Brio Magazine Reviews

Brio Magazine

brio

Jun 30, 2001

Pros:Quality in content. Promotes good morals and values and raises self-esteem

Cons:If you are not a Christian you may not like it.

The Bottom Line: Recommended as a quality magazine for teen girls. My daughter also receives American Girl which she likes, but her favorite is Brio.

I try to be careful about the reading material I bring into my home for my 13-year-old daughter.

One of the magazines I have given her a subscription to is Brio. She first found out about this magazine at a friends house and asked me if I would buy it for her. She told me it was a Christian publication and I could find it at the Family Christian Bookstore. I bought an issue to look it over. I liked what I saw and since she was interested in Brio I gave her a subscription to it.

While doing some research on Brio magazine I discovered that Focus On The Family publishes it. “Brio is an Italian word that means full of energy, life and enthusiasm.” Brio has been published for more than 11 years and has been teaching, entertaining and challenging teen girls toward a healthy self-concept and closer relationship with Jesus Christ.

The contents have some articles that appear regularly each month. These are:

DEAR SUSIE – by Susie Shellenberger. Susie gives advice on questions submitted by readers of Brio. The questions are about a wide range of things that interest teen girls. Things like guys & dating, death, ouija boards, music, sex, the sanctity of human life, purity and Harry Potter just to mention a few.

THE CAFETERIA LADY – by Martha Bolton. A humorous look at teen life in relation to school, home, friends, and relationships. Touches on a wide variety of subjects such as BEING MISQUOTED, WISDOM FOR THE AGES( A stitch in time saves nine...but a stapler's a lot faster), A SCHOOL NURSE being ready for any emergency such as...Report Card Ankle Sprain - A self-inflicted injury usually intended to delay student's arrival home on report card day. You get the idea?

HIGH VOLTAGE – by Bob Smithouser. Bob answers teens questions on the morality and values of movies, music and other media.

HOLLY AND THE HALLS OF IVY – by Kathleen Webb. This is a cartoon page about a teenage girl and dealing with situations with friends and at school.

IN STEP – by Natalie Lloyd. A monthly devotional guide based on the scripture search that opens with a topic teens see in their daily lives and continues on with commentary on the subject. Scripture Search is a reading guide that if followed daily, you will read the bible in a year.

Other articles that rotate from month to month are:

ASK DR. PAUL – by Paul Rothwell, M.D. Dr. Paul answers questions related to health and fitness.

LA GLAMOUR – by Andrea Stephens. Gives healthy beauty tips for teens by answering teens questions.

GUY TALK – Helps unravel the mystery of guys . Various boys have been interviewed and voice their ideas and thoughts speaking out on what they wish girls better understood about guys.

Each month there are also several articles and stories on contemporary issues facing teens today, articles on contemporary Christian music groups and artists and a sprinkling of articles on various assorted topics.

An example of some recent article titles;
“Got Morals? Anybody out there stand for what’s right anymore?”,
“What Is Beautiful?”,
“What’s So Important About Accountability?”,
“Learning To Yield…Dad Was Driving Me Crazy! Didn’t He Care How Much I Wanted A Car? Maybe The Hardest Part Of Driver Training Was Learning To Yield.” (WOW long title) and
“Mind Over Media, a Safari Through The Media Jungle."

ADVERTISING – Ok, it is a magazine and it does contain advertising. In my opinion the advertising is not overdone. On the two pages entitled STUFF WE LIKE, the advertising includes newly released Christian cd’s, shirts, books, videos, jewelry and other funky stuff( those are my daughters words lol) teenage girls like and would be interested in. There are also dates of upcoming Christian events, music tours, and mission trips.

In the most recent issue (July, 01) of the 40 pages in the issue, 6 pages were ads. Of these six pages 1 ad was for a free video. There were also 3 small ad spots on other pages and one insert for ordering Christian books.

For girls older than 16 a magazine called Brio & Beyond is recommended and there is also a magazine for boys called Breakaway.

Brio also has a web sit for teens. It is located at http://www.briomag.com/briomagazine/ Check this site out. You can read recent articles from Brio magazine and learn more about Brio and its editors.

I highly recommend Brio Magazine for teen girls. This magazine helps reinforce values and morals we have taught our daughter. It lets her know she is not alone in the choices and decisions she faces and helps guide her and gives her wisdom in her choices and decisions based upon Judeo-Christian principles.

As a parent we have only a few precious years to guide our children and give them the foundation they will need to stand firm in the years ahead. As they step out in the world each day they are faced with a lot of things we never had to face, let alone think about. Brio helps reinforce this foundation and I thank Focus On The Family for their help.

Brio Lifting Bridge

Brio Lifting Bridge

Product Details 3 pieces; bridge unit and two access tracks Move the bridge up and down with the mechanical crank Move the safety gates up and down Fi...
Brio Central Station Brand In Box

Brio Central Station Brand In Box

Brio Central Station Brand New in the Box Start your journey at the Brio Central Station to pick up passengers.Features and benefits for Brio Central ...

Brio Deluxe Railway Set

re you ready for the all-encompassing fun of this extensive train set? The Brio Deluxe Railway Set is a complete world of railway favorites designed ...
Fat Brain Toys

Brio Deluxe Railway Set

This is the most complete BRIO Rail & Road world there is! An action packed setting including passenger trains, freight trains, harbor scenes and metr...
Albee Baby

Brio Gold Mining Train

Brio Gold Mining Train

Home About Us Contact Us Terms Conditions Shipping Brio Gold Mining Train The train is coming loaded with gold! This freight train is specially design...

BRIO Ascending Track

BRIO Ascending Track

Product Information: The land goes up and down, and so does the track of the BRIO Wooden Railway. This set of two inclined pieces fits together to for...

Brio Classic Figure 8 Set

Brio Classic Figure 8 Set New item in distressed packaging. Package has been opened to inspect contents and quality. Product description: Founded in S...

Brio - Signal Station - Brio Railway System 33764 Complete And In Box

Brio - Signal Station - Brio Railway System 33764 Complete And In Box

BRIO Railway System SIGNAL BRIDGE ACCESSORY #33674 New in Package This auction is for the above listed Railway System Accessory by BROI as part of the...