After the Sunset

11 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Salma Hayek Gets Almost Naked in After the Sunset

Nov 14, 2004

Pros:Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, and Woody Harrelson. Clever, entertaining movie.

Cons:Slower in a few spots.

The Bottom Line: After the Sunset was a clever, entertaining movie. Fans of the cast may also like the movie.

I first saw Pierce Brosnan in the tv show Remington Steele when I was a kid. I loved the show and was annoyed when it was cancelled. Since then Brosnan made several movies and I have seen many of them. I’ve decided to see a few movies just because he was in them. He has made several more movies since becoming James Bond in Goldeneye. I’ve been wanting to see After the Sunset, his newest movie, since I first saw the previews for it.

Max Burdett and Lola Cirillo were successful jewel thieves. The FBI suspected Max in several crimes, but they could never arrest him because Max came up with fool proof alibis. Stan Lloyd was the FBI agent that had been after Max for years. Stan was transporting one of the very valuable Napoleon diamonds. One had already been stolen. Max and Lola got away with the diamond in a way that made Stan look very bad in the bureau. Max and Lola were going to retire.

Max and Lola settled down in the Bahamas to enjoy their retirement. After six months, Max was tired of eating lobster and feeling a bit restless. Lola seemed to be more content in their new life. Max came home one day to find Stan in the house waiting on him. Stan believed that Max was planning to steal the third Napoleon diamond. The diamond was part of an exhibit on a cruise ship that was going to dock on the island for a week. Max was insistent that he was retired, but Stan didn’t believe him and was hanging around to watch Max. Lola was worried that Max would be tempted to go after the diamond. Henry More, a local gangster, arranged a meeting with Max. Henry wanted Max to steal the diamond for him. Stan started working with Sophie, a local cop hoping to make a big arrest. Stan was always around watching, so he and Max ended up spending a lot of time together. The men seemed to becoming friends.

I enjoyed After the Sunset. It was entertaining for me and I’m glad I went to see it. The movie did have some similarities with movies like Ocean's 11, The Italian Job , and The Thomas Crown Affair. Thieves were involved in all the movies, though each was after a different item and went about pulling off the heists in different ways. I do like this sort of movie even though they aren’t always the most original. People who like caper type movies may also like After the Sunset. There were a few things in this movie that I thought were clever. This movie was different in that it showed the successful end of a heist at the beginning of the movie. Then Max and Lola moved to the Bahamas to enjoy their retirement. The movie did spend a lot of time dealing with how Max was adjusting to retirement. Those parts were a little slower paced. Some people might be bored with those parts. The movie kept my interest through the slower parts and I wasn’t bored.

There was action in different parts of the movie, though I didn’t consider it to be an action-packed movie. There was something very interesting and entertaining that happened early in the movie with one of the FBI vehicles. There was more action later in the movie as well. The pace of the movie did pick up during the action scenes. The camera jumped around some during some of the action scenes, but it wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t annoying like it has been in some movies, and I was still able to keep track of what was going on. There was one time when the picture seemed a little shaky when there wasn’t any acting going on. Guns were used at different times, and there was some shooting. There was also a little bit of fighting in the movie. This wasn’t a violent movie though.

I’ve seen After the Sunset described as an action comedy movie. There were things that made me laugh, but I don’t really think it was a comedy. The movie seemed more serious for the most part and the funny things were added in here and there to help lighten the mood. I did think something that happened at the beginning of the movie was rather funny. Later there were other little things that characters said or did that made me laugh. There were some funny exchanges between Stan and Max at different times. They ended up going on a fishing trip together and Max caught a shark. Their reaction to having a shark in their boat was very funny. I did laugh several times in the movie, but I have seen funnier movies. People looking for a comedy would probably do better with a different movie.

There was a lot of skin on display throughout After the Sunset. Most was shown once the movie moved to the Bahamas, but Salma did show up in a skimpy top before that. She had on a very low cut tank top some of her first scenes. It looked like her breasts were going to pop right out when she bent over. She turned up in similar tops throughout the movie. I really don’t know how she managed to stay in some of them. She also wore some bikinis in a few different scenes. There was one time when she looked to be topless, but the way she and Brosnan were positioned kept from showing anything. She was shown topless from behind once or twice, but never from the front. There wasn’t any actual nudity in the movie, though some characters were barely covered at times. Salma Hayek still managed to show off a lot of skin without being fully nude. Lola and Max were living together and seemed to be engaged. They did kiss in a few scenes, but there weren’t any actual sex scenes between. They were close to having sex more than once, and then the scene changed to something else. Stan and Sophie were working together to keep the diamond from being stolen and there was a growing attraction between them. They ended up in bed at one point, and clothes were coming off, but again, the actual sex wasn’t shown. The sex was left up to the viewer’s imaginations even though a lot of skin was shown. Both Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson were shirtless at different times. They both looked good, though it looked like Brosnan isn’t still in the shape he was in for the Bond movies.

Almost all of After the Sunset took place on an island in the Bahamas. Max and Lola lived in a house that was right on the beach. There were some beautiful sunsets shown at different times in the movie. The island looked beautiful and made a good setting for the movie. It did make me want to go there. The Atlantis Resort was featured throughout the movie. There were some beautiful shots that included the resort in them. That resort is huge and does look very nice. It didn’t seem to be like a long commercial for the resort, though the name was mentioned at different times. Some of the non tourist areas of the island were also shown, and they looked very different.

After the Sunset had a great cast. I have liked Pierce Brosnan in every movie I’ve seen him in, and this one was no different. He was very good in the part. There was one little thing that did bother me a little about his character though. Max was usually sporting stubble, sometimes a few days worth. That made him look scruffy, and it wasn’t the best look for him. He looked so much better when he didn’t have the stubble. There were a few inconsistencies with the stubble though. It kept changing how thick it was, on the same day even, when Max wouldn’t have had a chance to shave. That didn’t really bother me though. I thought Salma Hayek was good as Lola as well. I haven’t seen her in many other movies. She had a much bigger part in this movie than she did in Once Upon a Time in Mexico . This was Woody Harrelson’s first major role in several years. I really liked him as Stan. He fit the part. Don Cheadle didn’t have as many scenes as Henry, but he was good in them. I haven’t seen Naomi Harris in anything else before. She was fine in the part, though nothing really stood out about her performance.

CHARACTERS

Max Burdett - He was a jewel thief that had never been caught. He planned carefully and had alibis so he couldn’t be charged. He retired with his girlfriend, though he seemed to be a bit restless. He loved her, but was struggling to write his vows. He seemed intrigued by the prospect of stealing the last Napoleon diamond.

Lola - Max’s girlfriend and partner. She was happy on the island and with their retirement. She had started to build decks for the house she and Max lived in. She was worried that Max was going to try to steal the diamond. She didn’t want any part of it.

Stan - He was the FBI agent that had been after Max and Lola for years. He was considered a joke because of how Max managed to steal the second Napoleon diamond. Stan came to the island because he was sure Max was going after the third. Stan was determined to catch Max.

Sophie - She was a police officer on the island. She met Stan soon after he arrived and they agreed to work together to try to catch Max. Sophie was fed up with the way some things were done on the island.

CAST

Pierce Brosnan - Max Burdett
Don Cheadle - Henry More
Woody Harrelson - Stan
Naomie Harrison - Sophie
Salma Hayek - Lola

After the Sunset was directed by Brett Ratner, the man who directed the Rush Hour movies. I don’t think this movie was as silly as those were in places. The movie was released on November 12, 2004. It was 100 minutes long and rated PG-13. There was swearing in the movie, include a few appearances of the word that rhymes with luck. I don’t think this is a movie for young children. I don’t think they would really stay interested in the movie. A couple did bring in five children to this movie when I saw it. The kids were running up and down the aisle throughout the movie.

After the Sunset was an entertaining caper movie that I did enjoy. A few things were predictable, but there was a surprise or two thrown in as well. Watching the movie was an enjoyable way to pass a few hours. People who like the cast may also enjoy the movie.