Vegetarian Times Magazine Reviews

Vegetarian Times Magazine

Vegetarian Times: Recipes and Reading for All

Oct 17, 2005 (Updated Oct 19, 2005)

Pros:Good recipes and nutrition information; Consistent organization

Cons:Occasional sappy letter to editor or article about animal rights, hunting, etc.

The Bottom Line: This is a good magazine with some great suggestions for side dishes to a meaty meal or main food dishes for those who don't partake in meat.

Cooking magazines are wide in variety and there is a publication to match most anyone’s personal tastes. Some magazines in this category focus on gourmet meals. Some focus on desserts and other specific foods. And for those who prefer meatless dishes, the most popular magazine option is Vegetarian Times, a publication designed for those who like food dishes made from the earth.

Features of This Magazine:

This magazine contains approx. 100 pages in each issue with the following departments:

Health- This section contains the latest news, food shopping, nutrition information, etc.

Quick- This section includes a few short articles on making quick, simple food dishes without meat.

Life- Articles in this section deal with day to day living, with a special emphasis on those who make a living off the land or who have done something earth- friendly.

Cuisine- Pages and pages of recipes are the main ingredient in this part of the magazine.

Staples- This part of the magazine encompasses the editor’s notes, a list of contributors, recipe index, and other reference material for each issue.

Along with these departments, one can expect to find about four featured articles in each issue, each with a food or earth- friendly theme.

Cost to Subscribe:

Vegetarian Times carries a standard one- year subscription price of $23.95 for ten issues. This works out to $2.40 per issue, or a savings of 52 percent off the $4.99 cover price. Looking through some magazine web sites, I was able to find this magazine selling for lower prices. Most web sites sell it for at least $4 less per year and some were as low as $11.95 per year.

Customer Service:

The best way to find out more about this magazine is to visit the web page, vegetariantimes.com. The web site contains a few snippets of articles from the latest issue, along with subscription information and contact information. The magazine’s business offices are located in El Segundo, California, but you can contact customer service toll- free by calling 877-717-8923.

Final Thoughts:

Vegetarian Times is a magazine dedicated to those who love the taste of fruits, vegetables, grains, and other non- meat products. This publication is dedicated to supplying its readers with plenty of recipes, nutrition information, breaking news, fitness, and alternative health articles.

I have been receiving this magazine at my home for the past six months or so and I must confess that when I was offered a complimentary subscription, I almost declined the offer. The reason I almost said no is because I assumed (like many people do) that this was a magazine intended exclusively for those who are practicing vegetarians. I am a carnivore in every sense of the word so I was reluctant to give this magazine a chance. But since it was offered free of charge, I decided to accept. I had nothing to lose and besides, I figured it could offer some funny commentary on vegetarian activism and animal rights. I went ahead and took the offer.

What I discovered is that Vegetarian Times isn’t the magazine I thought it was. I was expecting a magazine that was hell- bent on converting the world’s people to vegetarianism, with loads of propaganda, emotional stories about killing animals, political stories about restricting hunting, etc., etc. But this magazine isn’t like that. The reason I assumed it would be this way is probably due to the magazine’s title more than anything else. With the words "vegetarian" and "times" in the magazine’s title, I assumed it was going to be heavily focused on political activism. It isn't. If the title was more benign, like "Cooking with Vegetables" or something like that, I probably wouldn't have assumed this was a politically motivated publication. There is an occasional short story relating to politics, and there are some subtle hints thrown into some of the stories that attempt to persuade you to give up meat. But these stories are the exception, not the rule.

What you will find more than anything in this magazine is recipes. And whether or not you are a practicing vegan, you will find many of them to be creative, intriguing, and tempting. There are some very interesting concoctions offered in this magazine, and many of them are taken directly from gourmet chefs who have worked in the food preparation business for decades. They offer recipes and general tips on making non- meat dishes, both as a main course and as a side item to a larger meal.

Next in importance at Vegetarian Times is nutrition and physical well- being. One of the greatest concerns that non- vegetarians have when considering the possibility of swearing off meat for good is that they won’t be able to get the proper nutrition. That is why Vegetarian Times devotes the amount of space that it does to the topic of nutrition. They want the world to see that, with proper monitoring, it is possible to live a healthy life and get the necessary nutrients for survival without resorting to meat.

Advertisements cover about forty percent of the pages of each issue of Vegetarian Times- a moderate amount for a food publication. Besides the limits on ads, one thing I really like about this magazine is the organization. Most every issue is the same length and the different departments are found in almost precisely the same areas. The “Life” department, for example, is found between approx. pages 40 and 55. Cuisine is found between pages 55 and 70. The other departments follow a similar pattern.

Overall, Vegetarian Times is a pretty good magazine and one that surprised me tremendously upon my first examination. I came into this experience expecting political articles, rants from pro- animal rights groups, anti- meat talk, and general fanaticism about the vegetarian lifestyle. Granted, there are a few stories like these but they are the exception not the rule. The bulk of this magazine is dedicated to recipes and whether or not you are a practicing vegetarian, you will enjoy the culinary treats presented in the pages of Vegetarian Times. Before you allow yourself to be turned- off by the title, keep in mind that every one of us- including big meat eaters- likes to have a side dish with his/her favorite dish that doesn’t include meat. And Vegetarian Times offers some creative ideas for meatless dishes, with recipes that combine fruits, vegetables, grains, pastas, and the like for a tasty alternative or delicious side dish to your favorite meaty, high- fat meal.

Recommended For: Anyone

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 3 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 3 year(s)

27 issues - From snacks to full course meals, Vegetarian Times offers healthier new recipes for classic food dishes. In every issue, you'll find seaso...
Subscription Addiction

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 5 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 5 year(s)

45 issues - From snacks to full course meals, Vegetarian Times offers healthier new recipes for classic food dishes. In every issue, you'll find seaso...
SpeedyMags.com

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 2 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 2 year(s)

18 issues - From snacks to full course meals, Vegetarian Times offers healthier new recipes for classic food dishes. In every issue, you'll find seaso...
Subscription Addiction

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 4 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 4 year(s)

36 issues - From snacks to full course meals, Vegetarian Times offers healthier new recipes for classic food dishes. In every issue, you'll find seaso...
SpeedyMags.com

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 3 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 3 year(s)

SpeedyMags.com

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 1 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine - 1 year(s)

9 issues - From snacks to full course meals, Vegetarian Times offers healthier new recipes for classic food dishes. In every issue, you'll find season...
Subscription Addiction

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 2 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 2 year(s)

SpeedyMags.com

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 1 year(s)

Vegetarian Times Magazine Magazine - 1 year(s)