Dot.Kill

Dot.Kill : Even cool high-tech gadgets couldn't make this movie interesting.

Jul 14, 2008

Pros:Ummmm.... I'm still thinking... I'll have to get back to you.

Cons:The whole thing. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating.

The Bottom Line: This movie has a decent premise, but that's it. Absolutely no one should see this movie.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals major details about the movie's plot.

Dot.Kill has a reasonable premise but that's about the only thing it got right. Sadly, this movie is a total mess, and a complete waste of Armand Assante's acting ability. As he is also the producer of this film, I can definitely say, without a doubt, that he needs to stick to one side of the camera, only.

Assante plays Charlie Daines, a tough-as-nails detective. Thirty years in the business have made him as hard as they come, but he's also known as a "dinosaur" around the department. Someone who's more comfortable doing police work the old-fashioned way: writing notes in a little black book and hitting the streets to chase clues, rather than using those "new-fangled" computers.

But the latest crime wave to hit his town is totally high-tech. Someone's murdering company CEO's live, on the Internet. Yes, millions of people all over the world can watch the killer do his dirty work, from the comfort of their own homes.

Charlie is attacking the situation in his usual way, but the force has brought in a super-geek to work the case the high-tech way. Which detective's methods will ultimately bring down the killer? Guess!

Oh - to add just a bit of human drama to the story, Charlie is dying. He's in terrible pain, coughing his guts out, and hiding his true condition from everyone. Everyone, except for the ex-junkie from whom Charlie gets his morphine, the only thing keeping him sane as he suffers through his disease.

All of that sounds reasonable, doesn't it? I thought so. Thus I was completely surprised that the movie failed so miserably.

First of all, Charlie is dying. This is made known early on. We get it! But as if to remind us, constantly, of that fact, he coughs. And coughs. And coughs. Basically he hacks his way through nearly every scene. At times the hacking is so loud, it obscures the dialogue in the scene! It is so annoying to have to listen and watch.

Next is Charlie's son. He's supposed to be a "typical teenager", I guess, but I found him ridiculous. He's one of these kids who lives on the computer playing games all day long, to the exclusion of almost everything else in his life. When he stumbles onto the hacked website showing the murders, he's thrilled. How exciting - watching people die, live! And the kid is stupid enough to actually mention - to his father - just how "cool" this stuff is. Wouldn't you think that a kid raised by a hard-core detective who spends his life catching the bad guys and trying to help the good guys, would have just one ounce of sensitivity?

Speaking of sensitivity, I won't judge Charlie's decision to keep his real condition a secret from his family. It might not be how I would handle the situation, but I suppose he's trying to protect them. Still, knowing he's not going to be around much longer, I think he should have spent some real quality time with them instead of working full-time. His wife has been wanting them to take a nice vacation, it seems to me that he should do it. NOW. Don't wait even one more day. But, no, he just continues working.

All of the above would be considered minor annoyances if the story had any real depth or was an amazingly intriguing mystery. But it didn't, and it wasn't. In fact, the "reveal" of the killer was a complete let-down, seeing as how I'd pegged it a half hour before. As did my husband. And, I suspect, anyone else who watched this movie. The mystery simply was not done in a clever, subtle way where you can watch as small clues reveal themselves. Rather, it was in-your-face obvious what was really going on.

Also annoying, we didn't get to "know" the victims at all. Not even for five minutes of character development so we might come to care about them. Nope, they're just nameless random people to us. Not to say they deserve to die, but the movie would have been better if we could have gotten to know them, at least a little bit.

There was only one part of the movie I actually liked, and that was Charlie's friendship with the ex-junkie who supplies his morphine. That might not be the best basis for a friendship, but in this case it works. At least Charlie has one person he can talk to about his illness, and who, in her own way, helps him.

But other than that, this movie is a total mess, and I don't recommend it. It has a well-deserved R rating for violence, language, and drug use. Personally, I rate it A, as in "Avoid".

Suitability For Children: Not suitable for Children of any age

Lucid Kill Flash For The Hd7 Red Dot Weight 0.2 Ounces - Black - Brand

Lucid Kill Flash For The Hd7 Red Dot Weight 0.2 Ounces - Black - Brand

Powered by Frooition Pro Home About Us Shipping FAQ's Contact Us Shop Search Lucid Kill Flash For The HD7 Red Dot Weight 0.2 Ounces - Black - Brand Ne...

Tasco 1x30 Red Dot Sight

Tasco 1x30 Red Dot Sight

Set your sights on more successful hunting with the bright 1x30 Red Dot. Features like fixed focus, unlimited eye relief and a wide field of view make...
Dick's Sporting Goods

Barska 40mm Dual Color Green / Red Dot Scope

Barska 40mm Dual Color Green / Red Dot Scope

The Barska Dual Color Dot Scope provides you with a red and green dot to use depending on the light. This enables you to set up perfectly for every s...
Dick's Sporting Goods

Millett Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x Variable Sized Dot (3, 5, 8, 10 MOA) with Weaver-Style Rings Matte

Millett Red Dot sights are waterproof, shockproof and guaranteed to withstand the heavy recoil from the largest magnum calibers. Features precision cl...
MidwayUSA

Bushnell AR Optics 2x MP Red Dot Sight w/ Illuminated Red/Green T-dot Reticle 1in Riser. Bushnell AR Optics 2x MP Red Dot Sight w/ Illuminated Red/Gre...
OpticsPlanet.com

Bushnell AR Optics 2x MP Red Dot Sight w/ Illuminated Red/Green T-dot Reticle, 1

Bsa Sport & Recreational Optics Red Dot Scope Rd30

Bsa Sport & Recreational Optics Red Dot Scope Rd30

Country Sportsman We are a Sporting Goods store in Rome, GA Since: 1985 You are buying a NEW: BSA Sport Recreational Optics Red Dot Scope Item #RD30 T...
Men's Johnston & Murphy Updated Pin Dot (6 Pairs) - Black Dress Socks

Men's Johnston & Murphy Updated Pin Dot (6 Pairs) - Black Dress Socks

Specially knit with arch support, high-performance comfort features and anti-microbial material that helps kill odor-causing bacteria. 76% InnovaŽ pol...
Shoebuy.com

Bsa Sts 30mm Tactical Red Green Blue Dot Sight Matte Black With Light

Bsa Sts 30mm Tactical Red Green Blue Dot Sight Matte Black With Light

WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!! BSA STS 30MM RED DOT MATTE W/LIGHT Item #: BSASTSRD30LL Product Specifications UPC Code: 631618110975 Manufacturer: BSA Optics ...

BSA Optics Laser Sights Stealth Series Red Dot Flashlight & Laser Sight Black Matte Finish STSRD30LL. BSA Optics Stealth Series Red Dot Flashlight & L...
OpticsPlanet.com