Greatest Hits by Styx

Tonight's The Night We'll Make History

Jun 16, 2005 (Updated Jun 16, 2005)

Pros:Wonderful masterpiece, with 16 well earned tracks

Cons:Why does it have to end? Don't Let It End!

The Bottom Line: I'd purchase this album even if it would cost 5 times this much!

Not too long ago, I was listening to the radio, and then I heard a Massive series of loud orchestratal like music. I checked the radio dial. No, not a classical station, only the classic rock radio. Then I heard a voice, "Welcome to the Grand Illusion!"

Immediatly, I was in awe of the song. The music (music, not boom boom, like a lot of today's music), the lyrics, everything I could relate to. The announcer revealed it to be Styx, the Grand Illusion. I was astonished. It was then that I had to get the song, so I eventually purchased The Styx Greatest Hits.

I was not disappointed. In addition to that song, there were fifteen others. Never before has 75 minutes passed so fast. I shall review all of these songs, one by one.

BOOKLET:

The booklet of this is very interesting. A history and pictures of the band throughout the years is included.

TRACK 1: LADY '95

The beginning of the Hits. This was originally done for STYX II (go figure), their sophomore album on Wooden Nickel Records. With help from the radio, this song became a signature staple for Styx, and was redone for the greatest hits.

Lyric Sample:

'Cause you're my lady of the morning
Love shines in your eyes
Sparkling, clear, and lovely
You're my lady.

If this isn't a love ballad, I don't know what is. 10/10

TRACK 2: THE BEST OF TIMES

Almost everyone I know can relate to this song, a statement about how despite all of the problems in this world, how everyone seems to get your day, you still have hope, told by Denis DeYoung as a woman who represents it. Whenever I am down, I turn this song on. From Paradise Theater, their 10th album in 1981.

Lyric Sample:

The best of times are when I'm alone with you
Some rain some shine, we'll make this a world for two
Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime
We'll take the best, forget the rest
And someday we'll find these are the best of times
These are the best of times

Another Classic 10/10

TRACK 3: LORELEI

First, I challenge anyone to spell this song without looking it up. Although not the best of the songs, this song can be relaxing and enjoyable. A third classic love song, and a short one at that. From Equinox, a 1975 album, their 5th.

Lyric Sample

The way she moves, ooh-ooh
I gotta say
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever

A nice love song, and I like it 7.5/10

TRACK 4: TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS

Something we'd all like to have, but as for me, I don't have any of. Starting out with what I believe is a synthesizer beat, Tommy Shaw takes the vocal lead, and does not fail to please, as he talks about how the Time is ticking away at his calmness.

Well, I'm a jet fuel genius - I can solve the world's problems
Without even trying
I have dozens of friends and the fun never ends
That is, as long as I'm buying
Is it any wonder I'm not the president
(He's not the president)
Is it any wonder I'm null and void?
Is it any wonder I've got

From Paradise Theater (1981). That's the thing with time, when you have too much of it, you can drive yourself crazy 9/10

TRACK 5: BABE

We're back to a love song, the fourth song on this disk. I have a feeling after hearing the song and reading the lyrics, It's about a man who has to go to Vietnam, or war, and has to leave his love behind. But when he's in Dire problems and needs some courage, all he has to do is think of his woman and he's all right. This is from the album Cornerstone, their 9th, from 1979.

Babe, I'm leaving, I must be on my way
The time is drawing near
My train is going, I see it in your eyes
The love, the need, your tears
But I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
Please believe me, my heart is in your hands
And I'll be missing you.

These lyrics seem to prove my point, don't they? 10/10

TRACK 6: FOOLING YOURSELF (THE ANGRY YOUNG MAN)

A powerful, sensational opening, one of the best openings on record, to a song that everyone could use, a lyrical kick in the keyster! Everyone of us feels down sometime, and need someone to talk to. Some see counselors, some get a Dr. Phil like speech, and this song sounds like something Dr. Phil would sing, if he sang. This is from their masterpiece, The Grand Illusion, their lucky 7th album from 1977.

Lyric Sample:

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

A song to do you well. 10/10

SONG 7: SHOW ME THE WAY

The year was 1990. After the problems following Kilroy Was Here, Denis DeYoung left the band, and it looked like the band was done for. However, he would later return and release this power ballad. This song puts most of today's ballads to shame. From their 12th album, Edge of The Century (1990)

Lyric Sample:

And as I slowly drift to sleep, for a moment dreams are sacred
I close my eyes and know there's peace in a world so filled with hatred
That I wake up each morning and turn on the news to find we've so far to go
And I keep on hoping for a sign, so afraid that I just won't know

Show me the way, Show me the way
Take me tonight to the mountain
And wash my confusion away

A true piece of work, only lacking some instrumentals, so 8/10

SONG 8: RENEGADE

We now go back, way back to 1978, their follow up, their 8th album, appropriatly titled, Pieces of Eight. In this song, we start out with a slow opening, which leads to a powerful middle, then a just as powerful ending. This song, i surmise, is about a man on the Run from what he is doing. The band would greatly improve on their Kilroy Was Here for a concept album, but that is later.

Lyric Sample:

Oh mamma I've been years on the lamb
And had a high price on my head
Lawman said get him dead or alive
Now it's for sure he'll see me dead
Dear mamma I can hear you crying
You're so scared and all alone
Hangman is coming down from the gallows
And I don't have very long

Some Fantastic lyrics, with a rocking edge 9/10

SONG 9: COME SAIL AWAY

We now get to my personal favorite song on this album. A song about peace, and about hope, from a man on the edge and how he "sails" away to peace. From The Grand Illusion (1977) comes this classic that was later done by Eric Cartman of South Park.

Lyric Sample:

I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
Some happy, some sad
I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had
We live happily forever, so the story goes
But somehow we missed out on that pot of gold
But we’ll try best that we can to carry on

These lyrics are reflections of life, reflections of hope.
11/10

SONG 10: BLUE COLLAR MAN (LONG NIGHTS)

Another classic song, a song that I, who was unemployed for over a year recently, and anyone who was, or is, unemployed can relate to. A song in which you'd do anything to get a job at a place, for practically nothing.

Make me an offer that I can't refuse
Make me respectable, man
This is my last time in the unemployment line
So like it or not I'll take those

Long nights, impossible odds
Keeping my back to the wall
If it takes all that to be just what I am
I'm gonna be a blue collar man

With a massive loud opening, and Tommy Shaw's lyrics, this song earns a 10/10

SONG 11: THE GRAND ILLUSION

The CLASSIC song that I heard, and I said above. This song tells of the illusion of race, and how we should never judge by the color, nor weight, and be satisfied with ourselves. The only song that I can think of that comes close to the strength of this song is the Garth Brooks We Shall Be Free. This is the title track of The Grand Illusion, a masterpiece from 1977.

Lyric Sample:

But don't be fooled by the radio
The TV or the magazines
They show you photographs of how your life should be
But they're just someone else's fantasy
So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because you never win the game
Just remember that it's a Grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same.
We're all the same...

If you are upset at yourself, listen to this song and be amazed. 11/10

SONG 12: CRYSTAL BALL

One of the weaker songs on this masterpiece of an album, this song nonetheless speaks truth; We do not possess Crystal Balls and we must make our own destinies by hard work, yet we all desire to learn the future. Styx had released five albums, all to what seemed no avail, but would tour for at least 200 dates to earn success. The title track to Their 6th Album, 1976's Crystal Ball

Lyric Sample:

Tell me, tell me where I'm going
I don't know where I've been
Tell me, tell me, won't you tell me
And then tell me again
My heart is breaking, my body's aching
And I don't know where to go
Tell me, tell me, won't you tell me
I've just got to know

Crystal ball
There's so many things I need to know
Crystal ball
There's so many things I've got to know
Crystal ball

Although not nearly as strong as the above tracks, it is worth at least a few listens 8/10

SONG 13: SUITE MADAME BLUE

This would be lost in translation, the title at least, but hopefully not the message. When Styx was 4 years from their first Self Titled album, the Two Hundredth Anniversary of The Signing of The Declaration of Independence was signed. This song, with lyrics of unity, and how we traveled to the Moon, is a "suite" song, with a solo not to be missed.

Suite Madame Blue, gaze in your looking glass
You're not a child anymore
Suite Madame Blue, the future is all but past
Dressed in your jewels, you made your own rules
You conquered the world and more ..............heaven's door

A true patriotic song, a staple to the might of America 11/10

SONG 14: MISS AMERICA

The weakest song in melody, but a song with one heckuva message. Countless women try to compete for the Miss America competition, but where are they in another year? Long and forgotten. Fame is not worth the price that some women pay for beauty, some even starve themselves. Perhaps this song is a warning for women who are doing this; don't do it, for you'll perhaps be unknown in a year. Is it worth the price? From The Grand Illusion, 1977

Lyric Sample:

Well are you really who we think you are
Or does that smile seem to wear you down
This girl who you once were is screaming jump out
This dream that you must live - a disease for which there is no cure
This roller coaster ride you're on won't stop to let you off

Well aren't you Miss America
Don't you Miss America
Won't you Miss America
Our love

Miss America, Miss America
Miss America, Miss America

Well it's true just take a look - The cover sometimes makes the book
And the judges, do they ever ask to read between your lines
And in your cage at the human zoo, they all stop to look at you
Next year, what will you do when you have been forgotten

If the melody was good, this would be a classic, but it gets a 7/10

SONG 15: MR. ROBOTO

Domo Arigato, a phrase that is in Japanese, meaning Thank You Very Much. This is a synthesized to excess song, from an attempted musical called Kilroy Was Here. The album was supposed to be about how Techno music was ruling the world, and how there was only one robot with the rock music. There were no humans left. I fear that this is beyond entertainment, and hope that this does not happen, but it may one day. From Their 11th album, 1983's Kilroy Was Here

Lyric Sample:

I'm not a robot without emotions-I'm not what you see
I've come to help you with your problems, so we can be free
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour, forget what you know
I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control
Beyond my control-we all need control
I need control-we all need control

I am the modren man, who hides behind a mask
So no one else can see my true identity

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto, domo...domo

1983, one year behind 1984, if you catch my drift, 8/10

SONG 16: DON'T LET IT END

Ironic that the final song is called that, because I've been through over 70 minutes of pleasure, but it has to be ended and shall be with this final song. The song is from the 1983 Kilroy Was Here album, track number 3. This song is perhaps from a female robot who was in love? with Kilroy. Whatever Denis DeYoungs intentions, this song is a grand finale to this album

I'm telling you baby
I've made my mistakes
But I'll make you this promise
To do what it takes
I'll be there to protect you
And hold you tight
You've got my loving baby
Every single night

Don't let it end
I'm begging you
Don't let it end this way
Don't let it end
I'm begging you
Don't let it end this way

A finale well worth it 10/10

WHEW! I hope that you read my review, and I hope that you enjoyed it. I hope that you read my follow up reviews.

ConsantChange

Great Music to Play While: Getting ready to go out

Entertainment Weekly Greatest Hits Of 1975 Cd Styx Captain & Tennille Avb

Entertainment Weekly Greatest Hits Of 1975 Cd Styx Captain & Tennille Avb

Compilation producers: Rob Santos, Bruce Pollock.Digitally remastered by Elliott Federman (SAJE Sound, New York, New York).Entertainment Weekly: Great...

Greatest Hits

Features: ZZ TOP GREATEST HITS Greatest Hits Certified at 3 million units by the RIAA. (2/01)

Greatest Hits 2

Greatest Hits 2

Initial pressings of GREATEST HITS VOLUME 2 included a bonus CD.Personnel: Alan Jackson (vocals, guitar); Jimmy Buffett (vocals); Bruce Watkins, Green...