People Magazine Reviews

People Magazine

107 consumer reviews

It's Just Barbershop Reading (Lean-n-Mean W/O )

Nov 30, 2002 (Updated Nov 30, 2002)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Quality of Gossip:

Pros:Great for a quick read to pass the time.

Cons:Not much of substance.

The Bottom Line: Trying to keep within the word constrictions of this Lean-n-Mean W/O was a challenge. Short is definitely not easier!

What I really like while I’m listening to the chatter in the barbershop is getting a whiff of the bay rum my barber lavishly splashes around and flicking through this magazine at a rather rapid pace. All at once one of the flashy pictures or headlines strikes me as something “I gotta read.” People gives me a chance to catch-up on the news, glitz and glamour of our world.

The cover of the November 11 issue went to Sarah Jessica Parker (Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Broderick), who just had her first child. The headline screams “IT’S A BOY” in baby blue, and you can read all about the proud parents, the pregnancy and the birth on page 124.

Cover teasers included a picture of Winona Ryder with a quip saying, “The director made her do it?” There’s a small red banner about the sniper suspects located top center, and a bridal picture of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey, whoever they are (I never bothered to find out.).

The Table of Contents is right up front, so readers don’t have to wade through tons of ads. But there are ads a-plenty . . . like every other page. The Mailbag follows for those who really must know what readers thought about the articles in the last issue. I didn’t care.

It’s here that the people at People are smart enough to give fax and e-mail information and a way to contact customer service by the web, telephone or surface mail. They also let us know that there’s a web site (www.People.com) where they hawk more gossip about the stars and other regular folk who are having their fifteen minutes of fame

Star Tracks keeps us alerted on what’s happening with some great pictures and some very corny copy that’s full of double-entendres and overworked, tricky wordplay by the magazine’s copywriters.

Scoop gives us “the latest scoop” on how to get a baseball-sized hunk of Elvis’s hair, complete with pomade. Hs stylist saved it for posterity. Hmmmph, mine just gets swept up with all the other clippings and tossed. You can also make a bid on the male hairpiece Liza Minelli wore in Victor/Victoria. I think I’ll pass on both of those items.

Picks & Pans is a “this week at-a-glance” look at the good and the bad on the Tube, the Screen, in Song and on Pages. After another swath of ads there’s a gossip column called Insider, followed by the first of the big articles, in this case the Beltway snipers, that wedding in Texas and Winona’s day(s) in court including her outfits.

Next up was Princess Diana’s “frigid” mother at the butler’s trial and a picture of the separated Alvarez twins. After that, we read a tribute to Senator Paul Wellstone and another for Richard Harris, who just made his final bow. Then came an article on Salma Hayek’s making of the life of Frida Kahlo. It’s the one movie I’ll make an effort to see this year. I read it all!

With down-to-earth sections like family and host we get a look at the other side of the coin and see some real people. We’re quickly brought back to glitz and theater with style and a look at how Cristina Aquilera seems to be patterning her “look” after past (and current) extreme dressers like Cher!

There’s the cover article (which was well done) and lots more to please everyone of every stripe . . . even a crossword mixed in among some tacky fashion advice before a look at out of the past and a final gossip column.

All in all I’d never spend my money on this magazine. With haircuts being as expensive as they are, let the barbers buy it so I'll have something to look at while I’m waiting.

This is my submission into the Lean-n-Mean W/O hosted by Sleeper54. For details go to http://www.epinions.com/user-sleeper54.