Johnny Cash ~ Hurt Video ~ DVD Single

Mar 7, 2004

Pros:very moving video for the song "Hurt"

Cons:no extras, only four minutes total

The Bottom Line: Johnny Cash does a moving job with his "Hurt" video.

Cash – Hurt – A Film by Mark Romanek is the video that Johnny Cash did for the song “Hurt”. There are no extras or special effects. The total playtime is a little less than four minutes.

I must admit that when I first heard Johnny Cash sing Trent Reznor’s song Hurt I didn’t like it too much. I then saw the video and I fell in love with the song and the video. While I was looking around in a comic book store I spotted Cash – Hurt – A Film by Mark Romanek. I thought this would be a neat DVD to add to my collection so I bought it.

The Video:

The video shows a frail Johnny as he plays his guitar and then as he plays the piano. He is shown inside his house at the head of a full table of food. He is also shown with June looking lovingly over his shoulder. There are various pictures of Johnny and June in their younger years. There is a clip from the old House of Cash Museum, which is now closed. There is a clip of Johnny as he visits his old abandoned childhood home. Johnny is looking inside the windows. There is a picture of Johnny’s mother shown. There is also clips of the crucifix. You can see where the nails are being hammered into the hands and where Jesus is hanging on the cross. You can see Johnny when he was young hoping on a train with his guitar. The video ends as Johnny closes the piano.

My Thoughts:

This video is so moving for me. I can feel that Johnny really means the words to the song.

”What have I become? - My sweetest friend - Everyone I know - Goes away in the end - You could have it all - My empire of dirt”

The sound and picture in this video are both really wonderful. I have played the video over and over. It moves me every time. I didn’t expect the effect that this video has had on me. I can’t seem to watch it without crying. There is so much emotion here and I can feel it so deeply. Johnny really expresses himself through this video and I personally think it’s the best video that I have ever seen. It is very moving for me. Others agreed.

The video won the 37th Annual CMA Video of the Year and Single of the Year. It won a Grammy at the 46th Grammy Awards for Best Short Form Video. It also won for song on the year at the Americana Music Association Awards. Johnny also won awards for best album of the year for his American IV: The Man Comes Around.

Johnny Cash passed away on September 12, 2003 from complications of diabetes. He was 71.

Credits:

American Recordings in association with Lost Highway Records Presents “Hurt”
A Film by Mark Romanek