Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 (97855081933)

Comparing Logitechs: the G105 to the Ultra Thin 920-000914

Mar 31, 2012 (Updated Mar 31, 2012)

Pros:Backlit, general quality, length of cord.

Cons:Font/readability, poor documentation.

The Bottom Line: OK keyboard for typing in the dark.  Recent deep sale prices make this easy to recommend.

Logitech G105 keyboard:

The Logitech G105 comes in two versions: standard with blue backlighting, and Call of Duty MW3 with green backlighting.  I own the MW3 green version and my comments will be about that.

I like the deep push-feel of the buttons of the G015/MW3.  I like the shade of green.  It matches the shade I use in windows custom colors High Contrast Black mode.

I like that the G105/MW3 has a very long USB cord.  I like that this keyboard does not clank when I hit the space bar.  I have read about other owners complaining about squeaky keys -- that all keys squeak when pressed -- but my keyboard feels and sounds great.

The final thing I like is that it does not take up much space.  It replaces any desktop keyboard fitting in place where the old one was located.

What I do not like starts with the font used on the keys.  It has a high tech style, but, backlit, it less readable than other fonts.  The font is too fine as well.

The letters on the keys are not all evenly backlit when looking at them from a normal angle.  If your head is tall directly over the keys, then it is perfect.  But at a slight angle, the tops of most letters are more bright than the bottom of the letters.  And the "M", for example, the left of the letter is brighter than the right side.  The top cross of the letter "T" is brighter on the left than the right.  It is moderate, but it is there.

The other majot issue is with the documentation.  There was no effort to make it be helpful with the basics.  It refers the owner to go to logitech/g105/support which is a web page selling the line of new Logitech speakers.

The obvious questions: How to control the backlight?  How to toggle the Gaming/Normal modes?

The new owner must explore DEEP into the Logitech web site to find the answers.  Here they are for the reader:

The G105 keyboard has two function buttons: the gaming/joystick button and the backlight brightness button.

Gaming button:

When you press the joystick button located directly to the left of the Call of Duty logo at the top of the keyboard, it will light up letting you know the keyboard is in Game Mode, and will disable the Windows key. Press the joystick button again to take the keyboard out of "Game Mode" and re-enable the Windows key. The light will go dark, indicating the keyboard is now in normal mode.

Backlight button:

Each time you press the backlight button located directly to the right of the Call of Duty logo at the top of the keyboard, the keyboard rotates between three preset brightness levels: off, dim and bright.

Logitech Ultra Thin 920-000914 keyboard:

The Ultra Thin 920-000914 is easy to relate to anyone who has never used it, but has used a modern laptop.  The Ultra Thin 920-000914 has the feel and sound of a good solid laptop keyboard.  The press is not deep at all -- whick I think is intentional.

If you are a laptop fanatic and hate thick deep-press desktop keyboards, then the Ultra Thin 920-000914 is for you.

In my opinion, it is not a matter of which is better, but it is which is a better match for the user.

Both keyboards have been at the same sale price.  I can recommend either for general use.  However, the G105 has special color A, S, D, and W keys and other gamer features making it better for gaming.

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard The Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 is your essential tool for serious gaming. LED backlighting. Programmable G-keys for s...

Logitech Gaming G105 - Keyboard - USB - English
MacMall

Logitech Gaming G105 - Keyboard - USB - English
PCM

Brand New Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 - Cable - USB 2.0 - Computer - Programmable, Macro Hot Key(s)

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105

Play games online more efficiently with this Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard. This keyboard features night vision green LED back lighting to assist you ...

Brand New Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105

Brand New Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105

Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse Call Of Duty: Mw3 Edition

Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse Call Of Duty: Mw3 Edition

Logitech G9X Gaming Mouse Call of Duty: MW3 Edition Product Description Features Laser Mouse G9X Call of Duty: MW3 Edition Noteworthy Features Precisi...

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard with Backlighting

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard with Backlighting

LED backlighting. Programmable G-keys for single actions and macros. Anti-ghosting capabilities. The Logitech Gaming Keyboard G105 is your essential t...

G105 Gaming Keyboard