Forgot why Disturbed is so loved? This should help you Remember

Feb 23, 2006 (Updated Feb 23, 2006)

Pros:Sonic beauty

Cons:Casual fans don't really need it

The Bottom Line: Sensation washes over me, I can't describe it. Pain I felt so long ago, I don't remember...

After achieving much success with their refreshingly energetic debut The Sickness, Chicago-based rockers Disturbed knew that their sophomore album could make or break them. Their eager fans were like starved lions, hungry for new material. Little did we all know that we'd be getting so much more the second time around: With 2002's Believe, Disturbed managed to mature, implementing many more rich melodies into their hard-groove-laden sound while still maintaining the ability to create that feverish, maniacal atmosphere that made them oh-so-appealing to begin with.

After Believe's first single "Prayer" succeeded in reaching intrigued ears that were previously virgin to all that is Disturbed and raised the eyebrows of those who'd previously snubbed the band, a crucial follow-up hit came in the form of "Remember". This song's untouchable intensity and tight musicianship propelled Disturbed to an entirely new level of excellence. It became quite clear to rock and metal critics that this band was certainly no gimmick.

I happened to stumble upon the Remember single in Sam Goody while I was visiting my cousins in Houston. It was $10, which may seem a bit outlandish for only three tracks, but I don't think I would have been able to look myself in the mirror had I not scooped this fun rarity up. The single contains the following three tracks: "Remember" (I realize this comes as an enormous shock), a live version of "Remember", and a live version of "Rise".

"Remember" isn't particularly slow, nor is it extremely fast, but it has a powerful, hammering rhythm that perfectly accentuates Disturbed vocalist David Draiman's emotional cries. Through all the quickly executed tempo changes, everything still manages to flow beautifully, creating a soaring wall of sound that still manages to tide me over to this day. Drummer Mike Wengren cooks up a flurry of entrancing rhythms that serve as the perfect backdrop for this gorgeous song.

The live rendition of "Remember" is of equal excellence. Considering that David gets quite physically "into" his performances, the fact that he hits every single note with the greatest of ease becomes even easier to appreciate. The song's haunting, resonant chorus seems to take on an entirely new meaning when echoed by all of the passionate fans.

"Rise", a speedier number also taken from Believe, works exceptionally well in concert. This comes as no surprise, considering that Dan Donegan's guitar riffs here are a huge adrenaline rush, and that much of the song's subject matter ("I command you to rise!") deals with the live music experience. David's voice is quite a bit choppier in this song, and his crisply enunciated rasps inject the track's hostile, mosh-pit-initiating verses with an overwhelming amount of pure sonic energy.

Remember is a peachy little gem of a single, but I honestly find it rather difficult to recommend it to anyone who doesn't consider themself a hardcore fan of Disturbed. This single is pretty difficult to find, and I can't picture casual fans of Draiman & Co. wanting to cough up $10 for a three-track single, especially since one of those tracks is in its original form. None of this is to say that I won't find much to love about this item -- listening to the live tracks is always a treat, because it becomes so easy to relive Disturbed concerts then. Dearest Disturbed maniacs, please hear me when I say that this single is worth purchasing for that reason alone.

The Sickness - Believe - Ten Thousand Fists