Inexpensive No Frills -- Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker DW13

Mar 16, 2012

Pros:two reservoir windows, machine lid hinged at back, pause and serve, on/off light

Cons:no automatic “off” safety switch, carafe handle and cord storage could be better designed

The Bottom Line:

This Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker is not the perfect choice, but the price was right!

When our Gevalia coffee maker started misbehaving, I searched for an inexpensive machine without all the bells and whistles.  That is how I came to purchase this Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker (model DW13).

Description

This Mr. Coffee 12-cup machine has a Pause and Serve feature that allows a cup of coffee to be poured while the coffee is still brewing.  A lid on top of the machine lifts up, and a removable filter basket lifts out for easier cleanup.  Another nice feature is two large water reservoir windows (one on the left and one on the right) of the coffee maker.  A toggle switch goes from “on” to “off”, and a light indicates that the machine is on.  There is also cord storage.  This coffee maker comes with one glass carafe (aka decanter) that has markings for 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 cups.  A manual comes with the machine, and it is written in English and Spanish.

Our Experiences

I wasn’t pleased when the on/off switch on the Gevalia coffee maker decided to not work.  To add to the problem, I lifted the coffee maker and found the machine had dumped its water reservoir all over the counter.  Off I went to find a replacement.

A local department store sold an inexpensive 12-cup Mr. Coffee machine.  Our needs are basic when it comes to coffee makers.  We just want a machine that will heat the water, dropping it into a glass carafe.  No alarms, timers, clocks, extra warming plates, special brewing features or grinder are needed.  We also didn’t want to spend a fortune on a new machine.

This Mr. Coffee DW13 meets all our needs.  I also like that the machine has a lower profile than the Gevalia coffee maker.  It fits better on the counter just in front of the cabinets above it.  A bonus is that the black color goes well with our other kitchen appliances.  I’m glad I don’t have to store the cord, though.  I find it difficult to reach into the cord storage area to pull it out.  We plug the machine in, and when I unplug it at night as a safety precaution, I leave the cord on the counter.  It’s only going to be plugged in again the morning (no need to store the cord).

The machine works great.  An excellent feature is that there are large vertical water reservoir windows on both sides of the coffee maker.  Now it doesn’t matter which direction the machine sits in since the windows allow visibility from either side.  I also like the lid that lifts upright from the top of the machine, and the lid is hinged at the back.  This makes the interior of the machine easy to view.  The area where the water is poured is larger than the Gevalia maker, too.  It is much easier to pour water from the Brita water pitcher into the machine without spilling it.  I’ve yet to make a mess.

During the brewing process, the coffee maker does make some interesting noises.  At the end, it huffs and puffs quite a bit with a few noisy gurgling sounds.  The liquid is hot, though, and the warming plate keeps it that way.

I do wish the coffee maker had an automatic off switch for safety.  My other suggestion for the manufacturer is the plastic carafe handle.  I have large hands, yet this handle is uncomfortable to grip.  It’s definitely not ergonomic for me.

When cleaning the coffee maker, unplug it and allow it to cool.  Before first use, run a water cycle through the machine.  Daily cleaning requirements are to remove the filter basket and carafe and wash them with mild liquid soap and hot water.  It is not recommended to use abrasive cleaners or anything that might scratch the equipment.  The manufacturer recommends using Mr. Coffee cleaner or white vinegar o remove calcium deposits and deposited minerals.  Instructions are included in the manual that comes with the machine.

Purchasing

I bought this coffee maker at Target for $16.89.  The manufacturer sells this same machine for $24.99.

A replacement carafe is available from the manufacturer for $15.99 (part PLD-12-2).

Summary

This Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker is working well.  We don’t need a lot of fancy features in a coffee maker, so this inexpensive solution suits us just fine.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Maker

Bunn VPR 12-Cup Pourover Coffee Brewer with 2 Warmers

Braun 10-Cup Coffeemaker

Keurig B50 Gourmet Single Cup Brewer

Braun Coffee Grinder (I use it for flax seed)

SodaStream Jet Soda-Making Starter Kit

Gevalia.com (coffee & tea delivery service)