Austin Powers in Goldmember

GOLDMEMBER IS THE FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER!

May 11, 2002 (Updated May 11, 2002)

Pros:The funniest movie I have ever seen.

Cons:Beyoncé Knowles was terrible.

The Bottom Line: This is the funniest movie I've ever seen. It's jam-packed with wonderfully hilarious humor, and you won't be disappointed.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.

I was strolling around my nearby shopping mall, when all of a sudden; some guy tapped me on the shoulder. It was none other than MIKE MYERS! No, just kidding. The guy that tapped me happened to be someone that was offering passes to a test screen of Austin Powers in Goldmember. Being one of the biggest Austin Powers fans in the world, I couldnít help but sign up. It turned out to be one of the greatest decisions Iíve ever made.

Goldmember takes off 3 years after the Spy Who Shagged Me. In this 3rd installment to the Austin Powers franchise, Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) teams up with the strange, yet genius, Dutchman, who goes by the name of Goldmember (Mike Myers). Dr. Evil constructs a time-traveling plan to achieve world domination, one that centers around the kidnapping of Englandís most celebrated spy, Nigel Powers, who just happens to be Austinís father (Michael Caine). To stop Goldmember from teaming with Dr. Evil, Austin (Mike Myers) visits 1975 and joins with his old love, Foxxy Cleopatra (Beyoncť Knowles), a classy and sharp-witted detective. Together Austin and Foxxy must find a way to rescue Nigel Powers and thwart Dr. Evilís plans to conjure up some pandemonium.

The opening scenes in the Austin Powers movies are well known for their extravagant dance routines and visually pleasing sets. This one definitely takes the cake. I donít want to ruin anything, but if you are curiousÖ ****MIGHT GIVE TOO MUCH AWAY**** The opening scene is jam-packed with cameos from Kevin Spacey, Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Danny DeVito, Brittany Spears, and a few more that I donít remember right now. The scene opens up Mission Impossible 2 style, in the exact fashion of one of the car chases. Tom Cruise is driving the Austin Powers SWINGER car. A helicopter is shooting at him, and he ejects himself out of the car, shoots bullets up and over the helicopter, and lands right back into his car. Itís absolutely brilliant. Danny DeVito plays Mini Me, Kevin Spacey plays Dr. Evil, Tom Cruise plays Austin Powers, and Gwyneth Paltrow plays Dixie Normous. Iíve never laughed so hard during a movie. Thereís more, but just in case some people read on by accident, I donít want to give it away. ****MIGHT GIVE TOO MUCH AWAY****

This story was by far my favorite. Mike Myers, who vowed that this was the last Austin Powers movie he was going to make, did the best job. He explored everything he could, and every scene is crafted with such wit and eminence. When Austin Powers flashes back to his childhood, and to the school where he met Basil and Dr. Evil, I was laughing almost non-stop. From Dr. Evilís lair looking out through the Hollywood sign, all the way to the gold plated private parts, Mike Myers covered it all.

The ending is something that no one can predict, and that's all I'm going to say.

Those of you that have read my reviews know that I love Austin Powers, Mike Myers, and comedy. Let me just say that Iíve never laughed so hard in any movie-going experience as I did in Goldmember. A guy sitting 3 seats next to me almost passed out because he was laughing so hard. They might actually have to cut out some of the movie because itís TOO funny.

Many of you know my philosophy that expectations make or break a movie. For example, if you are expecting a phenomenal movie, youíre not going to enjoy the movie as much because itíd be hard for the movie to meet your expectations. But, if youíre expecting a bad movie, then you can never really be disappointed because even if the movie is bad, you were expecting it all along. With this movie, my expectations were sky-high. Since I loved the first 2 Austin Powers movies, I thought the third was going to be totally uproarious. I was right. Honestly, this movie met my soaring expectations because it was sidesplitting all the way through. I was ebullient going into the movie, and I was ebullient going out of the movie because I had finally got around to seeing Goldmember.

The reason that most people liked International Man of Mystery more than Spy Who Shagged Me is because of the originality issues. The first Austin Powers was like nothing weíd seen before, but the second one was a little too much of the same thing. In Goldmember, there were few things that were imitative because the majority of the movie was new, brand-spanking new. Just like Spy Who Shagged Me, one of the best things about Goldmember was the introduction of new characters, and the preservation of the oldies.

Since you know all the old characters, Iím only going to introduce the new ones. For those of you that want to get to know all the old characters, check out my reviews on Austin Powers 1 and 2.

Foxxy Cleopatra, played by Beyoncť Knowles, is from the 70ís. She is beautiful, stylish, and one of Austinís past love interests. She works in Goldmemberís club as the lead singer in a band of 3 girls. I know this is really mean, but I just have to say it. I think the prerequisite to be the lead female role opposite Austin Powers is being a bad actress. Elizabeth Hurley was terrible. Heather Graham was terrible. And now, Beyoncť Knowles is terrible. I mean sheís beautiful and everything, but sheís just not a good actress. It didnít take away from the movie that much, but I was just disappointed.

Nigel Powers, played by Michael Caine, is a legend in his own time, much like Austin. Nigel continues to work as a spy, and he seems to be the master of smoothness. He can talk his way through anything, and he still gets all the ladies. Austin looks up to him, but Nigel proves to be a little bit of a flake when it comes to important things. Thereís rivalry between the two throughout the movie. Michael Caine is exceptional as Austinís dad. He nails all the lines with brilliance, and he really brings a lot of positive impact to the film.

Goldmember, played by the very versatile Mike Myers, is a thief from Holland. Heís a wonderful roller-dancer, and heís very flexible. Heís the oddest character in the film, but funny nonetheless. He speaks with a semi-accurate accent and wears nothing but gold outfits. Goldmember is a very friendly villain, which makes figuring him out near impossible. Mike Myers is hilarious as Goldmember, the most complex character I think heís ever created. Mike Myers had to take on yet another accent while acting as the goofy nemesis to Austin Powers.

Mike Myers falls nothing short of excellent. Heís worth every penny. The test screening was free, but I wouldnít hesitate to pay the $9 anyway. He has the amazing ability to play many characters that are as different as night and day. His screen presence is dazzling, and everyone in my audience picked up on it. SNL trained him well.

Michael York, Basil Exposition, is great. He doesnít really have a chance to shine, but every scene heís in is wonderfully acted.

Seth Green, Scott Evil, does the best job in this installment. In the other 2 movies, he just plays the rebellious teenager that has everything against his father, Dr. Evil, but in this movie, he plays a son striving to fit in. Seth Green is very funny, and the argumentative scenes he shares with Dr. Evil are amazingly hilarious.

Mindy Sterling, Frau Farbissina, has always been a great addition to the Austin Powers movies. She isnít better in Goldmember because in my opinion, she was always the best. She really had a chance to shine in the second Austin Powers, but she does a wonderful job in Goldmember regardless. Her background in sketch comedy (the Groundlings) is what makes her job look so easy.

If thereís anyone that I left out, Iím sorry. The bottom line is that you need to get your butts in the theater when this movie comes out on July 26. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen, and I donít even think a minute went by where I wasnít cracking up hysterically. Mike Myers made this movie so outrageous and hilarious that I donít think all the comedy writers in the world could craft something so brilliant. Donít even worry about me building up the movie too much, because this movie can match any expectations.

Austin Powers Goldmember - Full Screen Dvd - Free Usa Shipping

Austin Powers Goldmember - Full Screen Dvd - Free Usa Shipping

AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER, the third movie in the Austin Powers series, stars Mike Myers in director Jay Roach's James Bond, Sci-Fi, 1970s, funkadel...
AUSTIN POWERS-GOLDMEMBER (DVD/WS 2.35)

AUSTIN POWERS-GOLDMEMBER (DVD/WS 2.35)

AUSTIN POWERS-GOLDMEMBER (DVD/WS 2.35)COMEDY UPON LEARNING THAT HIS FATHER HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED, AUSTIN POWERS MUST TRAVEL TO 1975 AND DEFEAT THE APTLY-...
Austin Powers in Goldmember Widescreen; Infinifilm Series DVD

Austin Powers in Goldmember Widescreen; Infinifilm Series DVD

AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER the third movie in the Austin Powers series stars Mike Myers in director Jay Roach's James Bond Sci-Fi 1970s funkadelic fo...

Austin Powers Goldmember Ds Original Movie Poster Foil

Austin Powers Goldmember Ds Original Movie Poster Foil

AUSTIN POWERS GOLDMEMBER - D/S 27x40 Original Movie Poster Description Product: AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER - Double Sided Original Movie Theater Post...

AUSTIN POWERS-GOLDMEMBER (BLU-RAY/FF-4X3)

Austin Powers In Goldmember Dvd (2002) Full Screen

Austin Powers In Goldmember Dvd (2002) Full Screen

Austin Powers in Goldmember/ Dumb and Dumberer - 2 Pack 2- Disc Set DVD

Austin Powers in Goldmember/ Dumb and Dumberer - 2 Pack 2- Disc Set DVD

AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER - AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER the third movie in the Austin Powers series stars Mike Myers in director Jay Roach's James B...

AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER

AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER

No description available. Genre: Comedy Rating: PG13 Release Date: 0000-00-00 Media Type: Blu-Ray