Logitech C525 HD Web Cam Reviews

Free Shipping BLINQ
Free Shipping Best Buy

Logitech C525 Webcam is Affordable and Good Enough

Apr 20, 2012

Pros:Lightweight, small, flexible, good microphone, inexpensive, decent picture for price.

Cons:Software hiccups, I could not turn picture, picture quality could be better.

The Bottom Line: The Logitech C525 Webcam is a basic model and it will not give you high quality pictures and video, but it is practical, affordable and more than enough for Skype.

The Logitech C525 Webcam is a stand alone portable webcam that is compatible with Windows (Windows XP SP2/SP3, Windows Vista, and Windows 7). It comes embedded in a foldable contraption that you can “clip” on a monitor or similar. Well there is no spring action so it is not really a “clip” but it holds the monitor edge like a clip. In any case we sort of clip it onto the upper edge of the monitor for our desktop (Windows 7 Home Premium). You can also let it stand on the desk. We frequently use the Logitech C525 Webcam with Skype but we’ve also taken photos and videos.

Overview of the Logitech C525 Webcam

The Logitech C525 Webcam is pretty small (8.2 x 3 x 6 inches) and lightweight. It features a camera with a plastic lens and a built in microphone featuring noise cancelling. It is very flexible and you swivel, fold and turn it 360 degrees. When you fold it the camera is on the inside and protected.

It comes with software which includes, face recognition software, a user interface for settings, free but basic video editing software, and Logitech Vid HD, which video calling software similar to Skype. You can use the software to easily upload video to Facebook and YouTube. I should point out that the webcam works and integrates with Skype, Yahoo Messenger, and Microsoft Live Messenger as well.

The Webcam features 720p widescreen HD photo and video recording (1280 X 720 / 8 Mega Pixels). The Logitech C525 Webcam also has autofocus, and auto light correction for dim or otherwise difficult light. It is rated to have an upload speed of 1MB/s. However, since our internet upload speed typically is much less than that it is irrelevant to us.

The Webcam also comes with a 5-foot USB cable, which might be a little short when you use it with a desktop. However, it worked for us. The Logitech C525 Webcam comes with a two year limited warranty.

Experience and Opinion on Using the Logitech C525 Webcam

Well, this webcam is small and it features a plastic lens, not a high-precision Carl Zeiss glass lens, like some more expensive Logitech webcams. You cannot expect great photos and great looking video from this webcam and you won’t get that. The picture is in HD resolution wise but it is still somewhat grainy and I would not use this webcam to take nice photos with. For that we have cameras. However, this webcam costs about fifty bucks and the picture is good enough for Skype. Compared to other webcams it is pretty decent. The microphone is pretty good and we have not had any issues with the people not being able to hear us.

The software was somewhat annoying. I had some hiccups during installation but no show stoppers. The most annoying hiccup was that after setting up the Logitech Vid HD and getting an on-line account for that, I was unable to use the webcam with Skype. It kept saying that the Webcam was already used by another application despite the fact that I was not using Logitech Vid HD. I used the task manager to kill an executable and then I could use it with Skype after closing and restarting Skype.

Another annoying aspect of this Webcam is that there is no way to turn the picture using the settings, at least not that I see. We look better if I clip on the Webcam at the bottom edge of the monitor, but then the picture becomes upside down. It would be nice to be able to turn it 180 degrees.

In the end this is a very basic and inexpensive webcam that does its job even though I had some hiccups. By now we’ve used it extensively without problems. So despite the issues I mentioned above I feel I can recommend it and give it four stars.

With HD 720p video calling and recording, as well as one-click HD uploading to Facebook, now you can share your HD world-anywhere, anytime.
BLINQ
Easily video chat with loved ones with this Logitech 960-000715 high-definition webcam that enables video calling and recording in up to 720p resoluti...
Best Buy
Detailed item info Product Information Catch up with family and friends using the Logitech C525 personal webcam. Featuring 720p HD video recording and...
Product Details Fluid 720p HD video recording and video calling in 16:9 widescreen, and dazzling 8 MP photos Ultra-smooth Autofocus, Auto light correc...
The Logitech HD Webcam C525. For portable HD video calling and recording-with autofocus. Enjoy smooth HD 720p video calls on your favorite IM or Logit...