Linksys BEFSX41 100 Mbps 10/100 Wireless Router (BEFSX41-EU) Reviews

Linksys BEFSX41 100 Mbps 10/100 Wireless Router (BEFSX41-EU)

A great Cable/DSL Firewall/Router

Sep 17, 2005 (Updated May 18, 2006)
Rated Show

Pros:Has VPN, fairly easy to set up.

Cons:Failed after only three years, not repairable. Doesn't anyone make anything that lasts anymore?

I bought a pair of these to be able to set up a VPN between my home office and a client over an hours drive away.

Set up for just one end was very easy. Setting up the VPN took a bit more effort, but I was able to do it without assistance at the far end. The thing to remember is to put each end on a different subnet, I.E. 192.168.1.0 is set up at my client's office and 192.168.2.0 is the subnet at my home office.

One has to remember to change the default setup password to a good unique password and make sure that the setup can't be accessed from the WAN side. If you need to be able to make changes in the other end of the VPN, it's more secure to access a computer at the far end via PC Anywhere, then go to the router from the inside.

The only minor quibble I have with the unit is that it seems to take a long time to "boot", but what do you expect for an $80 item?

UPDATE: Unit failed after 3 years. Had to buy a replacement.

Linksys BEFSX41-EU EtherFast BEFSX41 Broadband Router General InformationManufacturer: LinksysManufacturer Part Number: BEFSX41Brand Name: LinksysProd...