Microsoft 5WH-00002 Web Cam Reviews

Microsoft 5WH-00002 Web Cam

Free Shipping Adorama
Free Shipping Abt Electronics

A great webcam and microphone

Oct 11, 2011

Pros:Great quality camera and microphone, sleek & modern look.

Cons:Lens cap easily falls off

The Bottom Line: If you're looking for a high quality webcam this is a great choice, both video and sound quality are very high.

This is my first web cam so I can’t compare it to any previous model, I was actually looking for a quality microphone for my voice recognition software when I figured it was about time I got a web cam which includes a microphone so I’d get both a mic and a camera with one purchase.

I was going to get the 720p model but got this 1080p model because reviews of the 1080p model say it has a better microphone and autofocus on the camera. Since I was mostly looking for a microphone it made sense to get the camera with the best one. Additionally the 1080p model comes with a rubber lens cap which I like since you can be sure no one is spying on you (apparently with some Logitech webcams it’s possible to hack into them and view video without the camera’s LED going on).

Setup was very easy, I just had to plug it into the USB port and it automatically asked if I wanted to download and install the software and drivers, I answered yes and within minutes the camera was installed and ready to use. To physically attach it to your monitor, it has a rubberized metal grip that can be shaped like you want to grab onto whatever shape your monitor has, it can even be unbent all the way flat so if you still have an older CRT monitor it will fit on those too. This model also has a tripod mount which the 720p model doesn’t have so you can mount it on any standard tripod. The camera can rotate both from side to side and from top to bottom in relation to the mount so you can have it point anywhere you want regardless of the mount position.

On top of the camera there is the LED that shows if it or the microphone is active, the video call button which automatically opens a video call window, and the microphone. The camera has a very sleek and modern look and is the best looking web cam in my opinion. My only complaint with the hardware is that the included lens cap tends to easily fall out of the camera if the camera points downwards, but it holds on when the camera is installed on the monitor.

One common complaint about this camera is that the included software only does 720p video and you need additional software to record video in 1080p, however this was noted on the box and I don’t care about having 1080p anyway, but it can record in 1080p with the proper software. The included software works well and allows adding special effects that either distort the image or add things like a cow boy hat on your head that follows your movements. The video quality is very good and it’s very impressive how good an image you get even in low light conditions, I’ve never seen a camera do video this good in low light before. The microphone, which was one of my main reasons for buying this, is very impressive when used with Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software which I often use to answer emails faster. Not only does it work well from 2-3 feet away from the camera, but I have a DLP video projector for watching TV and movies and I lower an 82” projection screen in front of my regular computer screen where the camera is. One night I was watching TV on the big screen and got a notification of an important email in the corner of the screen. I looked at it and wanted to answer but didn’t want to go get the wireless keyboard, so I took a chance that perhaps the voice recognition would work with me 10 feet away from the microphone AND with an 82” screen between me and the mic, my hopes of it working were very low. So I turn on the voice recognition to reply to the email and say “click reply, Hello, thank you for answering my email…” and to my amazement it worked about as well as when I’m just 2-3 feet away with nothing between me and the microphone! Needless to say this makes an awesome hands free microphone for voice recognition or anything else you might need a microphone for. I much prefer this than to have to wear a headset or even a desktop microphone that wastes desk space.

I would highly recommend this web cam for its incredible video quality, impressive microphone and its sleek and modern look. You can’t go wrong with this one.

Microsoft Lifecam Studio 5WH-00002 1080p HD Webcam USB 2.0, Gray Experience the amazing clarity and detail of HD video. With brilliant color and cryst...
Adorama

Experience the amazing clarity and detail of HD video. With brilliant color and crystal-clear audio, this webcam with a 1080p HD widescreen sensor and...
1080p HD Sensor/ 720p HD Video Chat/ High-Precision Glass Element Fans/ Face Tracking/ Certified For Skype/ Optimized For Microsoft Lync/ Black Finish
Abt Electronics
Microsoft LifeCam Studio for Business - Web camera - color - audio - Hi-Speed USB
PCM
Experience the amazing clarity and detail of HD video. With brilliant color and crystal-clear audio this webcam with a 1080p HD widescreen sensor1 an...
MacMall