-49%

Free Shipping eBay Deals
Free Shipping 79stores.com
+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Logitech C615 Webcam

May 10, 2012 (Updated May 15, 2012)

Pros:Sharp images, flixible clip/base, HD, autofocus lens, for Windows & MAC

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: For less than $50, I have a great little webcam that takes great pictures and allows me to capture images to share in HD via email, facebook or YouTube.

Note:  My webcam is used for personal use and my knowledge is limited to such.

Little did I know that in 2007, when I purchased my HP Windows Vista Home Premium laptop, that it didn't come with a webcam even though it has the little eye in the center of my monitor.  I never worried about it as I never thought I'd use a webcam so I went on my merry little way enjoying my laptop and having very little work done on it (by an expert).  It's still a good laptop and until it up and bites the dust, I have no intention of buying another one.

My best friend happens to live in Scotland so we decided to keep in touch via Skype (and email).  The problem there was I could see her but she couldn't see me.  I had no problems with this but she did so I had to invest in buying a webcam.  I didn't do a lot of research.  I just headed over to amazon.com and chose the second webcam I looked at.  It happened to be the Logitech HD 1080p Webacm C615 and since the price was under $50 and I had free 2 day shipping (Prime Membership), it arrived in one day and I was up and running.

A very helpful booklet, with illustrations, comes with the webcam but only a small portion of it is in English.  The rest is wasted paper since I can't read Spanish, French or Portuguese.

Setting up my webcam:
The webcam is tri-fold and after unfolding it, the front sits on top of my monitor with the back 2 portions folding and adjusting to the width of my monitor.  The tri-pod attachment is on the back of the lower portion.  I don't use this function but can see how easily it would install to a tripod.

Installing was nothing but inserting the CD and following the directions.  Naturally, updates were part of the install but in less than 5 minutes I was connected and talking to my friend.  During initial set-up, you do have to create a Logitech Vid (Video) HD account which allows you access to video calling.  This only took a few seconds and after trying my "practice call," to test my settings, I added my friends user name and email, she was added to my contact list and we were talking.

Viewing me, she says my image is sharp and all my wrinkles, sags and bags are quite obvious.  Even my puffy eyes and skin imperfections are quite clear.  OK, I'm thinking in the back of my mind, maybe I should have invested in a cheaper model because, when needed, she's not shy about telling me when my roots need touching up.

Taking Pictures:
Your booklet explains how to take your pictures but a brief run-down is to click on Quick Capture, smile and click.  You have around 3 seconds to get your smile in place before the picture is taken and of course, you can see yourself in order to pose for the picture.  The Webcam is really easy to use but it doesn't hurt to read the booklet that's enclosed.

Taking a picture was my hardest task as I hated each one I previewed so deleted all but one.  I was trying to get a picture of me and my granddaughter so I could post it on facebook but she wasn't cooperating so I gave up and kept the first one I'd taken and haven't posted any on facebook or anywhere else.  To send a video via your email, make sure your friend has the latest flash Player installed and Javascript enabled.  I didn't have any trouble with this but it's something you may want to double check before sending your video through the mail.

The microphone:
The microphone is crisp and clear with no static to interfere with my conversations.  Even at a whisper when the baby is sleeping, I can be heard without any interference.  The bottom line is my Logitech Webcam C615 is much better than my friends webcam on her desktop monitor.  We've had many conversations and I'm rather glad my Vista didn't come with its own webcam or I'd have never bought this new one.

Personalizing your videos and pictures:
If you want to personalize your videos and pictures you can go to your Video Effects where you have avatars, face accessories (mustache, glasses, hats, etc.), and video masks to choose from.  Just follow the on screen instructions.  Without a booklet, "hands-on" is just as easy to learn all the applications.  You can fine tune your video calls but I've kept mine on the defaults setting.  You do have a HELP button should you need it.  I did read the HELP section when it came to controlling my video effects and webcam while talking via Skype to my friend.

The stuff:

What came in the box:
Webcam with 3 foot cable
3 foot extension cable
Tripod ready base
Logitech webcam software with Logitech Vid HD (for PC and Mac)
User documentation
2-years limited hardware warranty

Works with:
Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows Vista or Windows 7 or (32-bit or 64-bit) or Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.  Works with Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger and FaceTime.

Basic Requirements:
1 GHz
512 MB RAM or more
200 MB hard drive space
Internet Connection
USB 1.1 port (2.0 recommended)

For HD 720p video calling (on Logitech Vid HD) and Full HD 1080p video recording:
2.4 Intel GHz Core Duo
2 GB RAM
USB 2.0 port
1 Mbps upload speed or higher
1280 x 720 screen resolution

I've really enjoyed my Logitech Webcam for my own personal use.  The webcam does swivel 360 degrees, I have full HD 1080p for recording, a fluid HD 720p for video calling, 8 MP for photos, auto focus for extreme close-ups (to 10 cm), built in mic and it has a fold and go design.  When I'm not using my webcam, it is disconnected from my laptop.

My lens is standard plastic (not Carl Zeiss glass) and since I'm not familiar with a glass lens, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about .  There's a blue light on the webcam showing when I'm connected and about the only thing that does bother me is the cord from the cam to the USB port.  It can get in the way if I don't take time to maneuver it behind my monitor as best as I can.  If needed, there's a longer extension cord which can be used but I've never had to use mine.

As for measurements, the webcam is rather small.  It's around 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.  When I carry it with me, it fits in my purse with no problem.  I put it in a baggie to keep it safe, though.

If you need a webcam, I can highly recommend the Logitech HD Webcam C615.  The price is right and the HD wide screen is awesome.

Logitech
6505 Kaiser Drive
Fremont, CA 94555-3614
www.logitech.com

ddustyrose May 10, 2012

eBay Deals

Full 1080p HD video recording and fluid 720p HD video calling in 16:9 wide-screen Dazzling 8 MP photos Auto Focus for extreme close-ups 360-degree ...
79stores.com
The Logitech Hd Webcam C615, 960-000733 lets you chat with your friends and family around the world. It is a stylish, compact, foldable web camera whi...
This webcam features high-definition video calling and still image capture with up to 8.0MP resolution to ensure crisp, clear video and picture qualit...
Best Buy
Color: Black Features: Full 1080p HD video recording and fluid 720p HD video calling in 16:9 wide-screen Dazzling 8 MP photos Auto Focus for extreme c...
Transform your video chat and recording sessions into rich and clear HD experiences with the Logitech HD Webcam C615.
Microsoft Store
HD video calling and sharing however, whatever, wherever you like. Record in breathtaking widescreen Full HD 1080p. Video call in HD 720p.
Toys R Us
Take your video communication to the next level with the C615 HD Webcam from Logitech. The webcam lets you take high-resolution snapshots at up to 8 m...
Dell