Lenovo ThinkPad X1 13.3" (320 GB, Intel Core i5 2nd Gen., 2.5 GHz, 4 GB) Notebook - Black - 129126U Reviews

Best Notebook I ever owned

May 31, 2012

Pros:Fast, light weight, powerful machine with a very bright/ clear display

Cons:Could use a few extra USB ports and battery is not user replaceable.

The Bottom Line: The X1 should serve the needs of virtually all users, expectially those that need a slim, light weight machine.  The is no internal DVD/ CD.

In short, I must say that the Lenovo X1 is the best notebook computer that I have ever owned.  The machine is very light weight (a little over 3 lbs with the standard battery), fast, great feel on the keyboard with a wide wrist rest, and multiple mouse controls.  I have owned this for about 5 months.  I short, I would recommend this to anyone who could afford its rather stiff price.  There are a few negatives, but all are minor.  I upgrade from a Lenovo X61s that I used for many years but the display gave out.

My configuration includes:
Intel i5-2520M CPU8gb memory (I upgraded this from the standard 4gb)320gb HarddriveIntel Centrino Advanced N6205 Network CardStandard Video and SoundWindows 64 Professional
The Windows Experience Indes Score is 4.7 out of a possible 7.9.  The system uses the lowest score of all items tested.  The lowest score on my machine was Graphics.  Other individual scores ranged from 5.9 to 7.2

I upgraded the memory to 8gb after I bought the computer.  Lemovo wanted $450 for the upgrade.  You can purchase the upgrade from Critical Memory or other for under $150.  The machine ran fine with the standard 4gb, but I just like to go the max on memory because I tend to keep many programs open .

THE PROS:
1.  The machine is thin, light weight, and sleek looking.  Looks like they tried to copy the Mac in it’s design.

2.  Keyboard has a great feel, and is backlit to help you see the keys in the dark.  The backlighting could be better since it does not actually light the keys, but rather lights between the black keys, but it helps a little in very dark places.

3.  Super bright/clear display.

4.   Good positioning of the controls i.e. On/Off, speaker volume/ mute, etc.

5.  Has all current external ports including an HDMI port.

Battery life is good.  Standard battery lasts about 3 hours depending on how bright you make your display and the amount of hard drive usage.  There is an extended battery which does increase the thickness and weight of the machine.

6.  My machine came with a standard 3 year Lenovo warranty.  Be sure to check for this.  Some vendors only include a one year warranty.

THE CONS:
1.  Insufficient number of USB ports.  There are two, one on the left side and a combo USB 3.0 /2.0 in the rear.  I use a wireless mouse, so this uses one port and I am left with one.  I bought a compact USB expander to solve the problem.  With just one more port, this would not be necessary.

2.  No build in DVD/ CD.  This was done to keep the size and weight down.  It is not something I use often so it is OK with me, but other would find it a problem.  Any USB DVD drive will work, or you can get an overpriced one from Lenovo.

3.  There is unusual configuration selection from Lenovo.  If you order from the Lenovo website. You can only get the solid state drives with about 160gb max capacity.  You can get a 320gb hard drives if you purchase it from Amazon or an array of other third party vendors.  I needed the larger drive, so I but it from PC Rush at a better price than Lenovo offered.

4.  When the battery needs replacement, you will need to send it to Lenovo,.  The standard battery is built in and not user replaceable.

It you decide to upgrade your memory, you will need to remove the keyboard to access the single memory chip.  Most laptops have a memory slot accessible from the bottom of the machine.  This make is much harder to upgrade for the average user.  Lenovo may have done this to force buyers to purchase their highly overpriced $450 memory upgrade.  This memory is available for under $150 at Crucial Memory.

5.  I have had no major problems with the machine in the 5 months I have owned it.  I did need to purchase a registry cleaning/ fixing program.  The machine started to freeze  after a few months but the registry program fixed whatever the problem was.

In all, this is a solid laptop that would meet the needs of most people, especially if you need a light weight machine.

Amount Paid (US$): 1,300
Operating System: Windows
Processor speed: 201-300
Screen Size: 13 inches
RAM: More than 256
Hard Drive (GB): Over 50

Lenovo ThinkPad T510 Intel Core i5-540M X2 2.66GHz 4GB 160GB DVD-RW 15.6'' Win7 (Black)

Lenovo ThinkPad T510 4384 - Core i5 560M / 2.66 GHz - Windows 7 Pro - 4 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - 15.6 1366 x 768 ( HD ) - Intel HD Graphics

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Ultrabook- Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Ultrabook- Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000 Part# 3448C6U Color Black Operating System Windows 8 Pro CPU Type Intel Core i7-3667U 2.0GHz Screen 14 Memory Siz...
Newegg.com

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch Ultrabook - Intel - Core i7 i7-3667U 2GHz - Black

BRILLIANT BUSINESS LAPTOPS. Rock-solid reliability. Blazing-fast performance. Clever manageability tools. We pack a lot of intelligent features into e...
Office Depot

Buy at Newegg.com Refurbished LENOVO THINKPAD T420 INTEL XEON CORE i5-2520M 2.50GHz 4GB RAM 250GB HDD WINDOWS 7 PRO INSTALLED 64BIT
Newegg.com

Lenovo - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 14 QHD 2560x1440 Touchscreen Ultrabook, Intel Core i7-4600U,

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 14 QHD 2560x1440 Touchscreen Ultrabook, Intel Core i7-4600U, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro The Lenovo X1 Carbon 20A700...
Adorama

Lenovo 20C50052US TopSeller ThinkPad E440 20C5 Intel Core i3-4000M Dual-Core 2.40GHz Laptop - 4GB RAM  500GB HDD  14 HD LED  DVD Burner  Gigabit Ethernet  Intel

Lenovo 20C50052US TopSeller ThinkPad E440 20C5 Intel Core i3-4000M Dual-Core 2.40GHz Laptop - 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 1...

Intel Core i3-4000M Dual-Core 2.4GHz 4GB DDR3L SDRAM 500GB 7200rpm SATA 14 HD LED DVD Burner Intel HD Graphics 4600 Webcam Gigabit Ethernet In...
MacMall
Lenovo ThinkPad 15 Notebook - 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Core i7

Lenovo ThinkPad 15 Notebook - 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Core i7

Think smart. A bright display, incredible processor, and portable design? The Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 is a no-brainer.
QVC