The Westin Copley Place

The Upscale Choice for Boston: Westin Copley Place Hotel

Jan 19, 2008 (Updated Jan 19, 2008)

Pros:Upscale & modern decor, good service, good food, nice gym, convenient location

Cons:None except maybe the expense

The Bottom Line: A wonderful upscale hotel for adults in the center of the action in Boston.

After ascending the escalator to the second floor lobby area, the signature white tea scent reminiscent of all Westin’s nowadays greeted me. The front desk was adequately staffed for the crush of guests present, and my reservation was in order. My king bed room on a high floor was just as I had reserved (I hate it when I’m traveling for business and the hotel sticks me in a 2 queen bed room; there’s just not enough space that way).

Room
Pleasant, simple, upscale contemporary furnishings and décor are what I found in my room. There was a king-sized Westin Heavenly Bed (with foam pillows, as I had pre-requested), two night stands, a TV armoire, a large work desk, wheeled desk chair, and cushy reading chair with floor lamp and side table. Speaking of the work desk, high speed internet access is offered for a fee; I didn’t bite. The curtains opened up to a view of the city and the Charles River. While Boston’s skyline is dark, dreary and not impressive from high levels, this was probably one of the better views in the city.

The bathroom had all the Westin Heavenly Bath amenities such as a full array of toiletries, a curved shower rod, and a Speakman shower head. Plenty of fluffy white towels were offered. A marble vanity housed a single sink, and there was a large half wall sized mirror above. The bathroom was a bit cramped and I could tell that thought it was clean and in good repair, it definitely was not the newest construction.

Amenities
Conference Facilities
I was at the hotel for a work-related conference, and with the crush of onsite guest attendees, the elevator service down to the conference level was slow. That is to be expected of any hotel, though, with such a high volume of attendees. The two conference levels had plenty of large and medium rooms reached by elevator and escalator.

Gym
I exercised in the fitness center twice during my 3 day/2 night stay. The fitness center is quite large for a hotel. There are many treadmills, elliptical trainers, bikes, a nice sized machine weight area, free weights, rubber mats, fitness balls, a Jacuzzi, and a decently sized heated indoor pool. In addition, there are gender specific locker rooms, along with clean towels, fresh water, and free apples offered. Flat screen TVs (with no option for private headphone attachment, however) were attached to each piece of cardio equipment. This is a very nice WestinWORKOUT® Powered by Reebok Gym.

Lobby & Gift shop
The lobby had a spacious sitting area, broken into several groupings, along with a fireplace. Copley Place is an upscale shopping center, and it is on the same level as the Westin lobby. Inside the Westin lobby itself is a small gift shop. I needed to buy some contact lens solution, but they were out. So they gave me walking directions to a nearby CVS pharmacy. Boston is a very walkable city. This hotel is right in the middle of the action. You can walk to many nearby attractions, businesses, and necessity shops.

Other shops in the Copley Place attached to the hotel include Erwin Pearl Fine Jewelry, a florist, clothing shops, and Osushi - a sushi restaurant. The chichi Copley Place Mall, to which the hotel is connected, has such retailers as Ralph Lauren, Christian Dior, Gucci, Porsche Design, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, David Yurman, Louis Vuitton, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Burberry. The newly remodeled Grettacole Spa is now open, but it was under renovations when I was there. Downstairs there is Turner Fisheries Restaurant and Bar, The Palm Restaurant, Bar 10, Starbucks, The Huntington, and the Fizz Lounge. I had conference food (which was ok but nothing special), Starbucks, room service (great grilled fish dish), and group dinner at Osushi.

Service
I didn’t need any special service while I was there, but al l the staff I encountered were polite and did their jobs. The bellmen helped me with my luggage and hailing cabs. The cleaners did a fine job. The room service was delivered timely and the food was excellent. My zero balance folio was accurate when placed under my door on the morning of my departure. What more can I say? The service was good, as one would expect from a Westin.

Overall Thoughts
The Westin Copley Place is a very nice hotel right in the middle of the Boston action. It is a great business hotel, and would be a good leisure hotel for adults (though they do offer the Westin Kids Club, the overall ambience of the hotel is sophisticated). I would not hesitate to stay here again.