Architectural Digest Magazine Subscription Reviews

Architectural Digest Magazine Subscription

Architectural Digest: Hollywood at Home

Mar 21, 2000 (Updated Oct 5, 2000)

Pros:interesting essays, photos and features

Cons:a bit expensive

For someone who is a regular reader of just about every shelter magazine, I have to admit that Architectural Digest is one that usually leaves me cold. I rarely read it because when I do I find that most of its features are unrealistic and pretentious (as least in my humble opinion). I guess Architectural Digest just isn't my style.

In addition to shelter magazines, I also love movie magazines. I used to love to read Premiere, back before they changed management, and the trades. I love Vanity Fair, especially its classic Hollywood issues.

One issue of Architectural Digest does help to combine my two loves: decorating and the movies. I have to admit that I have found myself purchasing at least one issue every year for the last few years and reading it cover to cover. I never seem to miss the annual “Hollywood At Home” issue (April) once it hits the newsstand. It practically leaps off the shelf and into my hands when I least suspect it. I do love classic Hollywood and the movies.

For those of you who have never noticed this issue look for the collage of movie starts on the cover. The April 2000 cover shows: Clark Gable, Natalie Wood, William H. Macy, Hedy Lamarr, Marilyn Monroe, Bing Crosby, Samuel L. Jackson, Doris Day and Claire Danes. Just a few of the stars featured between the covers of this issue.

Between the covers are photo spreads and features of all aspects of “Hollywood” style.

Don’t miss Robert Towne’s marvelous essay where he recalls the sites, sounds and smells of a long-dead L.A. and how they inspired him to write the screenplay for Chinatown.

Paul Theroux observes the bidders at a Christie’s Hollywood memorabilia auction in “Selling Marilyn Monroe” and shares stories on who bought what and for how much.

My particular favorite’s always include the people, places and things of Hollywood’s golden era including in this issue articles on Film Noir posters, restoring English movie palaces, silent era movie star homes, Busby Berkeley’s mansion, and even a feature about Jamaica’s Goldeneye Hotel (there is a great corner writing desk that I just have to have).

I love the breadth and depth of this issue, the photos and the essays, the stars and the writers/producers/set designers, and the old and the new. If you are a movie buff (classic or otherwise) you will want to add Architectural Digest’s Hollywood at Home issue to your collection. Besides, it looks great on a coffee table!

Architectural Digest Magazine - 4 year(s)

Architectural Digest Magazine - 4 year(s)

48 issues - Presents outstanding residential interiors. It exemplifies fine art, antiques, architecture, and gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Architectural Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

Architectural Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

24 issues - Presents outstanding residential interiors. It exemplifies fine art, antiques, architecture, and gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Architectural Digest Magazine - 3 year(s)

Architectural Digest Magazine - 3 year(s)

36 issues - Presents outstanding residential interiors. It exemplifies fine art, antiques, architecture, and gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Architectural Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

Architectural Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

12 issues - Presents outstanding residential interiors. It exemplifies fine art, antiques, architecture, and gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Catholic Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

Catholic Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

18 issues - Catholic Digest magazine: Catholic Digest is a trusted source of hope and inspiration; heartwarming human-interest stories that celebra...

Baseball Digest Magazine

Baseball Digest Magazine

Term: 6 issues - One Year SubscriptionYour Savings: 67% off the cover priceBaseball Digest delivers articles from the leading columns found in the spo...

Catholic Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

Catholic Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

9 issues - Catholic Digest magazine: Catholic Digest is a trusted source of hope and inspiration; heartwarming human-interest stories that celebrat...

Reader's Digest Magazine

Reader's Digest Magazine

Term: 10 issues - One Year SubscriptionYour Savings: 69% off the cover priceDiscover all the joy, laughter and richness of life on every page of Reade...

Baseball Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

Baseball Digest Magazine - 2 year(s)

12 issues - For baseball fans interested in big-league baseball.Articles are selected from leading columns from sports pages in newspapers and magazin...
Subscription Addiction

Bills Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

Bills Digest Magazine - 1 year(s)

22 issues - Bills Digest: the NFL newspaper devoted to the Buffalo Bills.