-58%
Minority Report (DVD, 2003) Reviews

Minority Report (DVD, 2003)

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com
+$2.99 shipping Family Video

Tom Cruise redeems his top gun status in Minority Report

Jun 25, 2002 (Updated Jan 19, 2003)

Pros:Tom Cruise (duh). The movie's a real thinker and surprisingly funny, too.

Cons:On your first viewing, that last half hour is going to try your patience.

The Bottom Line: Bottom line is, Minority Report is one of those movies you knew all along it was going to be spectacular. And it is. It's already #101 on IMDb.

It's hard enough to find serious thought-provoking movies nowadays. It seems we are just coming out of a stage where 90% of the movies out were about having sex, driving fast, war, fighting or just plain old gratuitous whooping of ass. And if you want a plain old good vs. evil battle, well even George Lucas isn't doing that anymore!

Movies have become psychology professors of the 21st century. Minority Report is just one of many examples of how they succeed at doing this.

First off, we got some serious grade A scriptwriting going on here. I found that the dialogue often said exactly what I was thinking or hoping to hear. In fact, it covers so much ground with regards to the future that you might not even think about it that much later, 'cause it's all already been said! Only on a second viewing when you're not preoccupied analyzing the plot can you truly appreciate the great dialogue, because there are times it goes by very fast.

John Anderton (not Anderson) hails from the year 2054, assuming the role of a precop. Incase you haven't heard already, the precops have the ability to intercept murders before they are committed. They have these three people called "precogs" (short for "precognitives", and they DO have a story) who can see murders in the future and relay the images they see to the precops. The precops can then take the appropriate measures to prevent it. The twist is that the cops have to determine where the murder takes place by using what they can see in the background. Seriously.

Only problem is, the government is sending in an agent to supervise what's going on, and wonder of wonders, that's right around the time that John Anderton stops cold in his tracks in the middle of investigating a future murder. Why? Because HE is the future killer.

So the movie's introductory progression is obvious: Show an example of how this is all done, take a break to get to know the characters, throw the Fed guy in there. Bring in the future prediction of John Anderton committing the murder (that shot of Tom Cruise with the gun and the natural smile at the corners of his mouth just looks SO cool). The big chase. After that, the plot goes all labyrinthian, leading you through more twists than any pretzel ever imagined. The first time, it seems to go on forever. You'll be thinking, "Just come out with it already!" The second time, again without the preoccupation of figuring out what's happening, you get a good look at the brilliance of Minority Report.

The acting was terrific on all counts. Tom Cruise went through John's role like a hot knife through butter. Something about his face and that role that just goes together. Colin Farrell as the Federal agent is much more soft-faced than Cruise but he does his job. He is smart not to "overdo" this role because he could've easily messed it up. A lot of actors would have. Samantha Morton is impeccable as Agatha, the female precognitive and the most intuitive character of all. Reminds me of Powder. (Not Susan Powter!) Her quiet innocence and intense bewilderment grows into a climactic "coming out" in the final hour. And I'm not talking about coming out of the closet, either.

The special effects were just super. Since they are integrated into an otherwise schlocky home-video sort of look, they come across as all the more authentic. Most of the special effects are burned up in the first half, but special effects are not what will sell this movie anyway. That's a job for good old-fashioned word-of-mouth.

I think the thing that surprised me the most about Minority Report was the comedy. Some parts of this movie are drop dead hilarious! Sometimes, it's a minor exchange of words, such as...

Tom Cruise: (sarcastically) So I'm just going to walk in, get the data and walk out.

Old Woman: Actually you'll probably run out, but yeah.

Other times, it's something deliberately stupid like Tom Cruise in hot pursuit of a pair of human eyeballs rolling down the hall. Then there's the unforgettable spiders scene, with the couple fighting and the guy taking a dump. That's all I'm saying.

So what is the Minority Report?

I won't tell you what it is, but I'll tell you what it's not. And if you are anything like me, you probably thought the same thing I did. I figured the "minority report" would be something simple like Tom Cruise's report that he didn't do it. And of course, he would be in the minority since the precogs predicted that he would do it. That's not the minority report. So you want to know what it is? Well then go find out already!

Superstar Tom Cruise gives his most potent action performance (David Ansen, Newsweek) in director Steven Spielberg's Minority Report.
The science-fiction thriller MINORITY REPORT, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, is based on a short story by renowned writer Phili...

The science-fiction thriller MINORITY REPORT directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise is based on a short story by renowned writer Philip ...
Family Video