A Good Magazine for a Firearms Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2001

Pros:Lots of information on Firearms, Firearm Accessories, and Hunting.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Shooting Times is a well written firearms magazine.

My husband has been getting this magazine for a number of years. When it came in the mail one day, I saw something on the cover that grabbed my attention. I realized that in all the years he has been getting this magazine I have never looked at it. So, I sat down and thumbed through it.

The magazine articles are dedicated to firearms, firearm accessories, and the current political correctness issues relating to those items. As I flipped through the pages I noticed that there are an awful lot of advertisements. Each page has some type of advertisement mixed in with the articles. I asked my husband if he disliked all of the advertisement and he said it is good because it is more information that is available for the firearm enthusiast. Personally, I think that there are too many advertisements.

~Articles~

The magazine is broken up into a number of article areas and columns written by magazine staff. The articles cover rifles, handguns, shotguns and related accessories. In my husband's current issue a number of rifles, handguns and a shotgun are written about. They usually tell the reader how the gun functions, how accurate it is, the cost, and how durable they think it will be.

Some of the things I liked about magazine are as follows:

~Photography~

The pictures in the magazine are nicely done. It seems as if the photographer taking the pictures takes a lot of time and care in making sure that the object in the photo looks great. In this months issue a rifle and old fashioned handgun are photographed among old western type leather gear. The photo takes up the whole page and is very detailed and colorful.

~Writing Styles~

Because I am not a firearms enthusiast I decided to read one of the articles to see if I could understand what was being discussed. Some of the terms were foreign to me but I could follow along and understand what the author was trying to describe. The articles are centered around the photographs and tables that show how fast bullets go. The tables also discuss the accuracy of the firearms being discussed.

~Cost~

The magazine costs about twenty dollars a year for a subscription. My husband said he has gotten it for as little as $17 dollars for the year. Each year subscription comes with 12 monthly issues.

Overall this magazine is well written for a firearms and non-firearms enthusiast. It has a lot of information packed into it. If you know someone who is a firearms enthusiast it would make a good gift.

Shooting Times Magazine

Term: 12 issues - One Year SubscriptionYour Savings: 65% off the cover priceEvery issue of Shooting Times offers exciting, authoritative coverage of g...

Golf Magazine

Golf Magazine

Term: 12 issues - One Year SubscriptionYour Savings: 70% off the cover priceOnly Golf Magazine helps you play better, shoot lower scores and enjoy eve...

Videomaker Magazine

Videomaker Magazine

Term: 13 issues - One Year SubscriptionYour Savings: 71% off the cover priceTranform your home movies into feature presentations with Videomaker! Shoo...