Motorola S10-HD Black/Red Neckband Headsets Reviews

Motorola S10-HD Black/Red Neckband Headsets

Light weight and decent sound in an odd fitting package

Aug 10, 2012

Pros:Light weight.  Decent sound.  Great Bluetooth range. Good battery life.

Cons:Slighty awkward controls.  Designed for someone with a small head.

The Bottom Line: If the S10's fit your head, they're not a bad choice for a stylish decent sounding Bluetooth headset.  If they don't fit?  Give them a pass.

Background: I work in a situation where I'm often on the phone using Cell, or Skype, or other internet voice systems.  A lightweight headset what lets me listen to music when I'm not on a call is a boon.  I use these with a cell phone, a Nexus 7 tablet, and my laptop.

Out of the box:  I purchased the S10's at Costco for about $70, without a coupon.  The packaging is a couple of plastic pockets holding the headphones, extra ear pieces, charger, manual, and storage bag, in a cardboard frame.  No shrink wrap, or plastic welding, requiring scissors or a knife involved.

The manual is adequate and written in an amusingly friendly style.  At least in English.  There are about 10 languages included.  Also in the package is a wall charger with a permanently afixed cord and a USB micro connector on the end.  This charger can also charge any other device you have that takes that connector, such as a Nook or Nexus Tablet.  However, an actual USB cable with a socket style charger would have been nicer.

Also included are two additional sets of silocone ear plugs, which give more variety for fitting your ears.  They are easy to swap in and out, so you can try them all to get a good fit.

The Headphones:  These headphones have a distinct "horseshoe" shape that loops over the top of your ears to put the earbuds in place, with the battery section 'floating' at the back of your neck.  It actually looks pretty cool and is easy to put on and take off.

The section at the back of your neck is covered in springy rubber, as is the area that hooks over your ears.  The rubber covered section on your right ear has embeded buttons for Play/Pause, Next, Previous to control your music.  The left side has Volume up, Volume down, and a "phone" button that is used to answer calls.

The power switch and a red/blue colored LED to indicate connection, etc., is mounted at the back.  As is the covered port for the Micro USB charging socket.

The Good: Sound quality is decent for music and very good for calls, and the outgoing sound quality is very good.  You can speak at a normal conversational volume and be heard clearly.

While heavier than ear buds, these headphones are light weight and get solid time out of their (not user replacable) batteries.  Claimed is 10 days standby, 8 hours of talk time / music time.  I've seen a solid 8 hours in my own use.

The silicone ear bud things are easy to swap and comfortable, so you can get a decent fit which also improves sound quality.

Pairing has been easy with my tablet, phone, and computer.

Bluetooth range has been over 50 feet when paired to my tablet with no loss of audio quality.

The Bad: I wish there was no bad to report, but there are a few issues.  1st, the shape doesn't allow quite enough flexibility to be really comfortable if your head is bigger than their, apparently small, design size.  These things fit me ok, but it's marginal for my XL (according to my motorcycle helmet size) head.

The controlls on the ear pieces are a little difficult to use.  You kind of have to hold the earpiece while pushing the button.  Though, to be fair, the buttons are easy to find and fairly easy to work.  It's just that they have enough resistance that you end up pushing hard enough to make the earpiece move.

The Bottom Line:  If you can try them on to see how they fit, and they do, in fact, fit your head, they're pretty decent.  Sound is not spectacular, but they are versatile, leight, have good battery life, and are great for phone calls.

NIB!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Contact Info: I am usually available to reply to emails Mon...

mouseover image to zoom. OEM Motorola S10-HD Bluetooth S10HD Stereo Wireless Headset For Apple iPhone 6, Plus What You will Get: Motorola S10-HD Bluet...
Original Motorola S10-HD S10 HD Black w/ Red Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sold New In Retail Package Include: - Motorola 89439N S10-HD Bluetooth Stereo...