Maui Prince Hotel Makena Resort

Remote Getaway or Hideaway?

Jun 21, 2001

Pros:Ample Space, Remote and Quiet Location, Beautiful Garden and Fond

Cons:Food too expensive, Bars close by 10:00 PM, Too dark at night

The Bottom Line: Great Room, Great View. Too quite, fighting against boredom is not easy.

I stayed in Maui Prince Hotel this month. The hotel is located in a city called Makena, South West of Maui. The whole region is called Kihei/Wailea/Makena region where Kihei has main attraction (shops and restaurant.) To get to Kiehi, you need a car, there is no free or complimentary shuttle, although you might need a car to go around Maui anyway. It takes about half an hour to go to Kihei from the airport. You have to pass a lot of hotel chains to go to Maui Prince Hotel. There are no other builds or buisness establishment around a mile.

The room itself is great- spacious, quite, separate shower and a bathtub, coffee maker, refrigerator and hair dryer. IT has a great balcony. However, the funiture seems to be outdated.

THe hotel has several restaurants - including breakfast joint, one Aerican restaurant, one traditional japanese restaurant. The breakfast bar is okay but over priced- 21$ for the buffet. I had a monday night traditional Japanese buffet on a restaurant Hakena. This is one of the best Japanese buffet place I have ever been to.

The hotel has only one pool and a beach adjoint with the hotel property. Unless it is a getaway for a couple, you might die with boredom.

Everything is so quite after 8:00. I went for a conference and liked it for a day because I was dead tired. However on the second day, I have been flicking remote for two hours to fight with the ultimate tranquility.

I would recommend to the couple who would like to spends a romantic hideway. However, I would not recommend this hotel otherwise.