My Love Is Your Love CD Review

Feb 18, 2011

Pros:good r&b cd

Cons:three songs

The Bottom Line:

My Love Is Your Love is a good r&b cd.

My review
My Love Is Your Love
is Whitney Houston’s fourth studio cd (excluding soundtracks).  On this cd, she chose to take her music in an r&b direction.  She was more of a pop star before the release of this cd.  Was that a risk worth taking?  The answer to that question is yes.  The change was a good one.  She proved that she was able to do both genres of music on this cd.  The songs were a great fit.  She doesn’t sing these songs as powerfully as she did on previous cds, but her voice is still impressive.  Her voice goes well the new sound.

On this cd, she sings about heartbreak, love, inspiration, etc.  She has a blend of uptempo songs, midtempo songs, and ballads.  She worked with her long time writer/producer Babyface on this cd.  She also worked with Diane Warren, Rodney Jerkins, David Foster, Wyclef Jean, Daryl Simmons, Mariah Carey, Kelly Price, Faith Evans, Missy Elliott, and Lauryn Hill.

The breakdown
It’s Not Right But It’s Okay was written by Rodney Jerkins, Fred Jerkins III, LaShawn Daniels, I. Philips, and Toni Estes.  This is an uptempo song about heartbreak.  This song started the trend of her heartbreak songs on this cd.  It sounds pretty personal.  There were a lot of rumors about her marriage to Bobby Brown being in trouble at the time this cd was released.  It could have been a peak into her marriage.  The song has a catchy and rhythmic beat, but her voice doesn’t really flow with it.  Her vocals are slower than the pace of the music.  It’s too bad that her vocals and the music weren’t balanced better because it is a really good song.  She really seems into the lyrics of the song.

Heartbreak Hotel was written by C. Schack, K. Karlin, and T. Savage.  This song features Faith Evans and Kelly Price.  This is a midtempo song about heartbreak.  Unlike It’s Not Right But It’s Okay, her voice flows with the music.  The arrangement on this song was pretty good.  Whitney Houston, Faith Evans, and Kelly Price sang well together.  Faith Evans and Kelly Price were able to keep up with Whitney Houston.  This sounds like another personal song for Whitney Houston.  I noticed that she didn’t hold any notes in the song.  I also noticed that she’s not in this song as much as Faith Evans and Kelly Price.  Whitney Houston becomes a guest in her own song.  With that said, I really liked this song.  It had the perfect midtempo beat and the ladies’ vocals were on point.

My Love Is Your Love was written by Wyclef Jean and Jerry Duplessis.  This is a midtempo song with a reggae beat that is most likely to her daughter Bobbi Kris or to Bobby Brown.  Whitney Houston’s daughter can be heard in the song.  This is the first time that Whitney Houston sang a song with a reggae beat.  It was a different sound for her, but a good one.  The song has a thumping beat to it, which was catchy.  Whitney Houston’s voice really flows with the beat.

When You Believe was written by S. Schwartz.  This song features Mariah Carey.  This is an inspirational ballad.  This song was originally done for the Prince of Egypt soundtrack.  Babyface produced the song and wrote about 15% of the song so it’s not like Michelle Pfeiffer’s version on the soundtrack.  What’s significant about this song is that the two power voices were up against each other.  They sound fantastic together.  I never thought I would see the day when they would record a song together.  I loved it.  I haven’t heard the other version, but I don’t need to hear it since it’s not like this one.

If I Told You That was written by Rodney Jerkins, Fred Jerkins III, LaShawn Daniels, and Toni Estes.  This is an uptempo song about love.  This song has better vocal arrangements than It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.  This track is so catchy.  It is reminiscent of her old songs.  The drums really make this song for me.  Her vocals are really good on this track.  I have no complaints about this track.

In My Business was written by Missy Elliott, Kelvin Bradshaw, and Lloyd Turner.  This is a midtempo song about people staying out of her business.  This song features Missy Elliott.  I wasn’t initially impressed with this song when I first heard it.  I had to listen to it a few times before I grew to like it.  This song is not really her style, but she made it work.  I do think it’s overproduced because the vocals are drowned out by the music.  She is also hard to understand in this song.  She doesn’t enunciate as much on this song as she does on other tracks.

I Learned From The Best was written by Diane Warren.  This is a power ballad about heartbreak.  This song sounds really personal.  She tore this song up in a good way.  This is classic Whitney Houston.  The power vocals Whitney Houston had were back in this track.  She belts the hook and I really liked that.  This is one of my favorite tracks on this cd.  I have no complaints about this song.

Oh Yes was written by Missy Elliott, Kelving Bradshaw, and Lloyd Turner.  This is a ballad about love.  This was a better fit for her voice than In My Business.  The writing team redeemed themselves from In My Business.  Her vocals can be heard easier on this song.  I liked this song instantly and I didn’t need to hear multiple times to appreciate it.

Get It Back was written by Rodney Jerkins, Fred Jerkins III, LaShawn Daniels, and Toni Estes.  This song is an uptempo track about trying to win back a love she lost.  I preferred the other songs this writing team did to this one.  This song is not Whitney Houston’s style at all.  The song is okay.  Her vocals and the beat help the song.  I listen to it, but it is not one of my favorite songs on the cd.

Until You Come Back was written by Babyface and Daryl Simmons.  This is a ballad about a love coming back to her.  This is another power ballad.  This track is classic Whitney Houston just like I Learned From The Best.  Babyface and Daryl Simmons brought out the best in Whitney Houston.  I wish there were more songs like this on the cd.  I don’t have any complaints.

I Bow Out was written by Diane Warren.  This is a midtempo song about breaking up with a love.  Diane Warren used a play on words by comparing love to being on stage.  It was creative.  It’s similar to Madonna and Rihanna’s versions of Take A Bow.  I like the way she sings the song.  She brings some of her power vocals to this song.  I like the beat to this song.  It’s not too fast or slow.  The music combines Babyface and Rodney Jerkins’ styles and I loved it.

You’ll Never Stand Alone was written by Diane Warren.  This is an inspirational ballad.  It combines Diane Warren’s lyrics with Babyface’s music and production.  It was a beautiful combination with Whitney Houston’s vocals.  This was one of the songs where she holds a note.  That’s good because she didn’t do that much on the cd.  This song would have been the perfect way to end the cd.

Bonus track:
I Was Made To Love Him was written by Stevie Wonder.  This is a remake of Stevie Wonder’s I Was Made To Love Her.  Lauryn Hill produced this version and can be heard in the background.  I had to listen to this song a few times before I liked it.  This version is a little faster than the original.  I prefer Stevie Wonder’s version to this one.  I usually like her versions of remakes better than the originals, but that wasn’t the case this time.  I do like the beat and the ad libs that she did on this version.  I don’t like how she rushed the title of the song.  Stevie Wonder didn’t sing it as fast as she did.  I guess there was a reason why this was a bonus track.  I don’t think this song should have come after Until You Come Back.  It should have been before it.

Favorite/Least Favorite songs
My favorite songs are When You Believe, If I Told You That, I Learned From The Best, Until You Come Back, I Bow Out, You’ll Never Stand Alone.  My least favorite songs are In My Business, Get It Back, and I Was Made To Love Him.

Track listing
You’ll Never Stand Alone
Bonus track:
I Was Made To Love Him

In conclusion
Whitney Houston’s My Love Is Your Love is a nice change of pace for her.  She successfully made the transition from pop star to r&b star as well.  There may have been a few bad apples in the bunch, but it was still a good r&b cd.  I recommend it.

My rating
I give Whitney Houston’s My Love Is Your Love four stars because of her voice and the majority of the songs.  It loses a star for three songs that weren’t as good as the others.