Birds & Blooms Magazine

How Do I Ward Off Squirrels???

Oct 25, 2002 (Updated Oct 25, 2002)

Pros:Each page is simply gorgeous as well as informative.

Cons:Too long of a wait in-between times for each issue.

The Bottom Line: It's a lovely picture ad-free magazine with amazing projects and advice for gardeners and non-gardeners. Babies, children and adults will go ga-ga over the photos.

Here is a 60 plus page magazine where imagination and ingenuity take over in an all mass-produced world that will capture your complete attention from cover to cover. The unique birdhouses and home-made attractions in people's yards will entice you as well as the lovely photos of nature.

Birds & Bloom is loaded with honest-to-goodness photos of enthusiastic lovers of nature. Most photos were sent in by its readers and some by the staff. Even if you're not a gardener, looking at these lovely pictures will make you feel better and with winter coming, Birds & Bloom is a Pick-Me-Upper for those stay indoors type days.

You'll see real intricate detailed pictures of nature such as: birds up close, hummingbirds hoovering in the air, the silly antics of squirrels and other wild life that visit our backyards all of the four seasons. Also people with a keen eye send in photos that are published of spider webs in the early-morning dew, spiders spinning webs, lovely flowers with bees on them, stray birds who forgot to fly south for the winter, crocuses coming up from ice, beautiful landscaping and crystal frost in an ice-world of beauty. I especially love the inside look of flowers up close that seem like they are blooming right before your eyes. These are just some of the photos that have been introduced in Birds & Bloom magazine that I have seen in various issues.

The vivid color and design of the natural beauty of nature up close attracts the eyes of babies 6 months old and older as well as children and adults of all ages.

I purchase my magazines through Reiman Publications and keep them in a special binder. Recently I bought some at a yard sale and decided to take the extra issues to a nursing home and distribute them amongst the patients.

One particular little lady (4 ft.7"), Iris was 97 years old and confined herself to her room because she was depressed as she had no family or friends left and didn't care to make any new ones where she was. I tapped on her partially opened door and peered in. She was sitting up in bed, her back facing me just staring out of the window at a tree. "Iris, my name is Carol, can I come in, I have some beautiful photos to show you." Her reply was "Go away please."

I gave the nurse on duty 2 magazines to give to Iris. "Oh! she's not even going to look at them." she said rather nonchalantly shaking her hand downward. I then placed them on Iris' bed and left.

The next day I returned and was told by a rather surprised nurse on duty that day that Iris had looked at the magazines. Later we got a chance to talk about the beautiful pictures. Iris used to have a garden like some of the ones in Birds & Bloom. She oohed and aahed over the captivating photography and actually told me that there is no advertising in this magazine. Of course I knew that but it was nice hearing it from her. I bring her magazines on regular basis now. She is nearly 98 years old now.

I bet you readers guessed the outcome of this story. I not only got Iris interested in life again but made a real good friend and she now eats in the dining hall and talks about her flowers. And note her name...the name of a flower. Not to mention the fact that this lovely lady used to plant deep purple velvety Irises at one time.

Birds & Bloom has a section where people write in their garden and nature questions. It's called "Across The Fence" and included are the person's name and home and e-mail address so you can contact anyone. One such answer to a question I always look for is "How do I ward off squirrels?" In one issue a reader did everything possible to outsmart that little critter and wrote a long amusing story about it. Guess what? the squirrel won!

If any of you readers know how to ward off squirrels from stealing seeds from birdfeeders, kindly comment to me. I have even bought a squirrel feeder. The greedy little critter (same one every time) eats faster than the birds, in facts he inhales the seeds to get to the birdfeeder as fast as he can.

There's a section on unique birdfeeders that readers made. But haven't seen one that squirrels weren't attreacted to. People using their ingenuity and love of wood every one of them have produced some work of art and took pictures of them for others to see and enjoy. I'm sure one will come up soon with squirrel-proof one so I'm renewing every year in order not to miss a word Birds & Bloom has in it.

The June/July 2002 issue has a lovely picture of my favorite flower the Frosty Marigold taken straight from a reader's studio garden. Some people have small spaces to garden in and still send in the most beautiful pictures. One particular issue had a small garden bridge as an accent to a stream with wild flowers adorning the sides.

"You Don't Say" is a section that has humorous photos. If you'd like to go online and enter their recent contest, type in www.reimanpublications.com and click under choice of magazines. Think up a humorous caption for their fall issue. You just might win a special Birds & Bloom suncatcher. Click on Birds & Bloom". You'll also see many other magazines by Reiman Publications. Check them out too.

Or call 1-800-344-6913. Published bi-monthly (sad to say) 6 issues are $14.98, 12 at $22.98. While you're there visit my very favorite other magazine 'Reminisce.' Birds & Bloom are also sold in small rural stores. That is where I found my first issue. I have yet to see them in a supermarket check-out.

Birds & Blooms magazines can be referred to time and time again. They also make excellent 'coffee table' conversation pieces. I always keep one on display and I haven't had a visitor yet who hasn't picked it up and commented on how beautiful and helpful a magazine it is.

Go ahead, order... Christmas is coming soon and it's so easy to give this as a gift plus the recipient will think of you each time the mail comes with a 'surprise' every 2 months throughout the year.

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 2 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 2 year(s)

14 issues - Birds & Blooms EXTRA is published on the months in between Birds & Blooms...and is jam-packed with EVEN MORE practical hints, how-to's on ...

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 1 year(s)

7 issues - Celebrates the joys of attracting birds and tending to beautiful backyard flower gardens.
Subscription Addiction

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 3 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 3 year(s)

21 issues - Birds & Blooms EXTRA is published on the months in between Birds & Blooms...and is jam-packed with EVEN MORE practical hints, how-to's on ...
SpeedyMags.com

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 1 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Extra Magazine - 1 year(s)

7 issues - Birds & Blooms EXTRA is published on the months in between Birds & Blooms...and is jam-packed with EVEN MORE practical hints, how-to's on a...
SpeedyMags.com

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 2 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 2 year(s)

14 issues - Celebrates the joys of attracting birds and tending to beautiful backyard flower gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 3 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 3 year(s)

21 issues - Celebrates the joys of attracting birds and tending to beautiful backyard flower gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 4 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 4 year(s)

28 issues - Celebrates the joys of attracting birds and tending to beautiful backyard flower gardens.
SpeedyMags.com

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 5 year(s)

Birds & Blooms Magazine - 5 year(s)

35 issues - Celebrates the joys of attracting birds and tending to beautiful backyard flower gardens.