Accepted

12 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Accepted - I'll Accept It

Mar 4, 2013 (Updated Mar 4, 2013)
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Action Factor:
  • Special Effects:
  • Suspense:

Pros:Justin Long, Lewis Black, quirky and endearing, a great message

Cons:A bit cheesy, used plot, more holes than swiss cheese (though it -is- a comedy...)

The Bottom Line: Though it's all-around average, I think it's a good watch at least once.

Plot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.

Plot

****
4 out of 5 stars

After a group of seniors finally graduate from high school, they discover they haven't been accepted to college anywhere. Averting crises with their parents, and led by notorious slacker Bartleby Gaines (Justin Long), they set off to create their own college -- but the charade eventually gets to be more than they can handle!

Writing

2 out of 5 stars

Okay, perhaps the least respectable part of Accepted is the writing. I like the story's idea, but the way it is written feels a bit half-baked. There are so many plot holes that I almost wonder if they didn't even intend to cover them up in the first place. It would be a lot of work.

Overall, however, I would give the writing a pat on the back for getting down the basics of cinematic storytelling. While my suspension of disbelief was beginning to go out the window, I was still attached to the characters and their struggle to keep South Harmon Institue of Technology (I'll let you figure out the acronym) alive.

Acting

***
3 out of 5 stars

I know everyone else says that Justin Long was the best part of the movie, but I'd have to disagree. The acting wasn't particularly subpar, and there were quite a few respectable names involved (i.e., Jonah Hill, who would soon after star in Superbad).

Most notable is, perhaps, Lewis Black. Though Long's character is the focus of the plot, Black's rants and raves are among the greatest scenes in the movie. He excels as the wild, contrarian academic, and exemplifies the message Accepted tries to send out.

Soundtrack

****
4 out of 5 stars

There's a few pretty good numbers on the soundtrack for Accepted, most notably for me being Let the Drummer Kick by Citizen Cope. Not only does the song match the scene, but it's just a good song in general! It also features the Pixies and Modest Mouse, so it's not short on big names.

In addition to the listed songs, the movie features other music as well, from even bigger names -- The Cure, Green Day, The Ramones. There's a whole scene where Justin Long sings "Blitzkrieg Bop"!

Finally,

As a bit of a self-proclaimed slacker myself who has been frequently disillusioned by the secondary education system, this movie really hit home. It wasn't so much about the quality of the movie as the message it had: learning doesn't have to be a borefest. Why not do what we love?

I think that if this movie had been too serious, it would have done exactly what it preached against. Sometimes, it's fine to have a little fun, be a little goofy, so long as you are enjoying yourself. Isn't that what life is all about anyways? ;D

Average Score: [***--] 3.25 out of 5 stars

Viewing Format: DVD
Video Occasion: Better than Watching TV
Suitability For Children: Suitable for Children Age 13 and Older

Accept - Metal Heart [vinyl New]

Accept - Metal Heart [vinyl New]

Recorded at Dierks-Studios, Cologne, Germany from October to December, 1984.Accept attempted again to crack the lucrative American market with their 1...

Accepting Me eBook

Accepting Me eBook

Buy Accepting Me by Jo Ramsey and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million Titles, Includ...
Kobo eBooks

Accept - Balls To The Wall - Cd

Accept - Balls To The Wall - Cd

Accept: Udo Dirkschneider (vocals); Wolf Hoffman, Hermann Frank (guitar); Peter Baltes (bass); Stefan Kaufmann (drums).Producer: Accept.Reissue produc...

Ebt Accepted Here Banner 6ft X 4ft Store Shop Business Sign

Ebt Accepted Here Banner 6ft X 4ft Store Shop Business Sign

EBT ACCEPTED HERE BANNER GET NOTICED!!!!! 6ft x 4ft EBT ACCEPTED HERE BANNER 13 OZ PREMIUM OUTDOOR BANNER, HEMMED, WITH GROMMETS IN ALL 4 CORNERS. FUL...

Accepted Tag (3 X 5-1/2 Inch) grn/wht, [PK/25]. Model: 5532-C-0

Accepted Tag (3 X 5-1/2 Inch) grn/wht, [PK/25]. Model: 5532-C-0

Accepted Tag, Material Cardstock, Legend Accept, Legend/background Color Green/white, Height 3 In., Width 5-1/2 In., Package Quantity 25
Grainger

Nike Men's Accept No Limits Graphic T-Shirt

Nike Men's Accept No Limits Graphic T-Shirt

Sport a motivational message anytime you wear the Nike´┐Ż Men's Accept No Limits Graphic T-Shirt. This slim fit tee delivers a close, comfortable feel...
Dick's Sporting Goods

CafePress Accept our Limits Light T-Shirt

CafePress Accept our Limits Light T-Shirt

100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Dickens Accepts The Queen's Highland Journal

Dickens Accepts The Queen's Highland Journal

Exquisitely crafted of porcelain this charming Department 56 Snow Village accessory piece is titled Dickens Accepts the Queen's Highland Journal a...
Bronners.com

Accepted By Inventory Control Labels

Accepted By Inventory Control Labels

High impact activities monitored security signs use unique shapes to maximize visibility.
Emedco