-13%
Logitech G330 Black/Red Neckband Headsets for Multi-Platform Reviews

Logitech G330 Black/Red Neckband Headsets for Multi-Platform

Logitech G330 Headset - Functional And Affordable Headset

Dec 7, 2011

Pros:Great sound quality, comfortable, adjustable, intuitive to operate, plug and play, affordable.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: The Logitech G330 Headset is comfortable, easy to use, great sound quality, intuitive to operate and affordable.

In order to “stay connected” my office uses Microsoft Lync in conjunction with Outlook.  When I pull up a contact in Outlook, a small traffic-light icon indicates whether that person is available.  If the icon shows a “green light,” I can choose to instant message them or place a digital call through Lync.  This includes the option for video calls or video conferencing.  The devices I use for these conferences are a Logitech camera and the Logitech G330 Headset.

I haven’t decided how thrilled I am about looking at people I talk to, but I do prefer talking to someone to an endless stream of emails.  Since I have the option not to use the camera, I often just call through Microsoft Lync without enabling the camera.  It is simple and verbal communication seems to facilitate understanding much more thoroughly than the written word.  Now that I have been using the Logitech G330 Headset, I have some insight into my impression of the device.

Initially, I did not like the Logitech G330 Headset.  The headset is somewhat rigid and fits over your ears from behind.  It takes some getting used to, but is actually more comfortable than traditional headsets.  For added comfort, the rigid plastic is lined with silicone, which helps you to forget the headset is even there.  The soft foam over the ear phones provide just the right comfort without heating up over time or bothering my ears with the fit.

In terms of functionality, the Logitech G330 Headset also has a great conference call feature.  If you are required to listen in on a conference call without actively participating, it is nice to switch the microphone off so you don’t inadvertently blurt something out unrelated to the call (not that anyone would multi-task during a mandatory conference call).  There are two ways to mute the call.  An inline audio control allows you to adjust the volume of your call as well as a mute switch.  For an added layer of protection, you can also unplug the microphone jack, which is color-coded pink.  The inline control also has a clip on the back to allow you to clip it to your clothing.  I have read one complaint with this device was the weight of the audio controls.  They really don’t weigh much, and that factor is negated if you clip it to a lapel or pocket.

There are two ways to connect the Logitech G330 Headset to your computer.  Either option will work with the inline audio controls.  Near the end of the headset cable, the line splits into audio and microphone jacks.  My Dell Optiplex 990 has four USB ports on the front as well as both audio and mic input jacks, so I can use either set up without going to the back of my computer.  You can plug the individual jacks into the corresponding input locations or you can connect them to a USB adapter and use the USB port.  I prefer this set up for three reasons.  First, I don’t misplace the part in case I ever need it.  Second, according to the packaging, the USB connection has enhanced audio.  I may be reading those instructions wrong, though, because I don’t notice a distinguishable difference between the two connections.  Lastly, if I connect by USB, the sound will play in the headset.  When I unplug the USB, my sound reverts to my computer speakers.  In order to use the front sound jacks, I have to unplug my speakers from the back of my computer.  That amounts to more trouble than it’s worth.  I simply use the USB because it requires less effort.

The microphone boom on the Logitech G330 Headset is adjustable.  Depending on how close you want the microphone to your mouth and due to the one-size-fits-all nature of this device, this allows you to place the microphone in the optimal position for your personal preferences.  The microphone can also be completely moved out of the way, facing backwards, if you are just listening.  However, it is not really noticeable, so I generally leave it in place, even if I am using the headphones to listen to music.  The pickup pattern on the microphone is unidirectional.  It has a frequency response of 100 Hz to 10 kHz.  The sensitivity is rated at 44 dBV/Pa re: 0 dB = 1 Pa, 1 kHz.  The microphone also employs noise-canceling technology to cut down on ambient interference with sound quality.

I bought the Logitech G330 Headset for digital calling.  For that purpose, these headphones are more than adequate in terms of sound quality.  But I have found that I like to use these headphones to listen to music.  The sound quality of music played through these headphones is exceptional, all things considered.  My untrained ears are unable to detect any difference between the sound quality of these phones and my more expensive noise cancelling Sony headphones that I use when I fly.  The specs on the headphones include a 30 mm diameter; neodymium magnet driver, frequency response of 40 Hz to 18 kHz (-10dB), an impedance of 30 ohms nominal and sensitivity rated at 94 dB SPL Ref: 1 mW (-18.2 dBV = 1m W), 1 kHz.

The Logitech G330 Headset comes with a one-year warranty.  It can be purchased online for around thirty dollars.  The cheapest I have seen it is twenty-five dollars from Geeks.com.  The device also comes with a Velcro band attached to the cable for minimizing the length, if needed.   The device is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OSX.  At this price point, I have been impressed with the sound quality, comfort and ease of use.  The controls are intuitive to operate and the device is “plug and play.”

At twenty-five dollars, the Logitech G330 Headset is a very affordable option to turn your computer into a call-center.  I have used this device for digital calls and conference calls.  But for the most part, I use it to listen to music.  The sound quality of the music may not be what you would get from Bose, but to my ears, the sound is exceptional.  The bass sounds like bass and the sound quality is very clear.  The controls are easy to operate, the device is plug and play and the headphones are comfortable for extended wear.  What’s not to like?  Five stars at this price point.

Product Details Adjustable, behind-the-head design provides a lightweight, personalized fit - the first of its kind in gaming headsets Silicone-lined ...