Meet the Fockers

We walked out on the Fockers...Is it legal to review the flick?

Dec 24, 2004 (Updated Dec 24, 2004)

Pros:...despite all the negative in the review, there are some pretty funny scenes.

Cons:Well, we walked out, so there's several...see the review.

The Bottom Line: ...don't waste your time. ...Life Aquatic, please don't let me down.

Can you review a movie that you walked out on? I’m going to give it a shot (we left about 1/2 hour before it was over).

Okay, there were eight of us that went to the movies last night. In relation to me…my parents, my wife, my siblings, one brother-in-law, and a grandma. We decided that we’d spend about $60 and head off to Meet the Fockers.

Now you’re probably all waiting for the exciting part, the moment of final frustration where we walk off huffing and puffing and demanding our money back...all in good time.

See, it wasn’t just one moment that did it…and, for me it wasn’t so much because I was offended, I think it was more that I was annoyed.

Remember Meet the Parents? There you had a movie that was occasionally crude, but the movie felt smart. It felt like the person who wrote it was one or two steps ahead of everyone. We see Gaylord at the table so swept away by his lies that he has to talk about milking cats…we see him hooked up to a lie detector test...he goes through that classic monologue on the airplane where he uses the “b” word (bomb) repeatedly.

Last night, while I was sitting there watching the sequel I saw moments that reminded me of the first movie’s wit. But, most of all, I saw stuff that looked like it was written by horny college students.

The premise of this one is that Gaylord and his fiancee travel with her parents to meet Gaylord’s parents. They get there and discover that Gaylord’s parents are incredibly wacky and open about their sexuality. This is fine, I suppose. But, wouldn’t you think Gaylord should be just a hint like his parents? Wouldn’t a good writer have caused us to see how Gaylord turned into who he is?

Instead, we have a mom who teaches old people how to have sex. We have a Dad who meets his future in-laws and immediately starts talking about his testicles. Dad Focker wants to have table talk about how everyone lost their virginity. We get to listen in on the Focker’s in the midst of their whip-cream acts of foreplay. Then, we get to see Barbara Streisand on top of Robert DeNiro’s back looking like she’s having sex....then, we left.

My parents, sister, and brother-in-law had left about 20 minutes before we did. And, I guess I left more because of the car situation than anything. But, I really wasn’t disappointed one bit that I was leaving. I mean, how hard is it to write in a joke about a dog that humps everything? A fourth-grader could have thought that up. ...and, I’ve already seen the joke watching Friends reruns.

The other reason I was annoyed is that the conservative Dad is portrayed as an uptight jerk and the loosy-goosy Hoffman and Streisand are portrayed as eccentric, but ultimately the admirable ones. This is where I could get in trouble for having an opinion and not finishing the movie.

But, here’s how I see it. DeNiro is no saint. He’s got some big issues. However, Hoffman and Streisand are pretty screwed up as well. It’s a big deal to loose your virginity. It’s fine to have a private sex life. These aren’t just quirky characters, they’re characters with just as many (if not more) issues as DeNiro.

So, why is it that the loose parents are portrayed as having life figured out while the conservative parents are portrayed as uptight? Lets be honest, they each have some commendable qualities and they each have some serious issues. Why is one shown to have it together more than the other?

One final annoyance with the movie, and I’ll be done. One of the things that made the first movie so good is that it was over-the-top about situations that most of us have been in. I can laugh when I see Robert DeNiro grilling Ben Stiller, because I’ve been in situations like that. We’ve all been around super-conservative people who think they have it all figured out…and, we kind-of hem-and-haw because we don’t want to offend them. I can laugh when I see Ben Stiller at the airport becuase we all seen the bizarre behavior that can take place there.

Meet the Fockers simply offers us over the top situations that I can’t relate to. There could be people out there who can relate to situations like this…I feel for you. Having your Dad bring up the day you lost your virginity to the maid while you’re at the diner table...I’m sorry, but I’m glad I can’t relate to that.

So, here’s my argument. I don’t think Meet the Fockers is worth your time or money because:
a) ...it’s obvious gross-out sexual humor…if you want to see that I’m sure you can find your fill if you ask your local Blockbuster employee. There’s nothing new here.
b) ...the character’s don’t make sense. How did Ben Stiller turn into the person he is with parents like that?
c) ...it takes serious issues and acts like they’re no big deal.
d) ...you can’t relate to this movie like you could to the first movie.

If you go to the movie, you’re sure to laugh a little bit. You’ll be entertained. But, for once, I wish we as a society could move the bar up a notch instead of constantly in a more obvious, baser, and more disgusting direction. But, this doesn’t surprise me...after all, we are the people who make Jerry Springer a household name and watch people eat reproductive organs (Fear Factor) while we as a family eat our meat loaf in the living room.

How did things end with the eight of us traipsing out of the theater? Well, after talking to customer service and then a manager we were able to get passes to a movie at a later date. We also got to come home early and spend some time together a little more profitably...you know, interacting. We looked at some pictures, played some NES Mario Golf. And, I’m pretty sure, if not positive, that I’d rather have that stored in my memory bank than the last half-hour of Meet the Fockers.

Meet The Fockers/meet The Parents - Dvd

Meet The Fockers/meet The Parents - Dvd

The smash hit comedy MEET THE PARENTS is paired here with its equally successful sequel, MEET THE FOCKERS. MEET THE PARENTS stars Ben Stiller as the u...

Meet The Fockers Let It Mellow T-Shirt

You will love this high quality Meet The Fockers Let It Mellow Tee Shirt. This is an official licensed design on a great wonderful T Shirt.
Dvd Meet The Fockers

Dvd Meet The Fockers

Enter the circle of trust with the cringe-worthy comedy of MEET THE PARENTS and MEET THE FOCKERS. See individual titles for synopsis information.

Meet the Fockers Widescreen DVD

Meet the Fockers Widescreen DVD

Following the knee-slapping hit MEET THE PARENTS director Jay Roach once again keeps audiences roaring with laughter as he presents this hilarious seq...
Family Video

Meet The Fockers

Meet The Fockers

Following the knee-slapping hit MEET THE PARENTS, director Jay Roach once again keeps audiences roaring with laughter as he presents this hilarious se...

Meet The Fockers (dvd, 2005, Widescreen) -brand New-

Meet The Fockers (dvd, 2005, Widescreen) -brand New-

MEET THE FOCKERS (BLU RAY)

MEET THE FOCKERS (BLU RAY)

MEET THE FOCKERS (BLU RAY)COMEDY
Meet The Parents Meet The Fockers Little Fockers Dvd 2disc

Meet The Parents Meet The Fockers Little Fockers Dvd 2disc

ebaybody Meet The Parents Meet The Fockers Little Fockers DVD 2Disc Genre: Gift Set Rated: PG13 By: Uni Dist Corp This item is only guaranteed for NTS...