11:14

May 16, 2006

• Action Factor:
  • Special Effects:
  • Suspense:

Pros:I'm not one to usually say "my eyes were glued to the screen", but damn.

Cons:The ending jumps up on you like "Boo!"

The Bottom Line: 11:14 may just be one of the best movies you've never seen.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.

If you love jigsaw puzzles and you love movies, you'll just adore 11:14.

This is the kind of film you watch and while your mouth is continually uttering phrases like "Ohh, I get it now!", or "So that's what was XX when YY was ZZ" and other such mockeries where a simple "Eureka" would suffice, your mind is still five seconds away from catching up to your mouth and uttering the ultimate comeback of all time: "So?"

But I think there is an inherent human fascination with time itself and with the synchronicity of our lives. There could be someone you know from work that grabs a cuisine fix at the diner right across from your apartment and you'd never know it. All that time, you were right there and who knew? It doesn't necessarily mean anything to you, except a chance perhaps to wallow in a sea of "coulda, woulda, shoulda", but the fact that sometimes you just plain can't know is what makes the discovery all the sweeter.

And well, that's pretty much what 11:14 is all about.

We are brought into this mess of a world with none other than Henry Thomas driving down the road in the middle of the night. And yes, this is the same dude who played Elliot in E.T.

He's driving whilst talking on a cell phone, need I say more? Anyway, he's just about to head under an overpass when something falls right off the edge and explodes onto his windshield. He slams the brakes, pulls over and inspects the damage. Uh-oh, it was a MAN. Sucks to be him I guess!

Henry stuffs the dude into his trunk, and of course what else should happen but a police car drive by. Police, synchronicity, very funny guys. Seated not so comfortably in the back seat of the car are Hilary Swank and another dude. So here's ohh, about half our cast right here. Well, to say any more would be to spoil what turns out to be a real hurricane of events.

In a nutshell, what this film does is pretty much what the masses are saying. It tells the story from five different points of view. First you see one thing, and naturally you start to assume. Next thing you know, you're seeing the other side of it. You're seeing why it happened or how it happened, or what marvelous series of events, coincidences, and above all else motives, led to it happening.

You got your standard issue story here, involving a flock of 20-somethings. They are thrust into situations that you and I, in the safety of our reclining sofas, are probably just praying never happen to us. Gas station robberies to help sick relatives, bowling balls used for frame jobs, and penises getting cut off by closing car windows. Just when you think you've seen everything, you haven't.

Hilary Swank does one of the most difficult things an actor can do -- create a character that you know if you saw that person in real life you'd probably be avoiding them, yet somehow she still makes that character endearing and fun to watch. The "other" heavy-hitter, Patrick Swayze, puts on a few pounds (manually) and plays the stereotypical single Dad whose realism is well-sealed within a single 5-minute sandwich scene.

Also notable is the ever blazing Rachel Leigh Cook as Cheri, whose name is seen on a lost keychain in an early scene, but whose character we don't actually meet face-to-upside-down-face until the last 20 minutes. We only see her briefly in other scenes, not really knowing who she is, but there are many who will say that this entire story revolves around her. I guess, I don't know. Colin Hanks, who is indeed the son of Tom Hanks hops on board to play, but is mostly a side player and his character is kind of a dick. Gotta give props to Stark Sands, though, because playing a guy who has just been dismembered in the worst of places, well I'm sure that's no picnic. Probably even less of a picnic to go back and watch yourself!

Considering that the film's title is a specific time, I guess many of y'all wouldn't be too disappointed if I told you that watching the film is anything but time-consuming. It runs for an extremely brisk 85 minutes, and it's adios. I'd watch out for the ending, though. It sneaks up on you before you know it, and if you're anything like me, your jaw will drop and you'll be like "WHAT!? THAT WAS IT!?" To this day, I still clamor for what happened at 11:15, but that's what makes these jigsaw puzzle movies so damn addictive. It ain't about the destination, man. It's all journey.

The DVD commentary from director Greg Marcks, pretty much explains everything (which after 2 viewings you should already know anyway) while also giving us some insight into the making of 11:14. There is also some type of option that allows you to jump points-of-view at will while watching the movie, but I never tried it. Sounds pretty cool though. And of course, you have the trailer for the movie itself. I know some of you out there might want to get a little sneak-peek, well don't even think about it on this one. Spoiler-free is the only way to go, baby.

Viewing Format: DVD