Mercer Mayer - There's an Alligator Under My Bed

There's an Alligator Under My Bed

Dec 28, 2008

Pros:18 thumbs up from Osage County First Grade

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: Osage County First Grade discusses actual as opposed to imaginary tale as we talk about what makes a book real or fiction.

Mercer Mayer's - There's an Alligator Under My Bed is another in his nightmare/night fear books written to help alleviate children's fears for what might be in the closet, under the bed, or waiting for eyes to close.

There's an Alligator Under My Bed
is a Dial book for young readers.  The narrative opens as a PJ clad lad is coming into his room, a plank under one arm he survey his bed.

-There used to be an alligator under my bed.-

The plank is for use as a bridge getting lad from floor to bed. -I had to be very careful.-

Of course whenever he looked for the gator, it hid. And his parents never saw it, of course.

Since his parents were not going to do something about that alligator; the little boy knew he had to it. So, he got some bait, grapes, bananas, carrots,  lots of good stuff that alligators like to eat.

Laying out a trail of goodies from bedroom to garage the little boy was certain his plan would work. And, it did!

Nice, large, audaciously colored images, along with a line or so of text on each page discloses the account of a little boy Osage County First Grade really relate to.  Osage County First Grade is always very impressed with the thinking and witty way out of his problem our little hero devises to overcome typical childhood concerns.

The Little Boy's quandary and his ingenious resolution to it; provides grist for conversation as Little People first deny and then begin to talk about some of their own nighttime worries and fears.

Brisk, child friendly watercolor type images are presented along with a line or  two of text on each child centered and children pleasing page. As for the alligator; he has just the right essence of sinister to appeal to Little People.

Osage County First Grade discusses actual as opposed to imaginary tale as we talk about what makes a book real or fiction. There's an Alligator Under My Bed gets imagination in gear and zeal pumping.

Capturing the concentration of Little People; There's an Alligator Under My Bed ignites thoughts as Little People thrash out whether or not there might really be an alligator, or monster, or anything else under the bed, in the closet or attic, or just waiting for the eyes to close.

There's an Alligator Under My Bed is an enjoyable read; happy to recommend.

===========================
by Mercer Mayer (Author)

Product Details
Reading level: Ages 4-8
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Dial; 1st edition (March 30, 1987)
Language: English

$11.55 In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available

----------------------------------------------------
About the Author:

Mercer Mayer - writer and illustrator for Little Critter First Readers, as well as Little Critter Spectrum began writing and illustrating children's books in 1966 and since that time, he has published over 300 titles. Open almost any of the award-winning author/illustrator's books, and out may pop dragons, cuddly monsters, wonderful creatures, and endearing critters.

"Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid," says Mercer.  "Now that I'm a big kid, I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children, he has a son and daughter.  "They always help remind me of what it was like."

Mercer Mayer was born on December 10, 1943 in Little Rock, Arkansas where he spent his childhood hunting lizards and snakes in the swamps near his home.

During his teenage years, he attended the Honolulu Academy of Arts. He later received additional training at the Art Students League in New York City. Upon completion of his studies, he set out with pen and ink to write and illustrate a collection of children's book, reflecting many of the
adventures he experienced as a child.

Mayer currently lives in Roxbury, Connecticut

Mayer Mercer : There'S an Alligator under My Bed(Hbk) by Mercer Mayer

Mayer Mercer : There'S an Alligator under My Bed(Hbk) by Mercer Mayer

Free Delivery Worldwide : Mayer Mercer : There'S an Alligator under My Bed(Hbk) : Hardback : Penguin Books Ltd : 9780803703742 : 0803703740 : 25 Apr 1...

There's an Alligator under My Bed eBook

There's an Alligator under My Bed eBook

Buy There's an Alligator under My Bed by Mercer Mayer and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over ...
Kobo eBooks

Mayer Mercer : There'S Something in My Attic by Mercer Mayer

Mayer Mercer : There'S Something in My Attic by Mercer Mayer

Free Delivery Worldwide : Mayer Mercer : There'S Something in My Attic : Paperback : Penguin Books Ltd : 9780140548136 : 0140548130 : 24 Sep 1992 : Th...

Mercer Mayer eBook

Mercer Mayer eBook

Buy Mercer Mayer by Wheeler, Jill C. and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million Titles,...
Kobo eBooks

There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer

There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer

Free Delivery Worldwide : There's a Nightmare in My Closet : Paperback : Penguin Books Ltd : 9780140547122 : 0140547126 : 01 May 1992 : Childhood fear...