-33%
Logitech K360 920-004088 Wireless Keyboard Reviews

Logitech K360 920-004088 Wireless Keyboard

Free Shipping Best Buy

excellent compact wireless keyboard with full-size keys

Feb 6, 2013

Pros:Full-size keys and key spacing, compact size overall, works with unifying receiver

Cons:Flat keyboard may not be for everyone, but I like it.

The Bottom Line: If you want a great wireless keyboard that feels like a good laptop keyboard, this is it.

In the summer of 2010, I purchased a large laptop with a 15 1/2-inch screen. At least half the time using the laptop, I have a mouse plugged into it, because while the built-in touchpad works fine, a mouse is more to my liking. The keyboard on the laptop is decent, and the laptop is large enough that the built-in keyboard includes a number pad, so for a long time I just used the built-in keyboard and only rarely wished for any other keyboard.

Lately, I have been putting the laptop on a lap desk, and leaning over a file box to type, and finally around Thanksgiving, 2012, I decided that I wanted a wireless keyboard to hold in my lap while I type. After looking at various keyboards in nearby stores over a few visits, I decided on the Logitech K360 keyboard. I wanted a Logitech keyboard because I already had a Logitech M315 mouse that is capable of connecting to a Logitech unifying receiver. I was initially skeptical about that, because most of the time I use Ubuntu Linux on my laptop, and the Logitech software is Windows-based and therefore won't run under Linux. But I had a suspicion that once it was set up to work with the mouse as well as the keyboard, it would also work in Linux, and my suspicion turned out to be correct.

The Logitech unifying receiver that comes with the K360 keyboard is “nano” sized, and once inserted in a USB port, it sticks out about 3/8 of an inch, and is fairly unobtrusive. My initial experience with the new keyboard was to just add the receiver in an additional USB port while I left the mouse receiver in its USB port, and used the two for a little while to make sure I was happy enough to not immediately take the keyboard back for a refund. The keyboard is perfectly flat on top, and each separate keycap is a flat square. The spacing between centers of the letter keys is pretty standard, 3/4 inch. The keyboard size and spacing is nearly identical to that of the keyboard built in to my laptop. The arrow keys are smaller, and placed below the left shift key, and the fn keys are in a small row above the number keys. Insert, Delete, Home, End, PgUp and PgDn continue the fn key row to the right, above the backspace key and the number pad. Pause/Break is the End key used together with the yellow FN key, and PrintScr is the Home key used together with the yellow FN key. The yellow FN key is located between the right Alt and Ctrl keys, where Windows keyboards usually have a menu key, menu key is yellow FN plus the PgUp, and Scroll Lock is yellow FN plus PgDn. In addition, there are three small keys near the top left of the keyboard for rewind, pause/play, and fast forward, and three small keys near the top right for mute, volume down, and volume up. There is an on-off slide switch above the number pad. This keyboard only has one LED, for a caps lock indicator between the on/off switch and the volume buttons. If you need an indicator for NumLock and Scroll Lock, you will have to get an on-screen display for those, but they are easy enough to find.

The keyboard size is similar, front-to-back, to standard keyboards, a little over 6 inches. The width is quite a bit smaller because of the unusual locations of the arrow keys, home, end, insert, delete, pgup and pgdn.. The overall width of the keyboard is under 15 inches. The height of the front edge of the keyboard is about 5/8 inch, and the back edge about 7/8 inch with the legs folded, and about 1 3/8 inch with the legs open. There are three small rubber feet under the front edge of the keyboard, and one rubber foot at each back corner for when the legs are folded, and the legs have rubber where they touch the desk when they are open.The two AA batteries go in individual slots behind a single battery door on the bottom of the keyboard. I have found with some wireless keyboards, if the battery cover comes off there is nothing to support the center where the two batteries meet, and they just fall out. With each in its own spring-loaded space, this is not a problem. Also under the battery door is a storage slot for the nano receiver so you can easily take the keyboard with you to use on another computer.

I really like the fact that the size, layout, and flat keys of this keyboard are very much like the keyboard built into my laptop. The key feedback is consistent and quiet. I can type better than 60 words per minute. I have used wireless keyboards that could not transmit fast enough to keep up. Neither the shape of the keys nor the wireless communication of this keyboard forces me to slow down. The F and J keys have tactile bars molded in for locating the home row without having to stop and look.. I use the number pad a fair amount, so I also make use of the tactile bar molded into the 5 key there. I have spent enough time using the flat laptop keyboard that the flat top of this keyboard is quite comfortable. If you are used to touch-typing on cupped keycaps and stepped key rows, this flat keyboard will take some getting used to, and may not be for you.

After using the Logitech M315 mouse and Logitech K360 keyboard each with their own receiver for a few minutes, I decided it was time to try programming them to work together on the unifying receiver. I normally use Ubuntu Linux on the laptop, but it came with Windows 7 and I can still run Windows 7 when the need arises. For the Logitech software to run, I had to use Windows 7. The instruction booklet that came with the keyboard provides directions for downloading and installing the Logitech software, which was very easy. Using the software is also very easy. All I had to do was unplug the receiver that came with the mouse, and leave the unifying receiver that came with the keyboard plugged in. The software and the receiver found the mouse almost immediately, and after selecting to use it along with the keyboard, I now have a single nano receiver for both. The unifying receiver can be used with up to six compatible Logitech devices at the same time, so for instance, I could add a trackball and a larger keyboard if I desired. Once programmed to operate on the unifying receiver, the mouse can no longer be used with its original receiver, which is not a unifying receiver. That receiver is in its storage slot in the mouse, and I don't know if I can make it work with the mouse again at some future time or not. My happiest moment in the whole process was when I shut down Windows 7, restarted Ubuntu Linux, and the keyboard and mouse both worked with the unifying receiver without hesitation.

I have only had one set of batteries in the keyboard so far, and that only for about 6 weeks. I have seen wireless keyboards whose batteries would not last longer than that, but there is no sign so far of weakening.

This Logitech K360 920-004088 keyboard features 2.4GHz wireless technology that provides reliable connectivity. Multimedia and Internet keys allow qui...
Best Buy
The wireless keyboard that s beautifully convenient and conveniently compact. PC Compatibility: PC. Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Win...
The Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard is beautifully convenient and conveniently compact. Designed as a laptop companion, this compact glossy black keyb...
1-20 of 38 best deals 1 2   Next >> Why are these stores listed?