VeggieTales - Where's God When I'm S-Scared?

60 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

No More Tears, No More Fears

Apr 4, 2001

• Action Factor:
  • Special Effects:
  • Suspense:

Pros:upbeat and entertaining, teaches values, helps children with fear issues

Cons:a little scary for the younger crowd (emphasis on little!)

The Bottom Line: I believe this should be a first choice when looking for a video that will calm your child's fears and feel confident that they are safe.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals major details about the movie's plot.

I remember when I was a little girl, I was terrified of monsters and the dark. I could not go to bed without wondering, "Is that a monster in the corner or my large stuffed animal?". If only "Where's God When I'm S-Scared" were around then, maybe I could have survived the night without the fright. I know my children, especially my four-year-old, have appreciated this video in their lives.

A VEGGIE TALES CLASSIC
This Veggie Tales video is truly a classic. I believe it is Big Idea's first release. I bought if for my daughter when she was 3. She, like her mama, was afraid of the dark. So I bought her “Where’s God When I’m S-Scared”, hoping this would help her with her fears. Not only did it help her with her night fright, but also we were introduced to a hilarious video series that simply taught children about the presence of God in our lives.

SYNOPSIS AND PERSONAL OPINION OF VIDEO
Part I: Tales From the Crisper

The video opens with Larry and Bob reading a letter from a child who is afraid of the dark . They introduce the “Scared” segment, and the show begins. Junior Asparagus is watching a scary movie without his parents. We see a wide-eyed little asparagus boy, who is enthralled and scared out of his wits. His mom finds him like this, and stops the show to put him to bed. He says he is not scared, but we all know that excuse.

The majority of the segment takes place in Junior’s bedroom. He meets Larry the Cucumber and Bob the Tomato. They first introduce him to Frankencelery the actor and than attempt to comfort Junior with a song.

"You don't need to be afraid, because God is the biggest" says Bob the Tomato.

Than they sing the song:

"Because I know that God's the biggest, and he's watching all the while. So when I get scared, I'll think of him and close my eyes and smile"

"God is bigger than the boogie man, he's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on me. Oh, God is bigger than the boogy man and he's watching out for you and me!”

The segment concludes with Junior confident that God watches over him, and he need not fear. I love that they show God to be bigger than monsters, as this is a concept children can understand. The song "God is Bigger. . ." is catchy, and in desperate moments I sing it to comfort my own children.

INTERMISSION

We are introduced to the infamous “Silly Songs With Larry” in the intermission. Larry sings “The Water Buffalo Song”. This is a song about how everyone needs a Water Buffalo. He’s so silly!

Part II: Daniel and the Lion's Den

The second part of the video is an operetta telling the Bible story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den. Larry stars as Daniel. The plot involves Daniel, a friend of the king, being betrayed by the king's advisors and is thrown in the lion's den. He is thrown in the lion's den because he refuses to bow to anyone but God. In the den, an angel appears telling him to not be afraid because God will protect him.
The segment is a great interpretation of the Bible Story. The songs entertain the kids while teaching an important lesson in trusting God. I believe this lesson of faith in God crucial in our children’s spiritual development. If they see that not even the lions touched Daniel because God was with him, than there is no need to fear themselves.

MY RECOMMENDATION
I wholeheartedly recommend “Where’s God When I’m S-Scared”. For Christian parents who are looking for entertaining videos that teach Bible truths, this is a great choice. Non-Christians can purchase this video too, as fear is a common trait in all children.

Viewing Format: VHS
Video Occasion: Better than Watching TV
Suitability For Children: Suitable for Children up Ages 8

Veggietales - Where's God When I'm S-scared? - Dvd

Veggietales - Where's God When I'm S-scared? - Dvd

The premiere episode of the kids' series blending computer animation with Christian moral themes and catchy songs--sung by vegetables! Here, Junior As...

READ and HEAR edition: Where's God When I'm Scared / VeggieTales eBook

READ and HEAR edition: Where's God When I'm Scared / VeggieTales eBook

Buy READ and HEAR edition: Where's God When I'm Scared / VeggieTales by Cindy Kenney and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Col...
Kobo eBooks