Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk (DVD, 2008) Reviews

Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk (DVD, 2008)

Leslie Sansone's 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk makes exercise easy and painless.

Apr 22, 2012

Pros:Easy to follow, 5 workouts to on one DVD, faster paced than usual

Cons:Music is bland, Leslie chatters a LOT, too simple for advanced exercisers

The Bottom Line: Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk features five 1 mile walk workouts on one DVD. Easy to do, fast paced but not frenzied, no equipment needed.

I like Leslie Sansone as a "walk partner" and have many of her walk DVDs. One that I think is quite good is Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk. While this one doesn't utilize any walk boosters or special toning exercises, there are five 1 mile walk workouts on the DVD that can mixed or done back to back and each one is fairly unique.

About the DVD

Don't say you can't because you can and Leslie Sansone is prepared to show you how! Walk like a runner with this exhilarating multi-muscle cardio and fat-blasting walk, all in the comfort of your own home. Customize the routine, select your distance and feel great! 2006/color/97 min/NR/fullscreen.

Manufacture's Info

The Workouts

Those who know Leslie Sansone's style know that she is a down to earth, super friendly coach who likes to chit chat as she leads walks and also is very motivational. I sometimes get the impression that her DVDs are aimed at beginners or those who are quite out of shape but I like the simplicity of walk workouts as well as the ability to boost them by wearing ankle and/or wrist weights or using a stretch cord for arm work as I follow along.

Although this workout series was released in 2006, it's not dated. The people in the workouts are weing sweats or very casual attire. No one has Spandex or anything dated or too "gym-like" on. The workouts take place in a simple studio on a hard wood floor. The music for all of the workouts is generic and used mostly for rhythm to tell you how fast to step. I now don't even listen to the sound, I listen to my own music and follow along. I do suggest that you listen to Leslie a few times though because she does throw out tips, motivational words, and is generally entertaining.

The DVD consists of five 12 to 13 minute 1 mile workouts, which is faster than Leslie's usual 15 minute miles. The first and last feature just Leslie while the three in the middle feature other walkers of different ages and sizes. In one of the workouts, there is a man which, in 2006, was fairly unusual. Now, many of Leslie's workouts feature both men and women.

You can program the DVD for as many miles as you want to do or just do one and keep ongoing until you want to stop. You can also do them out of order.

Based on the simple premise of stepping, knee lifts, side steps, and a few other very simple moves that take you through all of her walk workouts, you will walk along with Leslie and the others (when there are others) at three paces per mile. None of them are very fast but you may break a sweat if you do more than one of the workouts back to back.

In these walks, there is about five minutes of general walking with another five of boosted walking, meaning you speed up the pace but by no means are you running or even really jogging. The last couple of minutes of each mile there is a burst in which you really pick up the pace and get your heart rate up. There is a cool down on this DVD which is about five minutes long but, oddly, no warm up. Granted, you really don't need a long warm up because you start out walking quite slowly and build up but I do suggest that you stretch out a little and warm up your muscles before popping in the DVD.

My Thoughts about Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk

This DVD is a good one for those short on time or who want a little variety in their walking workouts. It's also better than some because the pace is faster and you can zip through a mile in just 12 or 13 minutes.

Leslie is a seasoned pro at motivating people to walk for their health and she talks to us as though she were right there in our living rooms and not on a TV screen. She's incredibly personable but tends to chat a little too much at times. The first several times that I did the DVD, I didn't mind but then I got bored with all the chatter and switched to listening to my music and following along. Whatever works!

There are no high impact moves in any of the walks and just about anyone who can walk can do them. You may want to boost your upper body work by wearing light wrist weights like Banglz or even walking with small dumbbells. If nothing else, keep your arms moving to boost calorie burn and to work them a bit as you walk.

The music, while generic, does help you to keep pace with what is being done and it's not awful. It's just sort of bland. But Leslie talks so much anyway that the music is secondary.

I enjoy doing a few of these 1 mile walks when I am not up to exercising hard or when I want to burn some calories yet take it easy. When my neck was at its worse this past November when I pinched a nerve (and herniated a disc), I was still able to do the 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk. I just didn't flail my arms around much. This DVD helped to keep me moving when most other exercise DVDs caused intense pain in neck, arm, and shoulder.

While this DVD shouldn't be the ONLY one you use to get into or stay in shape, it's a good beginning one and also a good one just to pop in and go without any fancy equipment or learning fancy step combinations. It's very simple to follow from the first viewing.

Buying Info

You can buy Leslie Sansone - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk online on a number of websites that sell workout DVDs as well as on Leslie Sansone's own website. It is also available at some mass-market stores offline. The price is about $10.00 now and well worth it. There is nothing on this six year old DVD that doesn't mesh with current walk DVDs and it's just as effective as the newer ones.

My Final Thoughts

If you're a beginning exerciser or someone who enjoys walking for fitness but can't always get outside to do it, Leslie's 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk is a great choice for in home walking. The pace is a bit faster than many other Leslie Sansone DVDs but easy to tackle and you can just put the DVD in and start walking. Do one, two, or all five of the workouts. You won't tones and sculpt but you will burn calories and make your heart muscle work which is the most important thing. I give this DVD 4 stars.

Walk, don't run, to a slimmer body with this workout system from Leslie Sansone. These easy-to-do routines allow viewers to reap the health benefits o...