Microsoft 3500 (5RH00003) Wireless Mouse

Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5RH00003) Lil Gem of a mouse

Aug 22, 2012 (Updated Aug 27, 2012)

Pros:Small and easy use, nano transceiver

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: This is a perfect sized mobile mouse and the super small transceiver makes transporting my laptop a snap. I recommend it to everyone.

I recently purchased a small 13” laptop Dell laptop so I can use it when I am away from the house. I have often found myself having to wait for long periods of time for things like minor car repairs and doctors appointment. So in order to pass the time I thought it would be a great idea to have a small portable computer that I could use for games or catching up on my writing.

It was fine for a little while, but I got tired of using the trackpad on the laptop and I just had to find something else. One day I was online and I came across this cordless mouse and it looked like it would be perfect for what I needed it to do. The mouse I found was the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500. After looking around for the best deal, I decided to purchase one and I am very happy that I did.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500

Over the many years I have used a wide variety of mice from several different manufactures, but I seem to find myself going back to Microsoft brand lately. When I find a brand I trust I tend to be very brand loyal and this is what keeps me going with Microsoft.

There were three things I was considering when it came time to find the right mouse to go along with my laptop; 1) Wireless connectivity, 2) size and 3) operate on most any surface.

The Mobile Mouse 3500 is a great little mouse and I have been using it frequently since I first bought it. One of the biggest issues I have had with optical mice is that the tracking ability is very unreliable unless you have a perfect surface for the mouse to move across.

Microsoft took care of that issue by using Blue Track Technology; this basically is a hybrid system featuring the best of both optical and laser tracking. I have been able to use this mouse just about everywhere I have gone without having to worry about it not working.

Microsoft hit a homerun in my opinion by including a nano wireless receiver instead of one of those large receivers I have used with other models. The nano size receiver looks a lot like a chicklet (for those who can remember). With its tiny size you just simply plug in and leave it, no need to ever take it out. Another benefit is that it is plug and play which does not require any software to be loaded from a CD.

Though it does not come with any included software, you can go to Microsoft’s website and download the latest Intellipoint software. This software will allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the mouse as well as some other things.

The last thing I was looking for was a small mouse that I could easily store in small bag along with the laptop. Again, the 3500 filled the bill perfectly. I don’t have really large hands so its smallish size 3.75” x 2.25” fits in the palm of my hand quite well.

I am able to manipulate the two buttons and the scroll wheel with relative ease. I have never been one that took a liking to the five button mice, so the fact that it does not have the two back buttons did not bother me at all.

Battery Life

As with any cordless device the battery life of the Microsoft 3500 mouse is of the utmost importance, you don’t want to be in the middle of something important and have the battery just all of a sudden stop working. That’s why Microsoft includes a battery life indicator on the top of the mouse which will begin flashing when the battery starts running low.  Microsoft claims that the single “AA” battery (included in the package) should last 8 months. Well, I have not had it for that long, so I cannot say for certain, but I have been using mine for a month and no sign of the light flashing yet.

My Final Thoughts

I am so glad I found this little gem and purchased it. I could not be happier with how it has worked for me over this past month. If I had to pick out one feature that would be my favorite it would have to be the nano transceiver. I have had cordless devices that have used the larger transceivers and I lost count on how many I damaged because they stuck out so far from the computer. This one is so small I definitely forget that it is even plugged into the USB port.

That works out great so when I pack up my laptop to carry out or carry it back in after using it I don’t have to take it out to keep it safe.

With that said there are many other features that are great about the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500. The overall size it lends itself to be a great choice in a mouse for a laptop. It is not too small to fit in my hand and I can still use the buttons and scroll wheel fine.

So if you are in the market for a new mouse to pair with a laptop then look no further than this.

Microsoft 2000 3-button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse - 36d-00003

Microsoft 2000 3-button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse - 36d-00003

Microsoft 2000 3-Button Wireless Notebook Optical Scroll Mouse - Sterling Gray Wireless freedom in a stylish design!This 36D-00003 will allow you to w...

Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Wireless Touch Mouse Sangria Red

Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Wireless Touch Mouse Sangria Red

Microsoft Explorer Touch Mouse U5K-00003, Sangria Red Manufacturer Part # U5K-00003 Flick your own way. Explore the touch strip with unique horizontal...

Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Touch Wireless Bluetrack Mouse W/nano Transceiver

Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Touch Wireless Bluetrack Mouse W/nano Transceiver

Microsoft U5K-00003 Explorer Touch Wireless BlueTrack Mouse w/Nano Transceiver This Microsoft Explorer Touch Mouse U5K-00003 features revolutionary Mi...
Microsoft Limited Edition Red U5k-00003 Wireless Explorer Touch Mouse Brand

Microsoft Limited Edition Red U5k-00003 Wireless Explorer Touch Mouse Brand

!!! Promotion !!! Free shipping !!! Microsoft Limited Edition Red Wireless Explorer Touch Mouse Manufacture Part# U5K-00003 Condiction:Brand New in se...

Microsoft Mouse Wireless Bluetooth Black H3s-00003

Microsoft Mouse Wireless Bluetooth Black H3s-00003

Eparts and More Quality Technology Products for Less Home Shipping Policy Payment Policy Return Policy About Us Contact Us STORE CATEGORIES HELPFUL LI...

Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse - 6PL-00003

Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse - 6PL-00003

Four-Way Touch Scrolling Pad/ Bluetooth Connectivity/ BlueTrack Technology/ Easy-To-Hold Side Grips/ Contoured Shape/ Blue Finish
Abt Electronics

Microsoft(R) Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500, Gray

Microsoft(R) Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500, Gray

BlueTrack Technology allows tracking on many surfaces Advanced optical technology allows use on more surfaces than either an optical or laser mouse. W...
Office Depot

Sealed Genuine Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Wireless Touch Mouse Sangria Red

Sealed Genuine Microsoft U5k-00003 Explorer Wireless Touch Mouse Sangria Red

Brand New Sealed Box From the Manufacturer Microsoft Explorer Touch Mouse Limited Edition - Sangria Red One-touch scrolling Scroll vertically AND hori...