Wedding Crashers

Wedding Crashers ~ As Disappointing As a Real Marriage

Jul 16, 2005 (Updated Jul 18, 2005)

Pros:Mildly amusing

Cons:Just didn't really work for me

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line just wasn't all that impressed with this one.

I just adore Owen Wilson. I think he's adorable. That grin is to-die-for ornery. Vince Vaughn is one I like to watch too. He has a sense of fun about him. So, it was with much anticipation of many laughs that I wandered into Wedding Crashers this afternoon.

Now, the premise is pretty cute. These two guys who are stuck emotionally somewhere back in their teenage years cruise chicks by crashing weddings. They make up this whole back story and walk right on in like they belong there. Free food and lots of chicks. Perfect gig for them, until one of them falls in love.

Now, if you've seen the trailers (and you likely have) then you pretty much know everything that happens here except for the last 20 minutes or so. What is it with this trend in trailers these days anyway? Geeze. I'm half wondering why I even bother to go to the theater anymore. They give way too much away. Ah well. At any rate, not all of the laughs were already done with the trailer, but the majority were.

I mean, I smiled here and there, and even chuckled a time or three, but there are no real belly laughs to be had with this one as I was hoping for. It doesn't totally suck, mind you, but it wasn't nearly as good as I wanted.

The guys tried. They really did. It's just.... well... there was something missing. It's like it was more of a kinda high school humor with middle aged guys. Looked good on paper, I'm sure. It just didn't hook into my entertainment bone like it should have. Am I getting old?

The best here was by far Christopher Walken as the high-profile political maverick and father of the two girls last targeted by Wilson and Vaughn. I don't think he could perform badly if he wanted to, and yet... it wasn't all there as it usually is. Still very good, but not even close to his best.

We've got an R rating here in the USA, mostly for language and some sexy scenes. Nothing nekkid mind you (other than females, which your 13 year old can see in that Playboy hidden under his bed)... but you know what's going on. Still. This isn't gonna warp young minds at all. 13 and up sayeth the Doc.

So. I'm going with 3 mediocre stars here and saying to just wait for it on video. I paid matinee prices and didn't feel like I wanted my 7 bucks back, but I did wish I had chosen something else.

CafePress Wedding Crashers T-Shirt

Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% polyesterCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold

CafePress Wedding Crashers T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

You Motorboatin' Son-of-a-bitch - T-shirt (wedding Crashers Reference)

You Motorboatin' Son-of-a-bitch - T-shirt (wedding Crashers Reference)

Did you motorboat her? Were they built for speed or comfort? If you love the famous lines delivered by Vince Vaughn in the classic movie Wedding Crash...

CafePress Wedding Crashers Women's Light T-Shirt

CafePress Wedding Crashers Women's Light T-Shirt

Women's T-Shirt100% cotton5.6 ozStandard FitTagless Crewneck CollarMachine Wash Cold

CafePress Wedding Crashers Infant Bodysuit

Infant Bodysuit100% soft ringspun cotton jersey, heather grey is 97/3 cotton-poly blend3 snap closure for easy diaper changesLap sleeve neckline for e...

CafePress Wedding Crashers Fitted T-Shirt

CafePress Wedding Crashers Fitted T-Shirt

Men's Fitted T-Shirt4.3 oz. 100% ultra-fine combed ring-spun jerseyMade in the USA, by American ApparelSlim fit, size up for looser fit Machine Wash C...