Back to the Future 2

Roads? Where We're Going We Don't Need Any Roads.

Sep 12, 2000

Pros:A fitting sequel to a great movie

Cons:None

I figured since I wrote a review on Back to the Future, I should do one on the sequel as well. Let's just hope I can give it the justice it deserves.

I saw Back to the Future 2 (from here on known as BTTF 2) in 1989 the day it was released. I remember it well. It was in November, and I had spent the entire week preparing for it by watching numerous specials on tv, and reading previews in the papers. You see, BTTF 2 was one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of all time. At the end of the original, we were hit across the face with a "To Be Continued" message. Well okay, no problem part 2 will be out the following year. Wrong. BTTF was released in 1984, which means it took Universal 5 long years to continue the McFly saga. It was well worth the wait though, let me tell you.

I remember going straight to the theater right after school to see it. I was in 5th grade at the time, and I went with one of my best friends. We barely made it in time to see the opening credits, but I have got to tell you I got chills up and down my spine when I saw the words "Back to the Future Part II" up on the screen.

The plot went like this:

Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) returns to 1985 after saving his parents marriage in 1955. His girlfriend (Elisabeth Shue) shows up and they're about to kiss when Emmett L. "Doc" Brown (Christopher Lloyd) shows up in a newly re-designed time machine. Marty is confused as to why Doc has shown up and Doc explains to him that his kids are in danger in the future. So the three of them board the time machine and prepare to go to the future. At which point Marty says the following:

"Doc, you better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88."
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need any roads." Doc replies.

The time machine then hovers off the ground and blasts into the sky and disappears in a trail of fire. Of course before this happened, Biff Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson) came outside and witnessed the whole thing.

"A flying Delorean?"
"What the hell is going on here?"

Anyhow, Doc travels back to the year 2015, and he tells Marty that his son Marty Jr. (also played by Michael J. Fox) has gotten arrested for helping Griff Tannen (also played by Thomas F. Wilson), Biff's grandson, commit a robbery. Then his daughter Marlene (Fox again) is arrested for attempting to break him out. Doc has to put Jennifer (Marty's girlfriend) to sleep when she asks too many questions about the future.

So Doc tells Marty his job is to prevent Griff from talking Marty Jr. into committing the robbery. He does this by impersonating his son.

He eventually declines Griff's offer to commit the crime, but is enticed into a brawl after Griff calls him a chicken. A chase ensues, much like the one in the original movie. After the chase, Griff and his gang are arrested by the police and Marty gets away cleanly.

Doc notices that this has changed history by looking at the newspaper. The headline had previously stated that Marty Jr. was jailed, but it now read that Griff had been put behind bars. So Doc was satisfied and him and Marty were about to leave for 1985.

Doc then finds the sports almanac book that Marty had purchased a few minutes before, and questions him about it. Marty explains to Doc that he wants to bring it back to 1985 and "place a few bets."

Doc yells at him for the idea, and throws the book into a nearby trash can. Before they can leave though, they see the police examining a sleeping Jennifer. After finding out who she is through her thumb print, they assume she is the Jennifer of 2015 and take her back to her house. So Doc tells Marty they have to go after her.

Of course a 80 something year old Biff overheard the entire conversation, and grabs the book from the trash.

So Marty and Doc eventually rescue Jennifer, but not before she sees the 2015 Marty and runs into her 2015 older self.

After returning to 1985, Marty discovers that his house isn't his anymore, and the whole town is full of gangs and drugs and homeless people.

Marty finds out that Biff had somehow married his mother and killed his father. His mother tells him that his dad is buried at the cemetery in town and Marty goes there to investigate.

He finds his father's grave, and he begins to question how all this can be happening. Doc appears and explains to him that Biff had stolen the time machine and taken the sports almanac back to 1955 where he had given it to himself, and used it to become wealthy.

It turns out that Biff chose November 12, 1955. This was the same day Marty went back to 1985 from the original BTTF. So Marty has to get the book back from young Biff after old Biff gives the book to him.

He ends up finally doing just that, but it involves a bunch of funny scenes. I won't spoil it for those few people that haven't seen this great movie.

In the end, Marty burns the almanac, and restores the future to normal. The time machine gets struck by lightning with Doc in it, and he gets sent back to 1885.

The movie ended with a "To Be Concluded" and I was immediately making plans for 5 years later to see BTTF 3. I was then happy to see a preview for BTTF 3 right after BTTF 2 ended.

That's about it for this review. I really enjoyed this movie, as I have the entire trilogy. In my eyes, BTTF 3 is the best of the three. Perhaps I may write a review on that someday. Until then, I hope you liked this one. It brought back some fond memories for me. I'll always remember Michael J. Fox for his brilliant portrayal of Marty McFly. He is my favorite actor, and he is one of the most talented ever to grace the big screen. There was many a time when I dreamed of time travel. Thanks Mr. Fox for giving me the chance to dream.

Back to the Future Car Open Charcoal T-Shirt

Back to the Future Car Open Charcoal T-Shirt

Blast your way back into the future with this awesome Back to the Future Car Open Black T-Shirt! Featuring the iconic Back to the Future logo and DeLo...
EntertainmentEarth.com

Back to the Future T-Shirt

Back to the Future T-Shirt

Title: Back To The Future - Rainbow; Product Type: T-Shirt
AllPosters.com

Speeding Back To The Future Shirt

Speeding Back To The Future Shirt

Back To The Future Speeding Through Time shirt with Delorean at 80stees.com. Huge selection of Back To The Future t-shirts, fast shipping, great custo...
80sTees.com
Back To The Future Car Open Charcoal T-shirt, Large L

Back To The Future Car Open Charcoal T-shirt, Large L

Back To The Future 8-Bit Movie Adult T-Shirt Tee

Back To The Future 8-Bit Movie Adult T-Shirt Tee

*Back To The Future 8-Bit Movie Adult T-Shirt Tee *May have a slightly faded print - image is for clarity *Officially Licensed *Color: Slate *Material...
Back To The Future Japanese T-Shirt

Back To The Future Japanese T-Shirt

Go Back to the Future - Japanese style!
Hot Topic
Back To The Future Doc Emmett Brown Reaction 3 3/4-inch Retro Funko

Back To The Future Doc Emmett Brown Reaction 3 3/4-inch Retro Funko

Back to the Future Doc Emmett Brown ReAction 3 3/4-Inch Retro Funko pre-order!!! Emmett Doc Brown Action Figure, in retro Kenner style!• Poseable 3 ...

Back to the Future Car Speeding Black T-Shirt

Back to the Future Car Speeding Black T-Shirt

Blast your way back into the future with this awesome Back to the Future Car Speeding Black T-Shirt! Featuring the iconic Back to the Future logo and ...
EntertainmentEarth.com

SOCCER.COM Soccer T-Shirt: Future Half Back Youth T-Shirt

SOCCER.COM Soccer T-Shirt: Future Half Back Youth T-Shirt

SOCCER.COM Soccer T-Shirt: Future Half Back Youth T-Shirt. For those future playmakers.Front reads:Future Half Back 5100% cotton. Imported.NOTE: This...
Soccer.com

CafePress Back To The Future Dark T-Shirt

CafePress Back To The Future Dark T-Shirt

Shop Today! Get Extra 20% OFF! Use code CSE20! Get Extra 20% OFF. Use Code: CSE20. Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% ...
CafePress.com