Nurse Betty

Nurse Boring

Jul 21, 2001 (Updated Aug 25, 2001)
  • User Rating: OK

• Action Factor:
  • Suspense:

Pros:Freeman is good as usual, lots of interesting scene locations

Cons:The first half is poorly paced and left me waiting for something to happen

The Bottom Line: Original story but poorly executed. Good acting all around (other than Rock) but the script just wasn't anything to work with apparently.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.

I was excited to see this movie. I enjoy watching Zellweger on screen and Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors. I couldn't wait to laugh, and I couldn't wait to see an originally styled movie. The movie was funny (two or three times) and it did show sparks of originality (when it wasn't stealing from Gross Pointe Blank) but overall it just was too bland.

The Plot
The film follows the adventure of Betty, a simple housewife from Kansas, who has slipped into an alternate reality after watching her husband be murdered. Because of the tramatic event, Betty thinks she is the ex-fiancee of her favorite Soap star and heads to L.A. to find him. Freeman and Chris Rock are the killers and they spend the rest of the movie chasing Betty across the country so they can finish her off and sleep easy knowing there are no more witnesses to their crime. After a while Betty's alternate "reality" gets downright annoying to watch. No one seems to catch on that she has gone nuts and you find yourself pleading for a character with half an ounce of intelligence to recognize what is going on. I understand that this is as the director intended, but as the viewer, I didn't buy it. Zellweger did a great job portraying the part, but I wanted to smack most of the people around her until they wised up to what was going on.

Ratings
Just a quick run down of the movie on a scale of 1-10 with
10 being the best.

Original story - 7 - The idea was unique, I'll give them that
Execution of story - 4 - There seem to be quite a few scenes included for character building, but the scenes don't really go anywhere. We have all of these well defined characters, but they don't do anything.
Acting - 7 - Freeman is great, Zellweger is good, the smaller roles are convincing
DVD transfer quality - 7 - very pale in some scenes but overall good video quality. DVD menus are decent as well
Funny - 5 - A few parts made me chuckly, but nothing was overly clever
Suspense - 4 - This movie wasn't really meant to be suspenseful, so you can't fault it for that. There were a few tense moments though.
Character development - 7 - As I said earlier, we know all about these people, but they don't do squat!

One note on Chris Rock in this movie. Must he always play a part that calls for him swearing, screaming, and just being a jerk a lot? Come on Chris, we've seen you do that already. Pick something new.

In closing, there is a scene in the movie where Morgan Freeman's character wants to see the Grand Canyon. Chris Rock's character thinks it is a waste of time and refers to it as the "Bland Canyon". Replace Canyon with movie and you have what I think of the film.

Viewing Format: DVD
Video Occasion: Better than Watching TV
Suitability For Children: Not suitable for Children of any age

Nurse Betty Opaque Backseam Thigh Highs

Nurse Betty Opaque Backseam Thigh Highs

Stockings, Nurse Betty Opaque Backseam Thigh Highs With Satin Bow And Badge Applique Stockings
Betty Boop Nurse Earrings Nurses Gift White Nursing Uniform Cap Dangle Us Seller

Click here to see our Nursing Jewelry Collection Cute Betty Boop Nurse Nurses White Nursing Uniform Cap Dangle Earrings USA Seller These Betty Boop Nu...

Elomi Betty Underwire Plunge Bra 8170 Turquiose Nursing Bra

Elomi Betty Underwire Plunge Bra 8170 Turquiose Nursing Bra

envyboutique2014 Store Betty Underwire Plunge Bra NURSING BRA

Introduction to Theory and Reasoning in Nursing - Betty Johnson - 9780781791038 - 0781791030

ISBN13: 9780781791038. ISBN10: 0781791030. by Betty Johnson. Published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Edition: 3RD 09
Textbooks.com

Nature of Suffering and Goals of Nursing - Betty R. Ferrell and Nessa Coyle - 9780195333121 - 0195333128

ISBN13: 9780195333121. ISBN10: 0195333128. by Betty R. Ferrell and Nessa Coyle. Published by Oxford University Press. Edition: 08

Adult Zombie Bloodbath Betty Nurse Costume Elegant Moments 9855

Adult Zombie Bloodbath Betty Nurse Costume Elegant Moments 9855

Adult Zombie Bloodbath Betty Nurse Costume includes dress, head piece, mask and stethoscope.
Clinical Decision Making: .. Psych. Nursing - Betty Kehl Richardson - 9781401838454 - 1401838456

ISBN13: 9781401838454. ISBN10: 1401838456. by Betty Kehl Richardson. Published by Cengage Learning. Edition: 07

SPONGEBATH BETTY LARGE

SPONGEBATH BETTY LARGE

Includes- Low Cut Gingham Mini Dress and Matching Nurse Hat. Sizes 8-10. Width: 13.00 Height: 3.00 Length: 16.00