Lord of War (DVD, 2006, 2-Disc Set, Special Edition) Reviews

Lord of War (DVD, 2006, 2-Disc Set, Special Edition)

Lord of War - A Necessary Evil (+)

Jan 21, 2006

Pros:Solid cast, good acting and a story based on actual events.

Cons:Shallow character development.

The Bottom Line: I think most people would like seeing this film at least once. The story is a real eye opener.

Yuri Orlov, Back then, I didn't sell to Osama Bin Laden. Not because of moral reasons, but because he was always bouncing checks.

Directed by Andrew Niccol
Nicolas Cage as Yuri Orlov
Ethan Hawke as Agent Valentine
Bridget Moynahan as Ava Fontaine
Jared Leto as Vitaly Orlov

The Lord of War 2005

Story / Plot

The true story of the brutal and very lucrative world of gun running. Yuri Orlov is a Ukrainian immigrant to the United States. His family struggles to get by but seems to be doing OK by most standards. Yuri wanted more though. He yearned to do something more with his life and he found it the day he sold his first Israeli made UZU’s. He made some fast, easy money and he wanted more, he was hooked! His family had just enough connections to get him started in the business. By the time the Soviet Union crumbled, Yuri was a serious player in the gun running world. The money to be made in the divided former Soviet Union states was insane. The only problem Yuri has is an ATF agent named Valentine. Not to mention keeping his entire life hidden from his wife.

Conclusion

Lord of War is a very interesting film. The movie is based on the lives and ordeals five separate gun runners. These are real world gun runners. They combined these five gun runners lives and made the fictional life of Yuri Orlov for this film. Even the military equipment and AK-47’s used in the movie were actual weapons that were being sold by a real life gun runner. No studios in the United States would back this movie. Means to make this movie were secured overseas. I know there has been and always will be gun runners who make their living from war, death and destruction. The democratic governments that are involved is what I find interesting; The United States, United Kingdom, Russia, China and France. These gun runners are a so called necessary evil. These governments use these gun runners as they can and if something goes wrong or they need to, they can have these guys killed or locked away for life. They are just puppets and the smart ones know it. I always had some vague idea of how that hidden world worked but nothing clear. Lord of War shows us some idea of how these deals , the governments, war lords and these people work.

I found the story to be very interesting and solid. I didn’t notice any holes or mistakes in it. The film also has a good pace to it. The character development is pretty good as well. We get to know Yuri, his brother Vitaly, his parents and his wife Ava. They could have developed the ATF agent Valentine (Ethan Hawke) a bit more, but the story works as it is. The acting and cast in the film are good. I enjoy Nicolas Cage in most of his films, his acting in this film is as good as always. Ethan Hawke has a small part but plays it well. I also like the acting of Bridget Moynahan in this film. She’s a fine actress and a gorgeous woman. The Camera work and cinematography are also decent in this film. All of the war torn countries are shot in war torn countries, so they are very real. The sound track to this film is very good, there’s lots of 70’s and 80’s hit tunes during the movie. On that note there’s also some cocaine and sex in the film but that’s the life of a gun runner. I would like to believe that the world is not half as corrupt as it actually is. Films like this based on actual events are scary. I give Lord of War 3 of 5 stars. If you enjoy Nick Cage or military films, you’ll enjoy this film. It’s worth seeing once in any case.

Thanks for the read,