Lost - The Complete Second Season (DVD, 2009, 6-Disc Set, Canadian) Reviews

Lost - The Complete Second Season (DVD, 2009, 6-Disc Set, Canadian)

Lost: Season Two - Mysteries, Secrets, Lies, & Relationships

Aug 7, 2012

Pros:superb acting by ensemble cast, good mysteries resolved & created, interesting new characters

Cons:needs to be watched in order

The Bottom Line: A fantastic and complex series that managed to build on a great first season quite well.  DVD release contains enough extras to make it work buying.

I missed out on most of Lost the first time around, thanks to working third shift.  I’d see bits here and there, but like the title, unless you watched it every week you’d quickly end up lost.  Watching it on DVD for the first time allowed me to grab many nuances and details about different characters and storylines that I missed the first time around.  If you haven’t given this series a shot watching it straight through in order, I highly recommend it.

The series premise is a plane crashes near and island.  Well, maybe it was an accident and maybe it wasn’t.  And maybe it’s an island and maybe it’s something much more.  The series started out seeming like it was going to be a sort of Gilligan’s Island for the modern age, but with so many twists and turns and mysteries to be discovered not just about events but about the people caught up in them, the series turned into much more.

The second season begins where the previous season ended, with the discovery of the hatch and the attempt by Locke (portrayed by Terry O’Quinn) and Jack (portrayed by Matthew Fox) to get into it.

But that’s just the start of a season that will reveal some secrets, answer some questions, and at the same time generate many, many more.  New characters are introduced.  Wait a minute – they are on a seemingly deserted island, how can you have new characters?  Well, in the first season we were introduced to the concept of “the others” and this is built on.  It's not just "the others" who attacked the raft but Sawyer, Jin, and Michael (portrayed by Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim, and Harold Perrineau) stumble onto survivors from the tail section of the plane.  These new characters are developed quite well, although this was one case where I thought it was better watching the series the first time through.  It made it easier to get invested in characters as they were introduced without knowing what would happen to them in the long run.

If there is one theme that seems to thread its way through this season, it’s familial relationships, particularly fathers.  Characters who we’ve known from the first season reflect on their past relationships and how they were faulty, some in quite dysfunctional ways.  We get more of their background and depth to the broken relationships between John Locke and his father as well as Jack and his father.  It's interesting to see the different ways these two men handle these dysfunctional relationships.  Jack had his father in his life and gave up seeking approval and in some ways became the more mature of that pair.  With Locke, he was so desperate for his father's approval that he could not recognize his father's character defects and continually returned looking for a bond that was not to be.

The acting here is stellar.  The ensemble cast gels in a way few have.  Matthew Fox might have been thought of as the central character when they started out, but that truly has changed by this season.  Jack is still central to much of what’s going on, but there are so many characters that are multi-dimensional and interesting in their own right, rather than being there just to play off a few central characters.  Evangeline Lilly as Kate creates a nice triangle of sexual tension with Matthew Fox and Josh Holloway.  The affection growing between Claire and Charlie (portrayed by Emilie de Ravin and Dominic Monaghan) as he struggles with his own demons also resonated with me, and gave the audience more to cheer for.  The complex relationship of husband and wife Jin and Sun (portrayed by Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim) also gives these actors room to stretch besides standing nearby looking worried as events on the island unfold.  Truly, this was a fantastic ensemble cast that did some fantastic work with the stories thrown at them.

The DVD release is exciting too.  Many of the episodes come with commentary from members of the cast and crew.  There’s also a seventh disc replete with extras including featurettes, deleted scenes, bloopers and more.  If you’re into getting an idea of what was going on behind the scenes, these are a lot of fun.  Just don’t listen to any of the commentaries before you’ve finished the entire season.

Like the first season, we get a good cliff-hanger at the end of this one that will make a viewer eager to watch season three.  I do recommend watching the series in order and watching it closely.  There are many details contained in storylines that have a payoff down the road.  I caught a few things I missed the first time around, and I am sure there are more that I missed as well.  This is one of those series you can watch over and over again and always make new discoveries.  This second season does a fantastic job building on what was developed in the first season and taking the story in fascinating new directions.

Disc One

Man of Science, Man of Faith
Adrift
Orientation
Everybody Hates Hugo

• Commentary on Man of Science, Man of Faith with Executive Producers Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, Bryan Burk, and Jack Bender

Disc Two

What Kate Did
The 23rd Psalm
The Hunting Party
Fire & Water

• Commentary on What Kate Did with Director Paul Edwards, Director of Photography Michael Bonvillain, and Evangeline Lilly
• Commentary on The 23rd Psalm with Executive Producers Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, and Bryan Burk

Disc Four

The Long Con
One of Them
Maternity Leave
The Whole Truth

• Commentary on The Whole Truth with Yunjin Kim, Daniel Dae Kim, and Writers Elizabeth Sarnoff and Christina M. Kim

Disc Five

Lockdown
Dave
S.O.S.
Two For the Road

• Commentary on Dave with Director Jack Bender and Co-Stars Jorge Garcia and Cynthia Watros

Disc Six

?
Three Minutes
Live Together, Die Alone: Part 1
Live Together, Die Alone: Part 2

Disc Seven (Bonus Material)

• Fire & Water: anatomy of an Episode