Weight Watchers Magazine Subscription Reviews

Weight Watchers Magazine Subscription

Weight Watchers for the Weight Watcher

Jul 9, 2002 (Updated Mar 21, 2003)

Pros:Great information; nice layout; motivational.

Cons:Appears to be for women only.

The Bottom Line: This is a great magazine. It is a little different than most on the market, which is nice.

In November 2001, I joined Weight Watchers. I knew I would like the program and got out 1 magazine from the library. I knew I would like the magazine from that 1 issue and wanted a subscription. My husband got me one for my birthday in January. This is one magazine that I look forward to getting every two months. I don’t dread having to read it like I have other subscriptions that have worn out their welcome. I have in front of me 3 issues of Weight Watchers All About Success magazine but will focus on the latest which is my July/August 2002 issue.

About the magazine:

Weight Watchers has the look of Glamour with a glossy cover and an attractive woman on the cover but it is geared toward people either on the Weight Watchers program or those interested in healthy eating. There is a page on beauty and a page on fashion, for example, in each issue, in an attempt to round out the magazine.

For me, that does round it out. I don't get any beauty or fashion magazines at the moment, so at least this little bit keeps me informed of what may be "in." On the website the magazine is advertised as “The only magazine in America devoted to weight loss and well-being. Each issue of Weight Watchers Magazine is like a visit from a supportive friend who inspires and guides you with good advice and great recipes that fit your busy life.

Tips & pointers for weight loss
Solid and sensible advice to lose weight and keep it off

Motivation & inspiration
Real success stories from real people

Beauty tips
Make-up hints to make you look and feel your best

Fashion
Styles and looks for every figure

Recipes
Over 30 recipes in each issue – mouthwatering appetizers, satisfying main courses and scrumptious desserts”

~They are all 114 pages in length with glossy pages that are a pleasure to look at.

~It is published bimonthly by Weight Watchers 21st Corporation.

About the contents

~Each issue has between 5-8 cover stories. In the most recent we will read about the “Best American Food Fair;” “Great City Walks;” and “Going Organic.”

Each issue has the same main topics, which are:

~Voices, Beauty 101, Fashion 101, Fitness 101, One-Hit Wonder (about avocados); Food for Thought; Ready, Set, Walk; Vital Signs (bathroom blues? This article is about incontinence.); Energy In (Get Sporty- with the Duchess of York); and Rear View.

~We will also find articles in Faces of Success, Style File, Food (9 articles in the current issue), and Features (Snooze and Lose, for example).

~Looking deeper, I loved the 2-page article in the section “Ready, Set, Walk” (on the front cover) which addresses strolls in various cities, including Boston (where I live) and Hawaii (where I just was). The strolls mentioned are accurate and although the articles are short, they are presented well and give enough information to be really helpful and interesting.

~I find Faces of Success very motivational. Each issue presents a few real life women with before and after pictures, tell their stories of how they have lost weight and kept it off. They also talk about what the weight loss has meant to their quality of life. I find magazines like this motivational and when I was younger would reach for Fitness or Shape when I was in a rut. This magazine is geared for all ages, but would not get the attention of a 20-year-old unless she is actively participating in the Weight Watchers program.

~“Front + Center” in the Features section is a 4-page article on how to love being the center of attention. I found, though not totally original, the material presented just a bit differently than I have read before in other magazines. Facing your fears, giving jealousy the boot and channeling optimism are just 3 of the suggestions.

~I am not much of a cook but I did make a couple of recipes from past issues (a shrimp dish and an eggplant dish) and they were wonderful. I do pay attention to these recipes where I would not in a magazine such as Good Housekeeping. There is also a 7-day food planner that is helpful, especially to the person new to the program or again looking for healthy ways to eat.

~The one-page article on yoga with pictures isn’t new to me, but for many women who have never done any exercise at all this page shows and discusses simple movements to get started.

~Another article I thought very helpful and being talked about more and more are women’s leaky bladders. This is a well-done article talking about how weight may relate to the problem and giving a government website for more information.

Layout and Ads:

The layout of Weight Watchers is very easy to follow. Most of the articles are at least 1 page long, so you won’t find 10 3-line paragraphs to sort through. You will find very few ads on the articles themselves and most of the ads are food related. In fact, this magazine has more coupons than any I have seen and I use most of the products so it pays for itself. I counted 12 coupons for most products I use that I haven’t cut out of this issue yet. (Well I’ve cut out one so far.) I cut out coupons from the other 2 issues and counted up over $5.00 worth of products.

I actually like many of the ads for foods that are not Weight Watcher brands, but tell how many points they have. So for example I learned that Pita-Snax are 2 points per serving. Most of the ads are geared this way.

There are a couple of ads for the Weight Watcher Program, which can be expected, but I don’t feel overwhelmed that they are pushing the program.

Price:

The cover price is $2.95. A subscription for 6 issues (1 year) is $13.95, which is a 21% savings off the cover price. I use the main Weight Watcher website a lot: www.weightwatchers.com. There is no deal on getting the subscription online but it is a fantastic website for Weight Watchers information and forums. For the magazine, the url is: http://www.weightwatchers.com/shop/h_sh_mag.asp

My thoughts:

$2.35 is a lot for a subscription that you only get 6 times a year. You will find magazines for less than that. However, in my opinion, this magazine is quite unique. I was at the airport the other day and there wasn’t a magazine, other than O (Oprah’s) that I wanted to buy. They all say the same thing in the same way. I find Weight Watchers to be a bit different, especially if you are a Weight Watcher! I highly recommend this one if you are and haven’t subscribed yet or if you just want some good nutritional information, motivation with a bit of clothing suggestions (the latest in clothes made out of jean material this month) and psychological suggestions. (“Coping without Food” is in the March/April issue.)

Many men are doing the Weight Watchers Program (including my husband) and the magazine is clearly geared toward women. I would think in the future, they will add some articles that will attract men. Certainly "Vitamin News" is a generic article but unless you hand the article to a man, he most likely will not pick up Weight Watchers. I am rating it a 4 rather than a 5 for this reason.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions.

You may also want to read:

Body for Life by Bill Phillips- the book
The Atkins Diet

Weight Watchers

Get With The Program" (Bob Greene - Oprah's mentor)

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution- the book
Body for Life- the diet

Weight Watchers Magazine - 2 year(s)

12 issues - Weight Watchers Magazine is the perfect for women or men who are dedicated to their health and fitness goals. Issues of Weight Watchers pr...

Weight Watchers Magazine - 3 year(s)

18 issues - Weight Watchers Magazine is the perfect for women or men who are dedicated to their health and fitness goals. Issues of Weight Watchers pr...
Subscription Addiction

Weight Watchers Magazine - 4 year(s)

Weight Watchers Magazine - 4 year(s)

24 issues - This magazine is edited for women committed to change and seeking a healthy lifestyle. It delivers advice on health, fitness, fashion, bea...

Weight Watchers Magazine Guide to Healthy Life Style [VHS]

Weight Watchers Magazine Guide to Healthy Life Style [VHS]

Brand New, Perfect Condition. May Ship From Overseas, Free Upgrade to Priority Shipping.

Weight Watchers Magazine - 1 year(s)

6 issues - Weight Watchers Magazine is the perfect for women or men who are dedicated to their health and fitness goals. Issues of Weight Watchers pro...

Weight Watchers Magazine - 2 year(s)

12 issues - This magazine is edited for women committed to change and seeking a healthy lifestyle. It delivers advice on health, fitness, fashion, bea...

Weight Watchers Magazine - 3 year(s)

18 issues - This magazine is edited for women committed to change and seeking a healthy lifestyle. It delivers advice on health, fitness, fashion, bea...

Weight Watchers Magazine - 1 year(s)

6 issues - This magazine is edited for women committed to change and seeking a healthy lifestyle. It delivers advice on health, fitness, fashion, beau...

Golf Digest Magazine Subscription 12 Issues

Golf Digest Magazine Subscription 12 Issues

You are bidding on a 12 issues subscription to golf digest. Please include your name and address when you submit payment. Please allow 4-6 weeks for f...