemon scent of Philosophy The Muffin Man really is a nice scent. It's sort of sweet and a bit tangy at the same time. It smells like lemon custard, like the inside of a lemon custard donut. I love that scent! It doesn't smell super strong but definitely has a presence. The scent lingers in the shower area while I'm showering. Once I'm done showering and am dried off, I can no longer smell that great scent. Philosophy has made all of the three-in-one products "shower experiences" and they purposely made the scent not last on the skin so that it doesn't interfere with whatever scent you are wearing for the day. The bubbles and lather also rinse away cleanly and don't leave a residue on my skin.

Philosophy The Muffin Man cleans my skin well but does is not drying. It's not a particularly moisturizing product, though, and I do wish that it were more moisturizing. I'm just glad it doesn't dry out my skin.

I never take bubble baths, so I can't speak to how this product performs as a bubble bath. I did use it once as a shampoo because I always feel compelled to do so if I am reviewing a product. Just like all of the other Philosophy three-in-one products, this one made my hair dry and frizzy and made my scalp itch. I haven't liked any of these products as a shampoo. In my opinion, they should drop the "three-in-one" thing and just make them shower gels.

Overall, Philosophy The Muffin Man is a great product and is one that I will consider repurchasing at the next holiday season. If you like lemon scents, give this one a try when it comes out again around the next holiday season, as it is around only at the holidays. And I still don't get the muffin reference and have no idea what muffins and lemon custard have to do with each other!

Price and Purchasing Information:

Philosophy The Muffin Man
is $16 and can be purchased at Ulta brick and mortar stores and online at Philosophy.com during the holiday season.

Some Of My Other Philosophy Shampoo, Shower Gel and Bubble Bath Reviews:

Pink Frosted Layer Cake

Barrels of Root Beer

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 24 Fl Oz. Sealed

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 24 Fl Oz. Sealed

What is it: A multitasking 3-in-1 shower gel infused with a delicious lemon custard scent. Who is it for: Anyone who wants a rich, foaming lather; and...

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 24 Fl Oz.

VALLEY FASHION AND THRIFT New Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel Bubble Bath 24 fl oz. NIB New In Box 24 fl oz. Bottle Shampoo, Shower Gel B...

Philosophy Lemon Custard 3 In 1 Shampoo, Shower Gel, Bath Huge 24 Fl Oz

Philosophy Lemon Custard 3 In 1 Shampoo, Shower Gel, Bath Huge 24 Fl Oz

PHILOSOPHY Lemon Custard HARD TO FIND 3-in-1 shampoo, shower gel bubble bath 24fl oz NEW never used or tested This item is no longer sealed SHIPS FREE...

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 6oz

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 6oz

NO RETURNS!!New Sealed Philosophy Lemon Custard 3in1 Shampoo shower gel and bubble bath 6oz

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath 24 Fl Oz.

brand new, boxed 24 oz. philosophy lemon custard.

Philosophy Shower Gel Lemon Custard

Philosophy Shower Gel Lemon Custard

This item is new and unopened.  The size is 6 fl oz. Shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath.  3 in 1.

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shower Gel And Lotion Duo

Philosophy Lemon Custard Shower Gel And Lotion Duo

16 oz. shower gel and 240 ml. soufflé.....lemon custard gift set, unopened, with philosophy gift bag. nice gift,great holiday fragrance.