Harrah's - Casino

Harrah's Total Rewards: Great Hotel & Food Comps

Nov 1, 2004 (Updated Nov 2, 2004)

Pros:Great for "low" rollers!

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: You can earn free room comps for minimal casino play. You have nothing to lose by joining!

About 8 weeks ago, I went up to Reno with my husband and another couple and signed up for Harrah's Total Rewards Club Card; we were staying at a nearby hotel, but our friends wanted to gamble at Harrahs, so we joined them. I spent all evening playing on penny slot machines, starting with a $100. After all was said and done, I left with $75. I would have been happier to come home a winner, but I was okay with not losing any more. A month later, I began receiving coupons and offers for free lobster dinners, free rooms and other promotions.

So, I made reservations a couple of weeks ago and we went back up to Reno this past weekend. Our hotel accommodations were free, as was our lobster seafood buffet dinner. Again, I set aside $100, but this time, came back a winner, returning home with just over $100, after paying for food, my gambling and a pair of show tickets. We also went skiing at Boreal, but my husband paid for our lift tickets. Suffice it to say, the Total Rewards Club card paid off for us. Reno is NOT my favorite vacation destination, however, the comped room and other freebies sure made our ski weekend very reasonable. In case you are wondering, Boreal was lots of fun, even if all the lifts weren't running yet, being it's so early in the season!

I don't know if this is typical, but since our initial visit, I have been averaging one post card or coupon from Harrahs every week with free room offers and coupons for cash and meal credits. I already booked a room for Harrahs Lake Tahoe just before Christmas - yes, I received a comped room and a free buffet there as well. As I do not intend to go to either Reno or Lake Tahoe all that often, I'm sure at some point our names will be removed from Harrah's active list, and the free offers will stop coming our way. But for now, I am enjoying the freebies, and my only regret is not signing up sooner.

My point is everyone who visits Harrahs should sign up for Harrah's Total Rewards Program. I have thus far found their offers too good to pass up. I'm sure a lot has to do with your play, however, I did not spend a lot of money on gambling, so being a high roller must not be a prerequisite at least for the onset, to qualify one for freebies and comps.

Our hotel accommodations were of the three star variety; a clean, standard king size room with basic amenities. It was perfect for our Thursday and Friday night stay. We found the room to be clean and comfortable, though not overly impressive.

Our bed was comfortable and both the room and bathroom were spotless. There were two night stands, a dresser and a table with two chairs in the room. The bathroom had a tub/shower combination and plenty of clean towels; toiletries included low end soap and lotion. Harrahs continues to be among the better hotels on the strip in Reno; I felt safe here and appreciated the choice in restaurants and the fact they had shows on site.

We ate at the Garden Buffet a couple of times; even had their lobster (which was very good). At $17pp for their Weekend Seafood Buffet, I found the all you can eat crab legs very tastey. Hint: go on Thursday when it's $11!

The casino, compared to the Circus Circus, Silver Legacy and the El Dorado up the street is not as nice nor didn't seem as large. However, I found it a safe place to gamble late at night (note lots of security), and Harrah's variety of slot machines was every bit as good as the others. After a day on the slopes, I found Harrahs to be warm and inviting, and it probably didn't hurt I came home a winner!

Suffice it to say, if you're planning a trip to Reno, I recommend you shop around for a good deal on a hotel room - they can be pricey on weekends. But once you are up there, make sure you sign-up for the slot club's at the casinos you visit, including Harrahs. Then sit back and wait for your comps!